I love the strong honey flavor of the cake, enhanced by the nectar of the Jews (Manischewitz Concord Grape wine), and the apples caramelized in brown sugar and spices in every bite are incredible.
You can use any honey to make this cake. See my post on baking with honey for the ins and outs of using honey in desserts.
One important thing to note is if you are taking this cake to a kosher home, it would only be able to be served during lunch Rosh Hashana. Dinner is almost always a meat meal this cake recipe contains butter.
For another fruit and honey cake, try my pear cake. It’s also a honey cake – this time made with poached pears and red wine.
Honey Cake with Apples
Apple Topping Ingredients
- 3 medium-sized apples cut into 16 slices each
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sweet red wine I used Manischewitz Concord Grape
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Apple Topping Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss apple slices in brown sugar and spices.
- Arrange apple slices in the bottom of a greased 10-cup bundt pan.
- Pour melted butter evenly over apple slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Boil wine in a small saucepan until it reduces by half to 3/4 cup (10-15 minutes). Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix butter, applesauce, honey, eggs, vanilla, and reduced wine until fully combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time until just combined.
- Pour batter over pre-baked apple topping. It will come almost to the top of the bundt pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes, then invert and cool on a cooling rack.