Fall baking season is finally here! Hooray! Get ready for pumpkin, apple, and lots of cornbread! These chai-spiced pumpkin thumbprint cookies with chocolate are my new favorite cookies for fall and should be right there on your fall bucket list next to snuggling in a cable knit throw blanket. In fact, I highly recommend that you combine those two bucket list items and snuggle in that throw while you eat these thumbprint cookies!
My throw, shown in these photos, is sold by Boll & Branch (who I’m thrilled to have as a sponsor of this post). It’s 100% organic cotton! I was so cozy in it with my cookies that I almost fell asleep at least three times during the photoshoot. Jonathan had to snap me out of my stupor with his firm direction, “Keep holding the book up!” Ah, the rough life of a hand model. :)
The photo above was better for me in that I didn’t need to hold anything. But, I was sad because I was standing and helping with the styling when all I wanted to do was just get back under the throw. Seriously, this throw blanket is like wearing a cable knit sweater around your whole body. I want to carry it around with me
These pumpkin thumbprint cookies are super easy to make. They are a one bowl recipe that requires no resting time in the refrigerator and no rolling pin. I make them with pumpkin puree. Instead of using a traditional pumpkin spice blend, I give them a chai spice upgrade. Of course, the chocolate in the middle is the little piece that puts them over the top into the must-have-these-all-fall-long category!
Grab the recipe below and grab the blanket at Boll & Branch!
Chai-Spiced Pumpkin and Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until fully combined.
- Mix in the egg yolks.
- Mix in pureed pumpkin, flour, cardamom, allspice, cinnamon, clove, ginger, black pepper, and salt until it a thick dough forms.
- Scoop out balls of dough about two teaspoons in size and place them on a parchment- or Silpat-lined cookie sheet about one inch apart from each other.
- Use your thumb or pointer finger to make a divot in the center of each ball of dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cookies darken slightly in color.
- Remove cookies from the oven and, while they are still hot, deepen any of the divots with your finger as needed.
- Place on a cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in 20 second intervals in the microwave until all the chips are melted, stirring between each interval.
- Spoon a small amount of filling into each of the divots.