An Extreme Super Bowl Cupcake Makeover for Easter Eggs | Cupcake Project

An Extreme Super Bowl Cupcake Makeover for Easter Eggs

A couple of years ago, I introduced you to cupcakes baked in real egg shells. Cracking open an egg shell to reveal a cupcake inside is one of those rare food surprises that leaves even the most jaded of adults with a sense of childhood wonder and awe.  This year, I am turning the Easter cupcake phenomenon into a Super Bowl sensation.

Skip the pastels and dye your egg to look like a football, hide a chocolate cupcake inside, and get ready for kickoff!

How to Make Super Bowl Football Cupcakes Baked in Real Egg Shells

I probably should have cleaned the brown dye off of my fingers pre-photo. ;)

To make these Super Bowl Football Cupcakes baked in real egg shells, I used the same technique that I used with the Easter cupcakes baked in egg shells, only I used chocolate cupcake batter.  You can find all of the instructions and step-by-step photos in that post.

After preparing the egg shells (removing the innards, soaking them in salt water, rinsing, and drying them off), you’ll need to dye them to look like footballs.  Don’t try to dye them before preparing them or the dye will wash off in the prep process (spoken from experience).

To make the eggs look like footballs, you’ll need:

First, draw the stitching on the egg using a crayon.  Ideally, you’d do this in white, but it’s really hard to draw with a white crayon on a white egg and get lines that are remotely straight.  I opted for a light green crayon (grey would have been an even better choice).  When you submerge the egg in the dye, the dye won’t stick to the wax and you’ll be able to clearly see your lines.

Next, it’s time to dye the eggs.  In preparing to make these Super Bowl football dyed eggs, I did a lot of research on egg dying.  Most sites said something similar to Martha Stewart’s guide: use 20 drops of food coloring, one cup of hot water, and one teaspoon of vinegar.  When I followed this technique, my white eggs ended up looking like brown eggs (I could have just bought those), not dark brown football eggs.  I turned to the Cupcake Project Facebook Community for advice.  Many of you suggested using more vinegar.  It worked!

Tips for Creating Dark Brown Eggs

• Use more than 20 drops of dye (start there, but add more until you get a color you like).
  • Use more than 1 teaspoon of vinegar.  Start with a tablespoon and add more until you are happy with the result.
  • Leave the egg shells in the dye for at least 3 minutes. I dipped some of mine for 5-10 minutes.  (This is a good activity to do while watching a favorite TV series that you’ve already seen – Dawson’s Creek is my latest show of choice.)
  • Dip the egg shell a second time if it’s not dark enough after the first time.

Don’t Fumble

The hardest part of making football cupcake eggs is filling the football eggs with the correct amount of batter.  If you fumble by filling an egg shell with too little batter, the cupcake football ends up as a sad half of a ball.  But, if you overfill an egg shell, it overflows as it bakes onto the outside of the shell.  When you peel the cake off the shell, the color comes off as well (very upsetting after you spend all of that time dying it).  Shoot for halfway full or choose a recipe that doesn’t rise very much – I’d love to try filling the eggshells with fudgey brownie batter!

Touchdown!

I hope these are a touchdown at your Super Bowl party!  Leave me a comment or post some photos on the Cupcake Project Facebook page to share your success!

P.S.  If you want a second cupcake (which of course you do), I suggest giving my CNN-featured Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes, or my beer cheese cupcakes with bacon and cheddar frosting a try!

19 Responses to An Extreme Super Bowl Cupcake Makeover for Easter Eggs

1. Tash @ The Velvet Moon Baker January 7, 2013 at 2:51 am #

How cute is this idea. Just lovely :D

2. Kristin January 7, 2013 at 4:27 am #

You are so clever! Super cute!

3. Leslie January 7, 2013 at 4:30 am #

These are just the cutest must ingenious little things ever!

4. Kamaile January 7, 2013 at 9:26 am #

these are adorable! I don’t watch the Super Bowl, but if I got invited to a party, I would totally bring these.

5. Ruby@Boot Liners January 8, 2013 at 1:45 am #

You are so creative. I personally like this cute idea.

6. Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 4:06 am #

how do you fill the egg though ?

• Stef January 11, 2013 at 11:13 am #

I have a link to all of the instructions in the post.

7. Candy Cane January 21, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Would it be easier to just use brown eggs?

8. Dina January 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

very cute! i think the color from the dye looks more like a football than brown eggs would.

9. Louisse Campbell February 6, 2013 at 6:50 am #

Wow! Cupcakes baked in real egg shells?! That’s interesting! I just do wonder if they had to use some batch oven in baking it faster?

10. Gopi June 20, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Sun in or lemon juice i guess.But not pure lemon juice, mix it with water.It will lighten your hair and maybe over time it will get dirty blnode.

11. bowling with a fingertip ball October 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that
    automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some
    time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with
    something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward
    to your new updates.

12. free November 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely useful information specifically the last part :) I
    care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular info for
    a long time. Thank you and good luck.

13. Gene Cox January 8, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. It will be such a surprise for everyone, and we are having a big party. Thanks for the great idea!

• Stef January 8, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

Thanks! Enjoy!

1. Super Bowl Football Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - May 27, 2013

[...] If you really want to surprise your friends and family on Super Bowl Sunday, then make them a batch of these Super Bowl Football Cupcakes. The cupcakes are baked inside of an emptied, washed and dried eggshell, so that they need to the cracked open to get at the cake inside. While this sounds like a complicated set up, it is not as impossible as it seems. Before baking (but after emptying, washing and drying the shells) dye them to look like footballs. Voila! Source Cupcake Project [...]

2. Super Bowl Recipes Round-Up! - Princess Pinky Girl - January 6, 2014

[...] Cupcake in an Eggshell! | Cupcake Project [...]

3. Super Bowl Seven Layer Dip As You've Never Seen It Before | Cupcake Project - January 6, 2014

[...] Football Cupcakes Baked in Real Eggs [...]