Cross a cheese biscuit with angel food cake and you get Parmesan sour cream cupcakes. They’re buttery, airy, sticky and sugary on the edges, and they have a tang from Parmesan that works in a cupcake so much better than you would ever expect. If you like the combination of sweet and salty, this is a cupcake for you.
The Parmesan sour cream cake recipe came from Susan at LunaCafe. She was inspired to develop the recipe after trying Parmesan pound cake at Metrovino in Portland, Oregon. Susan had the following to say about her version of the Parmesan cake:
This is one of the most delectable butter cakes in my repertoire. It’s unlikely that anyone will detect the parmesan if not told in advance of its presence. It adds an extra something though that is irresistible (umami), and yes, possibly addictive.
Parmesan Sour Cream Cupcake Recipe
As noted above, the cake recipe came from LunaCafe. I am printing it below with my notes, conversion to cupcakes, and my original raspberry whipped cream recipe.
Baking With Cheese
If you like the idea of cheese in your cupcakes, I’ve got many other cheesy cupcakes for you to explore:
- Cranberry and Cheese Danish Cupcakes
- Apple Bacon Cheddar Cupcakes with Mesquite Buttercream
- Sweet Pea and Ricotta Cupcakes
- Quince, Manchego, and Ritz Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Wine and Cheese Cupcakes
- Savory Cupcakes – Fig, Goat Cheese, and Onion
- The Devil and The Monk (made with trappist cheese)
- Peach Pie with Brie
- Beer Cheese Cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting
- Black Bottom Cupcakes With Goat Cheese