As kids, most of us never encountered aioli. There was only mayonnaise, and it came in one flavor, Hellmann’s. Now, gourmet flavored mayos (a.k.a. aiolis) are all over the menus of so many of my favorite restaurants. I’d been thinking about making my own for a while. When I spun the Cupcake Roulette wheel, landed on Kristel’s blog, Stirring Things Up, and saw her recipe for homemade mayonnaise, I knew it was the time to try homemade mayo.
I don’t ever leave well enough alone, so after I made the mayo (umm.. I had no idea how easy that was!), I proceeded to turn the mayonnaise into caramel apple aioli.
The caramel apple aioli still tastes like mayo, but with the distinctive flavor of a caramel apple. It’s a little sweet, but not so sweet that it can’t easily be used on savory dishes. Caramel apple aioli is fabulous with sweet potato fries. It also works well on burgers, ham and turkey sandwiches, and sausage.
I’d love to hear how you use this caramel apple aioli – leave me a comment!
Caramel Apple Aioli Recipe
Caramel Apple Aioli
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped apple
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons mayonnaise
- caramel from above
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir continuously until just boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream until just combined.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Chill in a sealed container until ready to eat.