Shoofly Pie Cupcakes

Shoofly Pie Cupcakes

If you saw my post on shoofly pie bars, you now know what shoofly pie is (if you didn’t see the post, have a look).  I could say that shoofly pie cupcakes are my cupcake interpretation of shoofly pie.  But, it’s more fun to say that shoofly pie cupcakes are the cupcake version of shoofly pie bars, which are the bar version of shoofly pie.

Shoofly pie cupcakes are sticky sweet cupcakes made with sugar syrup and brown sugar crumbs.  They are best served warm with whipped cream or à la mode.

Shoofly Pie Cupcake Recipe

The recipe for my shoofly pie cupcakes comes from Sallie’s guest post on Not So Humble Pie. Here’s my adaptation of her recipe.

Shoofly Pie Cupcakes

Yield: 15 cupcakes

Shoofly Pie Cupcakes

For the crumbs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • For the syrup filling
  • 3/4 cup syrup (I used Lyle's Golden Syrup. See my post on shoofly pie bars for other options.)
  • 3/4 cup hot (but not boiling) water
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • For the whipped cream
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons crumbs (from above)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

Prepare the crumbs
  1. In a small mixing bowl, mix all of the crumb ingredients together. I do this part by hand. The crumbs will be small and loose, like fine breadcrumbs.
  2. Set two tablespoons of crumbs aside to use in the whipped cream.
  3. Prepare the syrup filling
  4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the syrup filling ingredients.
  5. Prepare the cupcakes
  6. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  7. Fill the cupcake liners one third full with packed down crumbs.
  8. Pour about 3 tablespoons of the syrup over the crumbs. I used four tablespoons on mine and some of them overflowed in the oven.
  9. Top the syrup with another layer of crumbs.
  10. Bake for 10 minutes.
  11. Lower heat to 350 F and bake for another 20 minutes.
  12. Prepare the whipped cream.
  13. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  14. Mix in crumbs and sugar.
  15. Pipe on warm cupcakes and enjoy!

How Much Whipped Cream Do You Like?

In the photo at the top of this post, I featured the shoofly pie cupcake with a huge mound of whipped cream.  I (and the majority of people in the Cupcake Project Facebook community who I polled) think it looks best this way.  However, if simplicity is your style, check out the alternate presentation of these cupcakes with just a small dollop of whipped cream that I shared on the Cupcake Project Facebook page.

15 comments on “Shoofly Pie Cupcakes”

1. Leslie says:

Lyles Golden Syrup rocks….I always use it in place of corn syrup!!!!

2. Shee says:

Hello :)

I just stumbled upon your blog and I like what I see. I added you to my subscriptions.

I would like to help you out by expanding your online presence. I am part of a team of website design creators that work on

blogspot templates. We have a promotional going-on right now, if you’re interested check us out:

Either way, keep up the good work. I will be following along :)

3. Deb says:

What a amazing cupcake! Adore the Shoofly layers in your photo, makes for a very appealing dessert.

4. Anonymous says:

Can honey be used instead of syrup?

5. Dina says:

great idea! always looking for another use for golden syrup.

6. Mauree, Milwaukee says:

These look fantastic! Can you clarify – is it 3 tbsp of syrup per cupcake?

7. Stef says:

Mauree- Yes, 3 tablespoons in each cupcake.

8. Stef says:

Anon – I bet it would be good. I haven’t ever tried it though, so no promises.

9. RétroCheap says:

It looks very tasty *w*
    Amazing (:

10. Denise Evans says:

Stef, when I was a kid, my PA Dutch grandma would make shoofly pie for my birthday. Thanks so much for posting. I told Craig I would lay off dessert-making for a while, but not until we have these.

11. I like that that you say {as|like} my friend thanks

12. Isabella says:

These cupcakes are truly unique and delicious. I used Golden Eagle syrup from Public. They were a bit difficult to get out of the wrapper but tasted wonderful.

13. frankie says:

when I was little my grandma use to make shoe fly pie for christmas. My mom carried it on when we would move( dad in service)then when we anchored on the farm it became an every holiday dessert. Our family loves shoe fly pie. Now mom and grandma have passsed and it has become my responciblity to have the shoe fly pie on the table at gatherings. Won’t the family be surprised when there are cupcakes or bars there instead and still shoefly pie taste.
    Thank you maybe a new tradition to start! :)