Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell

ice cream, fall, pumpkin

Pumpkin Pie Magic Shell

If you didn’t grow up eating Magic Shell on ice cream, you need a quick primer before I get into the specifics of my homemade pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell.

Smucker's Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping, Chocolate Flavor, 7.25-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 12)

Magic Shell is the ice cream topping that pours on to ice cream as a liquid and then instantly freezes into a hard shell.  When I was a kid, Magic Shell always meant hard chocolate topping.

View on Amazon.com

Smucker'S Magic Shell Vanilla Cupcake Flavored Topping, 7.25 Ounce (Pack of 12)

Now, there are a shocking number of Magic Shell flavors: caramel, Reese’s, creamsicle, root beer, pink lemonade, and even this vanilla cupcake flavor!

View on Amazon.com

But, all of those options weren’t enough for me!  I wanted to make homemade Magic Shell and I wanted a pumpkin pie spice flavor!

Pumpkin Pie Magic Shell

It turns out that Magic Shell’s magic is performed by coconut oil.  Coconut oil hardens immediately on contact with ice cream.  This pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell is made using a mixture of white chocolate and coconut oil along with pumpkin pie spice and a little salt and sugar.  It’s incredibly easy to make and creates the exact same results as the store-bought product.  My recent foray into homemade sprinkles got me jazzed about making piles of sprinkles in gobs of flavors.  Now, I’m getting excited about trying my hand at all kinds of homemade Magic Shell flavors!

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell Recipe

This pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell recipe is an adaptation of the creamsicle Magic Shell by Juanita’s Cocina.

Frontier Pumpkin Pie Spice Salt-Free Blend, 1.92-Ounce Bottle

The key to the flavor of this Magic Shell is pumpkin pie spice.  If you aren’t able to find the spice mixture in your area, you can buy it online or make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice.

View on Amazon.com

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell

• 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon powdered sugar

1. Using a double boiler or a glass or metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water, slowly melt the white chocolate chips.
  2. While still over the double boiler, mix in the coconut oil until fully combined and then mix in the pumpkin pie spice, salt, and powdered sugar.
  3. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
  4. Pour over ice cream.
  5. Wait for the homemade Magic Shell to harden.
  6. Crack and eat!

13 comments on “Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell”

1. Lindsay says:

How much does this make? Enough to top 1 bowl of ice cream?

2. Love this! I have not ventured into the world of creating Magic Shells, but this sounds super easy!

3. mom929 says:

This sounds yummy and fun. I love to make homemade gifts from my kitchen at the holidays and am always on the lookout for something new and different. This sounds like a fun idea, and I could put together a sundae gift basket. Does this keep or do you have to poor it right over ice cream when you make it? How do you keep it? (fridge or shelf?). How would you package it?

• Stef says:

I’ve been keeping mine on the shelf. You could package it in a jar. You’d just want to give it a stir before using. I’m not really sure how long it would last, but there is nothing particularly perishable in it so I image it would last quite a while.

4. Kristina says:

You’re like a mad scientist of the kitchen!!

5. See? Ice cream is clearly a year-round deal. It’s not just for summer!

Thanks for linking to my recipe!

6. Debbie says:

Hi! Great recipe – and I’m wondering the same thing as is Mom 929. I’d love to make this and include it in holiday gift baskets. Thanks!

7. Rebecca S. says:

I have always loved Magic Shell! I so love you for posting this recipe and I can’t wait to try and make it!!!

8. Cuando llega el invierno, el primero que hacer es cálido, una chaqueta ligera es la mejor opción para mantener el calor, y la mayoría de la gente piensa que llevaba una chaqueta de abajo es muy torpe, usar una campera de abrigo, llevaba un pequeño punto, todavía resisten el invierno, hermoso y no tiene miedo Usted puede hacer lo mismo frío de este invierno va a ser una chaqueta Fashion Week!

9. Joyous says:

GENIUS!! I am making this tonight ~ “since” I’m still up baking for Thanksgiving! I think this is going to go wonderfully well over the ice cream on top of the apple pie! Thank you for this recipe!

*I may find out before you have a chance to reply.. but do you have to use this right away.. or if you store it, will the coconut oil and white chocolate harden back up, without ice cream… We’ll see soon!

Happy Thanksgiving!