I’ve never been a fan of the red-dyed, corn syrup filled maraschino cherries. Since cupcakes are known for their cherries on top, I’ve made two wonderful versions of homemade maraschino cherries (classic maraschino cherries made with alcohol and kid-friendly maraschino cherries). This year, I present something completely new – cherry cola “maraschino” cherries!! If you love cherry cola, you are going to adore these cherries loaded with cola flavor. Use cherry cola “maraschino” cherries to top cupcakes, garnish ice cream, fill a pie, or even to eat on their own as a refreshing snack!
The only tough part of making homemade maraschino cherries is pitting all the fresh cherries.
I recently received a Tovolo cherry pitter (available on Amazon) which lets me pit seven cherries at once, and it makes the whole process go SO much faster! I made a little video to show you how easy it is:
Tovolo has so many fun and useful products and I’ll be sharing more of them with you in the next couple of weeks!
Cherry Cola “Maraschino” Cherries
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cola to a boil.
- Add the cherries.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the cola has a bit of a cherry flavor. (Yes, tasting is part of the recipe. This is the rough part. :) ) You don't want to cook the cherries - you just want to bring out some of their flavor.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the entire contents to a bowl to stop the cherries from cooking.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer cherries and liquid to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Wait at least three days and then top your cupcakes, shakes, ice cream sodas, sundaes, Shirley Temples, and anything else you can think of with the cherries.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Tovolo.