Sometimes cupcake recipes can go frosting-free, the cake a perfect dessert all on its own. These chocolate rum cupcakes, however, should always be presented as a package deal with their chocolate mousse frosting. The cake is heavy and almost bitter from blackstrap molasses and spiced rum. When matched with the sweet and airy chocolate mousse frosting, the chocolate rum cupcakes take on a new identity, seeming sweeter than they actually are – the bitterness is masked and flavor subtleties shine through.
I could eat a full-sized chocolate rum cupcake without a problem, but in the spirit of New Year’s resolutions – and because these cupcakes are pretty intense – I made them as minis. Of course, this also meant that I could comfortably have seconds when the complex, sophisticated flavor of these chocolate rum cupcakes left me urging for more.
Chocolate Rum Cupcakes with Chocolate Mousse Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ounce dark chocolate
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- chocolate mousse frosting get the chocolate mousse frosting recipe
- gold nonpareils optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix butter, molasses, and sugar until fully combined.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler.
- Once the melted chocolate is cool enough to touch, add it to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Mix in egg and egg yolk until just combined.
- Mix in vanilla and sour cream until just combined.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder into a separate medium-sized bowl. Use a fork or a whisk to ensure that the ingredients are mixed well after sifting.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in three additions, mixing until just combined after each addition.
- Mix in rum until just combined.
- Fill mini cupcake liners 2/3 full and put in the oven.
- Check for doneness at 12 minutes - a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake should come out clean. If they are not done, check again every three minutes until they are done.
- Immediately remove cupcakes from the cupcake tin and place on a cooling rack or on the counter to cool to room temperature.
- Pipe with chocolate mousse frosting.
- Optionally, roll the bottom edge of the frosting in gold nonpareils.