Everything is better with chocolate – including gingerbread. These chocolate gingerbread pretzel cookies have all of gingerbread’s spices with the addition of melted dark chocolate.
Of course, the most fun part about these cookies is that they look like pretzels. The “salt” is really turbinado (raw) sugar.
Chocolate Gingerbread Pretzel Cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces dark chocolate melted and cooled just until you are comfortable touching it
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix sugar, butter, and molasses until smooth.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the chocolate.
- In separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time until just combined.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of dough (about 1 1/2 ounces) and roll it into a snake about 10" long. If the dough is sticky, use a little flour on the counter. I found that I did not need any flour. If you do use flour, use it sparingly and brush off any from the top of the pretzels as best as you can prior to baking.
- Twist the snake into a pretzel shape.
- Transfer the pretzel to a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush with a little bit of heavy whipping cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. The heavy whipping cream acts as a glue for the sugar.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pretzels feel solid to the touch.
- Cool on a cooling rack.