Frosting shots as you know them (little cups filled with frosting that you can purchase at trendy cupcake shops) have just been rendered obsolete. Meet cupcakes made entirely of frosting!
These extreme frosting shots start with an edible chocolate cup filled with your favorite kind of frosting.
Hmm… is that too much for you? OK – let’s make that a mini.
Nah, the mini isn’t nearly as much fun! Let’s make a full-sized extreme frosting shot, and pipe a second flavor of frosting on top of the first one.
The Back Story / What Nurses Want
I created this cupcake for reader Kelly who approached me asking for a special cupcake for National Nurses Week (May 6-12). Her email to me read:
This year, and every year I do something special for the nurses I work with and surprise them with a daily treat. We are a medium sized staff of Maternity Nurses and love what we do and really love each other – how rare is my job?! Right? For one of my daily treats this year I would love to do a special Nurse’s Cupcake but I am no Stef and while I can follow a recipe, I have no talent in creating one. Do you have a spark of an idea rattling around in your wonderfully creative brain?
She then provided me with a list of what the nurses on her floor would love. I tried to incorporate as many of her list items as possible into these frosting cupcakes. I used mocha cream cheese frosting and Baileys Irish Cream buttercream frosting because of the maternity nurses’ love for chocolate, coffee, and a stiff drink. I hope they enjoy these cupcakes as my small token of appreciation for the work that they do!
Here’s the list Kelly sent over:
- We run on coffee – it’s portable, hot, bracing, and smells better than some places we go …
- Chocolate is the international favorite flavor of nurses
- We appreciate a stiff drink at the end of a 12 hour shift like no one else can
- We are always, always hungry
- We are always, always on a diet (which ends at the first sight of chocolate)
- We wolf down our food unless it is piping hot, which it never is but if it is hot by some miracle, we wolf a little slower to prevent burns
- We know the value of high sugar content and the dangers of low blood sugar
- We can be ‘bought’ with sweets
- When stressed past our limits and down to our last nerve, we know cake makes it all better
- Large portions are good, portable large portions are better
- Frosting is its own food group and should have a minimum daily requirement
- Our feet hurt, our backs hurt, we are starving but don’t have time to eat, we have too many patients and not enough hands to do all we need to do, but we still get ‘er done with a smile and a comforting hand