The Everything Fall Cupcake – Pumpkin, Apple, Maple, Spiced Rum, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Cranberry | Cupcake Project

Fall brings reds, oranges, yellows, and purples; there’s no one color to represent Autumn.  Likewise, this year I thought that a single (or even two or three) Fall flavor(s) in a cupcake would not do.  I decided to combine some past single-flavor Fall cupcake favorites into one Everything Fall Cupcake recipe.  What you see above are (take a deep breath) pumpkin, spiced rum, and maple cupcakes topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting and dried cranberries – with brown sugar frosting-topped apple cobbler cupcakes baked inside.

I created the Everything Fall Cupcake for a very special event that you are all attending whether you knew it or not…

You’ve arrived at the first stop on CakeSpy’s virtual book tour for her first book, CakeSpy Presents Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life.

While I admire many food blogs for their tempting recipes, personable and descriptive writing, and mouthwatering food photography, I am most impressed with blogs that show creativity.  Jessie Oleson (CakeSpy) has one of the most creative blogs out there.  She combines her so-cute-you-want-to-pinch-them cartoons – featuring the now famous (in the cupcake world) cupcake character, Cuppie – with over-the-top recipes that always make me wonder why no one thought of them before.

Although I haven’t met Jessie, we’ve emailed and tweeted over the years and she was a judge in this year’s Ice Cream Cupcake Contest!  I was so stoked to not only get a review copy of her book, but also to be the first stop on the virtual book tour!

When perusing Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life to decide what to bake for you for on the tour stop (what would a baking book tour be without sweet treats?), my choice was clear.  In her book, Jessie creates the cupcake in a cupcake – genius!!  The Everything Fall Cupcake is my own take on her creation (which, by the way, is her take on the work of her friend Megan Seling from Bake It In a Cake).  If her cupcakes in cupcakes idea hadn’t existed, though, I would still have had many over-the-top outrageous recipes to choose from.  In Jessie’s book, there are recipes for grilled cheesecake (two slices of pound cake with cheesecake in the middle), blondie-topped brownies (um, yum!), and the Pookie, a cookie-coated pie (that can’t be bad!).   Grab a copy of the book now (or add it now to your holiday wish list) for tons of inspired recipe ideas or just to see more of Cuppie and friends.

To catch the rest of CakeSpy’s virtual tour, visit these blogs over the next two weeks:

October 11: Bake It in a Cake!
October 13: Dessert First
October 14: Cookie Madness
October 15: Bake and Destroy
October 16: Piece of Cake
October 17: Not Martha

October 20: Blondie and Brownie

To learn how to win a signed copy of  Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life, be sure to stop by the Cupcake Project Facebook page in the next couple of days!

More About Cupcakes In Cupcakes

When you bake a cupcake inside of a cupcake, you end up with a little cupcake nipple poking out of the top of the original cupcake.  This is normal, and as you can see in the photo at the top of this post, once you frost the cupcakes, no one will ever know it was there.

Cupcakes inside of cupcakes open up a whole new realm of cupcake possibilities.  Take any two cupcake and frosting flavors you love and you might love them even more in the same cupcake!  Not only do you achieve different but complementary flavors in one bite, but you also end up with varied textures, a super moist center from the twice-baked cupcake, a typical cupcake texture from the normal-sized cupcake, and a top that has flaky crunchy bits from the mini-cupcake’s frosting spreading and caramelizing.

Warning:  If you are one of those people who likes to keep all of their food groups separate on the plate (no peas touching the mashed potatoes), cupcakes in cupcakes are not for you.

How to Make The Everything Fall Cupcake

As I mentioned above, every component of these cupcakes has been featured on Cupcake Project before.  So, rather than a recipe for the Everything Fall Cupcake, I’ve shared assembly instructions with you:

1. Bake mini apple cobbler cupcakes. To make the minis, chop the apple pieces a bit smaller than in the big cupcakes and cut the baking time down to fifteen minutes.  You’ll end up with way more than you need if you follow the recipe exactly.  If you don’t want a ton of extras (why wouldn’t you want extras, though?), cut the recipe in half.
  2. Frost the mini cupcakes with brown sugar frosting.
  3. Freeze the frosted cupcakes.
  4. Prepare the batter for pumpkin maple rum cupcakes.
  5. Fill normal-sized cupcake liners half full with the batter.
  6. Remove the liners from the frozen frosted apple cobbler cupcakes.
  7. Place a frozen cupcake into the center of each prepared pumpkin cupcake.  This should push the pumpkin batter two-thirds of the way up the liner.
  8. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
  9. Frost with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
  10. Top with dried cranberries.

