Start off Mom’s morning right this Mother’s Day with a Bellini cupcake – the cupcake version of the classic champagne and peach cocktail. To make the Bellini cupcakes, start with light champagne cupcakes (with a full cup of champagne in the batter), fill them with burnt peach puree, and top them with a burnt peach buttercream. Sprinkle sparkly sanding sugar over the cupcakes to give them the festive feel of the fizz of a freshly opened bottle of champagne. The only thing missing from the experience will be the pop of the cork.
- 3 large egg whites from large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup champagne
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
Filling and Frosting Ingredients
- 15 oz can sliced peaches
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter same as 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- White sanding sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In small bowl, mix egg whites and champagne. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix butter into dry ingredients until it resembles moist crumbs.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Divide evenly between twelve cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Filling and Frosting Directions:
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized skillet on medium heat.
- Drain and discard liquid from peach can.
- Use a towel to pat dry the peach slices, removing excess moisture.
- Place the peaches in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for about three minutes or until the bottom side is browned, then flip.
- Repeat until all sides of the peaches are browned.
- Remove peaches from skillet and cool.
- Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree the peaches.
- Use a small paring knife or cupcake corer to remove a piece of cake from the center of each cooled cupcake. (You will not need the pieces that you remove, so feel free to eat them!)
- Fill each hole with approximately two teaspoons of the peach puree.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter on high speed for five minutes.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar and beat for another five minutes.
- Mix in vanilla extract, salt, and ¼ cup of peach puree and beat for two minutes.
- Pipe onto cupcakes using Wilton tip 4B.
- Sprinkle cupcakes with white sanding sugar.