Spam Cupcakes – A Sweet and Salty Delight | Cupcake Project

Spam Cupcakes – A Sweet and Salty Delight

If Cupcake Project were written in the 1950′s…

It’s a proud moment when a housewife can offer her husband cupcakes of her own making after he returns from a hard day’s work!  These Spam cupcakes are not for youngsters.  They are the kind of cupcakes that are most any man’s favorite.  The appetizing flavor and value of Spam makes it the perfect addition to this sweet treat.  Frost the Spam cupcakes with a spiced cream cheese frosting for a pleasing color contrast. Add a candied spam topping – not only for looks – but to bring a delightful crunch to the cupcake.

Although there is only one Spam cupcake recipe here, I’m sure you’ll be able to come up with your own varieties if you like to dabble in a little kitchen magic.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
2/3 cup pineapple juice
3 cups food processed Spam (for best results, start with homemade Spam)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Using an electric mixer on high speed, mix brown sugar, molasses, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and butter for about three minutes.  Mix in eggs until fully combined.  Mix in sour cream and pineapple juice until just combined.   Place a thin layer of Spam at the bottom of 16 cupcake liners (for best results, use the baking tool that modern women love, silicone liners).  Fill the Spam-coated liners with batter.  Sprinkle the remaining Spam on top of the batter.  Bake for 25 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.

Yield: 16 cupcakes

Frost with spiced cream cheese frosting made by mixing 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter with 8 ounces of room temperature cream cheese, two cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice.

Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with candied Spam.

Although this Spam cupcake is designed to seem like a vintage recipe, I developed the recipe myself and the photo was taken and made to look vintage by J. Pollack Photography.  Special thanks goes out to everyone who submitted photos to the Vintage Cookbook group on Flickr.  Those photos helped me tremendously in capturing the essence of the period.

18 Responses to Spam Cupcakes – A Sweet and Salty Delight

1. Anonymous June 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

this is disgusting. not reading this blog evert again.

• Elizabeth July 5, 2012 at 10:29 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

2. Anonymous June 22, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Sooooo disgusting, makes me not want to continue looking at this site if these are the types of items that are going to be highlighted! yuk!

3. cakes June 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

My friend tried you recipe and it’s great. I love it. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

4. Anonymous June 23, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Stef Help PLEASE!! I melted chocolate to add to some cupcakes. I mixed it with the flour and butter and BP but i think it cooked the flour cause after all the ingredients were added the mix was somewhat hard instead of somewhat liquid. What did i do wrong? Was the chocolate too hot?

• Stef June 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Hmm.. it could be. What recipe were you using?

• SunStorm June 24, 2012 at 4:55 am #

For all my cupcakes i use as a basic recipe your Banana Strawberry recipe but without bananas or strawberries.

5. Kamaile June 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Very interesting…this is something I probably wouldn’t try if I knew what it was. Do you have any opinions from taste testers to vouch for their yumminess/not so yumminess?

• Kamaile June 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

PS. Was the texture like a normal cupcake? I’m imagining cake with goopy meat texture….

• Stef June 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Everyone loved them. I actually couldn’t believe how good they were. The texture was the same as a normal cupcake that has some kind of a mixin. Not at all goopy.

• Kamaile June 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

intriguing. Maybe I’ll be brave and give it a go someday.

6. Belle June 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

My hubby loves Spam. I am going to HAVE to try these! Maybe for our 4th of July party.

7. Elizabeth July 5, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Hah, that is so odd. Don’t think I would ever make, seeing as we are vegetarian. I saw once where a woman make a meatloaf cake for her son’s wedding, the frosting was mashed potatoes. I enjoyed the earlier post about homemade spam,too. Always wondered about that stuff. There is a spam museum in Austin MN and when we drive from WI to IA to visit friends we go right past it. It has never been open on any of out trips.

8. Nette July 13, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Wanted help in making a “dessert” SPAM cupcake and was delighted to find this recipe. Cupcakes are in the oven now! Can’t wait to taste the finished product!

9. Jasry August 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Every once in a loooong while, I get a weird craving for a fried Spam sandwich. I may have to try this… someday.

10. Anonymous October 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

this is stupid

11. AJ May 28, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

Made these for a Luau, The flavor was not good. Threw them out and made chocolate spam cupcakes instead, Much better!!

• Stef May 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Sorry to hear that. I’d be curious to see the recipe that you prefer.