Often, I’m in the middle of frosting cupcakes when something comes up – forcing me to stop (e.g. my son woke up from his nap and needs to walk down the block to see the train NOW or the world will end). I decide to cover the bowl to protect the frosting from uninvited house guests (I’m not talking about hungry neighbors with spoons, but rather evil flies that let themselves in during the one second that our door is open). At this moment, I always wonder how to best cover the mixing bowl. Here were my options as I saw them pre-amazing-mixing-bowl-cover:
- Foil. Flaw: Foil doesn’t come in circles and I end up piecing together several foil fragments and worrying about the gap that always ends up forming between them.
- Cling wrap. Flaw: This has the same non-circle problem, with the addition of the not sticking to the bowl problem.
- Kitchen towel. Flaw: The kitchen towels are dirty because I’ve been baking. Plus, they don’t provide a tight fit.
Needless to say, when I heard about the mixing bowl covers available from Anyplace on Etsy, I did a happy dance! They are so simple and so practical that I can’t understand why no one thought of them before! Plus, they are adorable! Check out the Etsy shop to see all of the current styles. I’ll use my sample ones (thanks, Anyplace!) all of the time – not only for cupcake batter and frosting covering emergencies, but for bread dough and yeasted cake rising.
The covers fit all models of KitchenAid, Breville, and Cuisinart (and similar mixers) and they are made from a cotton blend that is food safe and machine washable. In the photo above, you can see one on my KitchenAid bowl (in the front) and one on my Breville bowl (in the back).
How to Win A Mixing Bowl Cover
Anyplace is giving away 10 mixing bowl covers in the style shown at the top of this post to Cupcake Project readers (Hey, international readers – you get to play this time. Anyplace is willing to ship any place!). I’m giving 9 away on the blog and I’ll be giving one away on my Facebook page in the near future. To enter:
- Leave a comment on this post (not on Facebook, e-mail, or Twitter) telling me what you currently use to cover your mixing bowl and how the mixing bowl cover is better.
- Be sure that your comment includes a way to contact you if you win.
- All comments must be posted by 11:59 PM CDT on Sept 8, 2011.
- Limit of one entry per person.
- 9 winners will be randomly chosen on September 9. I will contact the winners and update this post with their names.
- If I don’t hear from a winner within one week to claim their prize, I will choose a new winner.