After creating my margarita Chex Mix, I was excited to combine snack time and dessert time and create Chex Mix cupcakes. To make Chex Mix cupcakes, use less flour than you normally would in a cupcake recipe and replace the missing flour with ground up Chex Mix (it works really well!). The result is a cupcake that takes on the flavor of whatever variety of Chex Mix you decide to use. You can even taste the Chex itself (although, the crunch will be gone).
Play up the taste of your Chex Mix by using a similarly flavored frosting. I used my newly created margarita buttercream frosting which I now can’t wait to try on my margarita cupcakes!
Chex Mix Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup food-processed Chex Mix any flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
Margarita Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A handful of Chex Mix for topping cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix sugar, flour, ground Chex Mix, baking soda, baking powder, and butter until fully combined.
- Mix in egg.
- Mix in milk, a little at a time.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Margarita Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Beat butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Mix in lime zest, tequila, and salt until fully combined.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Top with Chex Mix just before serving.
I periodically run a Facebook event called Cupcake Roulette. The winner gets paired with me and I develop a recipe or two inspired by something on their site. The winner of the most recent Cupcake Roulette was Jasey’s Crazy Daisy! Although she has a ton of fun recipes on her site, I was most excited by her Cinnamon Bun Chex Mix. It sounds phenomenal! She inspired me to try my own hand at a homemade Chex Mix recipe and these Chex Mix cupcakes.