One More Note of Thanks

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on Facebook with their favorite Fall flavors.  You were a great help to me in putting this cupcake together.

35 Responses to The Everything Fall Cupcake – Pumpkin, Apple, Maple, Spiced Rum, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Cranberry

1. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker October 10, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Wow! A double cupcake! What does it mean? It means wonderful yumminess! Can’t wait to try. The combinations are limitless!

2. Carrie October 10, 2011 at 8:26 am #

I want I want I want!

3. lauren October 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

If I was two bake two cupcakes into one I would bake a apple cupcake, then have a brown sugar cupcake with cinnamon frosting.

• Ashley October 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

I love the everything fall cupcake! But, I wanted to try something new, so I baked an apple cobbler mini cupcake with brown sugar frosting into a snickerdoodle cupcake and iced it with ultimate vanilla frosting. It was AMAZING!!

4. caaaaragh October 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

A pear white chocolate inside a French toast cupcake with mascarpone frosting

5. drakyn October 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

If I had the choice of baking two cupcakes together, I would have one as a pistachio cupcake….and the little one as a rocky road (chocolate, almonds, mini marshmallows). I would then frost with a light, fluffy white chocolate/marshmallow frosting….or instead of the marshmallow, almond sounds amazing. =) Sounds like a dream come true!!

6. Stef October 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Lauren and Caaaaragh – Be sure to enter on FB. I’m so sorry for the confusion, but the contest is on FB, not on this post.

7. SharonDavis October 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Coconut inside chocolate! Or vanilla inside orange! I have got to try this soon. Great idea!

8. Stef October 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Never mind – I just took everyone who entered on the blog and copied it onto FB for you. I felt bad for the confusion.

9. sweetsimplestuff October 11, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Oh my gosh! You did get everything in one cupcake … I want it.

10. Elise October 11, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Awesome idea! I love all of those ingredients!

11. Brooketini! October 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

This is an AMAZING idea!!!! opens this whole other door for cupcake flavors!!

12. Sarah October 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Hi Stef! In your recipe for the Brown Sugar Frosting, you suggest using either light or dark sugar. Which one would you use for this particular recipe?? As always, thanks for sharing your amazing creations!

13. Stef October 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Sarah – Great question. I used dark for this recipe. Either would work, but I wanted a stronger deeper flavor.

14. Juls October 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

I love this cupcake in a cupcake idea! The possibilities are endless! What a great recipe – thanks for it!

15. Sarah October 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Woah!!! A cupcake INSIDE another cupcake!!! This just blows my mind…

16. Rachel @ Bakerita October 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

Double cupcake?! You’re a genius. Seriously.
    So trying this this weekend…can’t wait.

17. Sue October 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Your frosting and decoration on these cupcakes is gorgeous. So beautiful I couldn’t help myself and promised I would bake a batch of these for my friend that sent me a link here. Looking forward to trying them! Never thought of a cupcake inside a cupcake. Great idea!!!

18. flyon_littlewing October 15, 2011 at 8:15 am #

What an absolutely wonderful idea, I will be trying this soon! I can imagine christmas flavours too – The possibilities are endless. Thanks for this inspiring recipe Steph x

19. Glenys@CupcakeCity October 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I am kinda jealous at the way you have really got 4 seasons to inspire your cooking. We only get a coulpe of weeks tops for Fall in Australia and certainly don’t see quite the same colour change. Love the fun idea of a cupcake in a cupcake :)

20. Mimi's Fairy Cakes October 16, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

I tried them on my blog (http://mimis-fairycakes.blogspot.com) and I have to say: They are totally amazing. :)

21. Jessica October 26, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Why do the mini cupcakes need to be frozen?

22. betty October 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

I love every single part of this post, specially the idea of putting a mini cupccake inside another cupcake

23. BritLightning November 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

I just baked a mini pecan pie cupcake inside a pumpkin cupcake and it tastes just like the pumpkin pecan cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory! I didn’t frost the pecan pie cupcake, but I will frost the completed pumpkin pecan cupcake with brown sugar Swiss meringue buttercream. Mmmmm!

