Crème Brûlée Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Crème Brûlée Cupcakes

Crème Brûlée Cupcakes

Crack through a layer of caramelized sugar to reveal a layer of sweet cream below, but you’re not done.  Below the cream is your favorite fluffy cupcake!  Welcome to the world of crème brûlée cupcakes!

Products Related to Crème Brûlée Cupcakes

BonJour Brushed Aluminum Chef's Torch with Fuel Gauge

My culinary torch may be my favorite kitchen toy - and it's not super expensive.  Playing with fire (in a controlled and safe way) is super fun!

View on Amazon.com

McCall's Country Candles - 26 Oz. Creme Brulee

If you find that you love the smell of crème brûlée, here's a way to keep that smell going all the time without baking crème brûlée cupcakes every day.  I haven't tried this particular one, but I've used other cake flavors and love them!

View on Amazon.com

How to Make Crème Brûlée Cupcakes

1. Start by baking your favorite cupcake recipe.  I kept it simple and used the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake recipe.
  2. Instead of frosting with a traditional frosting like vanilla bean buttercream frosting, bake and chill crème brûlée (I used super easy to make pumpkin crème brûlée).
  3. Spread the chilled crème brûlée over the cooled cupcakes.
  4. Sprinkle with regular or maple sugar and brûlée with a culinary torch just before serving.

You can mix any flavor of crème brûlée with any cupcake flavor to create your dream crème brûlée cupcakes.  If you give them a try, I’d love for you to share photos and reviews on the Cupcake Project Facebook page.  I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

37 Responses to Crème Brûlée Cupcakes

1. Bones N' Rose October 26, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I am SOOOO happy you posted this! Creme Brulee is my favorite dessert and I am sure I will love it even more as a cupcake :)

2. jessruhlin October 26, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Do you ever use sugar substitutes in baking? I am a 25 year old ballet dancer and type one diabetic so I’m always hoping for good ways to cut my sugar intake. I’ve tried baking cookies with splenda and it changed the shape but not so much the taste. I’m afraid to try this with a cake that needs to rise. I would love to hear your thoughts on sugar substitutes!

3. bakeaholicandco October 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I have to try this recipe !
    @jessruhlin, when you use sugar substitutes, you can beat the eggwhites, it helps the cake to rise, I have a nephew who’s diabetic and that’s what I do when I bake for him.

4. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie October 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Amazing idea! I would love to try a Nutella one.

5. Gloria October 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

look wonderful! gloria

6. Candice October 27, 2011 at 2:39 am #

It’s been a while since I saw a cupcake that is really unusual…. I LOVE this idea!

7. Jennifer October 28, 2011 at 12:21 am #

Creme brulee cupcakes – blissful! They look heavenly!

8. Celyne Glam October 29, 2011 at 5:25 am #

GREAT GREAT GREAT!
    leave a comment on my blog :***

9. asmita October 30, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

I love Creme Brulee. These look so good.

10. High5apparatus November 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

OH NO YOU DIDN’T

Well, yes you did. I want.

11. BlondeBomber November 2, 2011 at 9:05 am #

creme brulee is definitely one of my favorite things in life so these look just about like the best cupcakes ever!!!!! YUMMMMMM

12. Anonymous November 4, 2011 at 10:21 am #

How necessary is it to toast immediately before serving? I would like to make these for an event that I am going to but will not be able to torch them when I am there. Will the hold up if I torch them the evening before?

13. Stef November 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Anon – They will still be good, but they won’t have a crunchy bruleed top anymore. It will get soggy.

14. Caking! November 6, 2011 at 6:21 am #

Cupcakes (gooood) + Creme Brulee (goooood) = Super delicious! These look amazing, definitely going to have to try these. I take it flashing them under a grill will be ok if you don’t have a blowtorch?

15. Susan November 6, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Really wishing I had a torch right about now. These look super delish

16. Stef November 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Caking! – Yes, that should work.

17. Anonymous November 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

as for making it beforehand – you could probably preserve the crunchy top if you use enough sugar and torch it really well. I used to make little Creme brulees at whole foods that would stay crunchy for a couple days as long as they were torched well and thick enough sugar.

18. Maile November 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Im thinking of spicecake cupcake with the pumpkin creme brulee for thanksgiving dessert.

19. Jennifer November 20, 2011 at 11:48 am #

I tried these this morning.. I used caramel vanilla sponge cake cupcakes with a caramel creme brûlée! Super good and really easy! Thanks for the great idea!

20. Sahar November 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

I don’t even dare try these – I would just end up on a diet made of coffee and these cupcakes :P

21. Ashley @ FROSTEDChic March 3, 2012 at 9:30 am #

oh my gosh this look and sound delicious!

22. Anonymous July 20, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Does the pumpkin creme brulee recipe yield too much for this cupcake recipe? How much should I cut it down to not have leftover creme brulee?

• Stef July 21, 2012 at 6:34 am #

I honestly don’t recall. Sorry.

23. Aurelia August 14, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Creme brulee as a cupcake? Are you kidding??? This looks amaaazing!

24. Anonymous September 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Made these today and they were delicious. How do you torch without burning the paper burning cups?

25. Stef September 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Carefully. Sometimes the paper does get burnt.

26. Stephanie September 14, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Do you have a recipe for creme brulee buttercream? What I mean is, is there a way to make a frosting that tastes like and has the texture of creme brulee without actually having to bake creme brulee?

27. Ashley September 26, 2012 at 10:20 am #

I love them! Thanks for sharing!

28. Anonymous October 2, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I love it. will try it for sure

29. Charli August 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

I had a creme brulee donut and if this cup cake is half as good then I can’t wait to try it.

30. Marie September 24, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I like your blog. Wonderful cakes especially the crème brulee cupcakes. Your blog is so attractive to me because I really just like baking. I mean anything that has to do with baking. Is it possible to provide demos for preparing some of the cakes?

31. Mayra October 23, 2013 at 9:36 am #

I saw on Cupcake wars, a creme brulee cupcake. Not a topping, but a cupcake. I was wondering if you had the recipe for that… it was episode 9 i think, aired just this week. Thanks!

32. Becca October 31, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Do you think you could pipe the creme brulee on the top?

33. Liz November 21, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Do you still have to cook the creme brulee in separate ramekins to have it cook properly? or can it all go in one dish? This sounds so good as a thanksgiving dessert!

1. All Things Amélie | Fly Away Bride Fly Away Bride - April 20, 2013

[...] case you want to know how to make creme brûlée cupcakes like the ones above- they would be a great addition to your wedding dessert table (don’t they [...]

2. Oh So Sweet Baker - September 18, 2013

[...] frostings for a second because topping your cupcakes with this Creme Brulee by Cupcake Project is almost as good as [...]

3. 11 Cupcake Recipes You Must Try » Inspiring Pretty - December 3, 2013

[...] have an affinity for creme brulee. If you like the sugary crust of creme brulee, try it out on a cupcake. It’s a culinary [...]