Rather than making an apple cheesecake in the traditional way – where sweetened cooked apples are piled on top of a cooked cheesecake – my apple and honey cheesecake gets its apple flavor from apple chips in both the pecan shortbread crust and on top of the cheesecake.
At Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year, we eat apples and honey as a symbol the sweet times we hope for in the new year. Other than just dipping apples in honey (try this if you never have), lots and lots of honey cakes are consumed. This year, I’ve created a different kind of honey cake, an apple and honey cheesecake! I’m already eating a ton of it and the holiday isn’t even here yet!
Having never tried apple chips in a crust, I wasn’t at all certain if idea would work. Would they get super soggy?
As it turns out, apple chips are incredible in a crust! They retained their crunch and gave the entire crust an apple aroma and flavor. This appley crust would be wonderful for so many fall baked goods!
The cheesecake itself is made from a combination of cream cheese and yogurt, so it’s lighter than many other cheesecakes. And, it has such a lovely honey flavor.
I’m a crust lovin’ gal, and you can probably tell from the photos that my ratio of crust to cheesecake is almost 50/50. If you make this recipe in a 9″ round Springform, you’d be able to increase the cheesecake to crust ratio. I had some extra batter left over when I used my tart pan and baked that up in ramekins. It would all easily fit in the 9″ round.
Honey Cheesecake with Apple Pecan Shortbread Crust
Apple Pecan Shortbread Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 1/2 ounces apple chips crushed
Honey Cheesecake Ingredients
- 8 ounces full-fat plain yogurt room temperature (you can also use Greek yogurt)
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 large large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 ounces apple chips
Apple Pecan Shortbread Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use your hands to mix together all ingredients except apple chips.
- Mix in apple chips.
- Evenly press into the bottom of a greased 13" x 4" tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Place tart pan on a large cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
Honey Cheesecake Instructions
- Process all ingredients except apple chips until completely smooth.
- Pour over pre-baked crust until the pan is full. Pour any extra batter into a small springform or a ramekin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is still a little jiggly but the edges are completely set.
- Turn the oven off, but leave the cheesecake in the oven for another hour with the oven door cracked slightly to gradually cool the cake.
- Remove from the oven and, once the cheesecake cools to room temperature, place in the refrigerator to chill for at least three hours.
- Right before serving, crush half of the apple chips (the less pretty ones) and scatter them on top of the cheesecake.
- Arrange the remaining apple chips in a line (or whatever looks artful to you) across the top of the cheesecake.