24. Sue November 30, 2011 at 5:34 am #

The apple cupcake came out a little dry for me. I think possibly I might have added a little too much baking powder. I would probably add more apples the next time to get a stronger flavor. Turned out really well putting them inside the pumpkin cupcake. I love the brulee effect the brown sugar frosting gives after baking. I love the brown sugar frosting! So good! Maybe even better than chocolate!

25. DeidraRachelle December 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

How many cupcakes does the recipe make?

26. Stef December 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Deidra – Hmm.. wish I had written it down. Maybe 20? Sorry I don’t know for sure.

27. Ashley Seabrooke November 26, 2012 at 9:58 am #

This was the best thanksgiving cupcake EVER! I could not get any rum for these cup cakes, but I made a very successful substitution. I added 1/4 tsp to 1/4 cup of apple juice to give it a caramel apple flavor. It was fantastic. I took one bite of this cupcake and time stood still, it was a life changing experience. Seriously, I am absolutely addicted to making cupcakes. I have never tasted anything more amazing in my life. This cupcake took time to make, but I have never even made a cake from scratch before this cupcake. So, if I can do it…anyone can.

28. Ashley Seabrooke November 26, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I used honey crisp apples which made the apple cupcake sweeter and more moist. The recipe made 20 Everything Fall cupcakes and a few left over mini Apple cobbler cupcakes. I used light brown sugar and it was wonderful. I even added a little pumpkin spice marshmallow and dried cranberries for decoration. I am an incredible Cajun cook, but this was my first real attempt at baking, and I am absolutely sold on it now.

29. Karen December 8, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

These are great! I love the caramelized brown sugar in the middle from the mini cupcake. I had to explain to explain to every single person who ate one how how they were made. :)

30. Jenine April 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

Stef, I absolutely LOVE your website. I live in New Zealand and am obsessed with cupcakes and bake at every opportunity! I made these cupcakes today. I made the apple yesterday, frosted and froze (the brown sugar frosting is Devine and whips up SO fluffy!).
    I’ve just taken my Everything Fall cupcakes out of the oven and was a little disappointed. The recipe made 18 Everything Fall and then I had enough for six plain pumpkin rum and maple (which are so light, moist and fine crumbed!). Only 2 of the 18 Everything Fall cupcakes didn’t explode and leave a big sunken hardened caramel top.
    I only lightly frosted the apple cobbler as I was worried about this. Devine recipe and I will absolutely make again, but I will just skip frosting the apple cobbler mini’s.
    This is my first Cupcake Project recipe that I haven’t been 120% happy with, but others have had success, so it must just be me.

1. My Ten Favorite Fall Cupcake Recipes | Cupcake Project - April 9, 2013

[...] Get the recipe. [...]

2. Football, Food, and Festivals of Fall | There's No Place Like Oz - April 15, 2013

[...] The sweet potato bread french toast I made for my family this weekend. – These “Everything Fall” cupcakes that will take a couple of days to complete. If you like cupcakes, check out the food blog of that [...]

3. Classic Country Apple Cobbler Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] cupcakes, I topped them with pumpkin pie frosting.  The next year, I made them as part of my Everything Fall cupcake (my favorite pumpkin cupcake with an apple cobbler cupcake baked inside).  This year, I decided to [...]

4. Free Delicious Doughnut Recipes eGuide | Cupcake Project - September 6, 2014

[...] of Not Without Salt, Lyndsay Sung of Coco Cake Land, and Jessie Oleson Moore of Cakespy.  I reviewed Jessie’s book back in 2001.  She has the cutest drawings of desserts ever!  Here’s an illustration of [...]