chickpeas, hummus

Chocolate hummus is so decadent – like a rich chocolate mousse – that unless you tell your tasters it’s hummus, they’ll never know.  Case in point: While I slathered chocolate hummus all over pita (probably too much of it because it’s “healthy”), I also used it to frost chocolate cupcakes.  Friends and family unknowingly tasted the chocolate hummus frosted cupcakes (they were only told that it was a chocolate cupcake), and not a single soul gave me a sidelong “what are you feeding me” glance.  I asked for feedback and I got comments like, “What do you want me to tell you?  It’s just a really good chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting.”  Without knowing it, they gave me the exact feedback that I wanted to hear.

Chocolate Hummus Recipe

This chocolate hummus recipe is my own creation.  However, I used the Snickerdoodle Dessert Hummus by Blissful Baking as a starting point.  That hummus recipe should also be added to your short list of party spreads to try.

• 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
  • 1/2 cup chocolate nut butter (I used Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter. You could also use chocolate hazelnut spread like Nutella or a chocolate peanut butter. The higher quality your chocolate nut butter, the better the end result will be. If you use Nutella or another product with lots of added sugar, your end result will be sweeter than mine and, depending on your personal taste preferences, you may need to cut back on the honey.)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it's as smooth as you can get it.
  2. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.

This is a great party spread!

Coming Soon

Coming soon, I’ll share more about the chocolate cupcake that I topped with chocolate hummus.

On Facebook

If you haven’t been to the Cupcake Project Facebook page in a while, you might want to stop by and check out the post about favorite vanilla cupcake recipes. See what others have suggested and add yours to the mix.  I’ll be using those recipes for a baking project in July that I’ll fill you in on soon!

24 comments on “Chocolate Hummus – So Decadent That You Can Use It In Place of Chocolate Frosting”

1. Karin says:

brilliant! Now I want to experiment with other flavors as I’m not a chocolate person. I wonder if peanut butter and maple syrup would work?

2. Tessa says:

This is fascinating! Can’t wait to try.

3. Sarah says:

oh my! what a brilliant idea!!!! i love it!

4. Lora says:

What a unique idea. So creative. Love it.

5. When I saw this was chocolate hummus, I was excited. When I read that your tasters thought it was chocolate frosting, I was MORE excited. What a fabulous idea! Well done, Stef!

6. meg says:

Didn’t know hummus could morph into something so yummy.

7. Amanda says:

I’m not sure whether to be delighted or repulsed… either way, it’s interesting!

8. Yum! That looks so good! I’ve tried dessert hummus before with peanut butter and honey. It was so yummy, but I never thought to make a chocolate version!

9. Erin says:

What an amazing idea! I am not a huge fan of hummus, but I love Nutella – so if I can mix the 2 seems like a win!

10. I am intrigued by this idea. I would love to try this out on my family and hear what they have to say.

11. Oh my, never thought of this! must try as I am hummus adicct

12. Joy says:

I’m a huge lover of the normal garlic hummus, so I was incredibly excited to mix chickpeas (which I love, though not as a snack) with chocolate anything. After giviing it a try, I don’t know what I did wrong but it was much more liquidy than your version and I followed the measurements exactly. Still delicious though! Great idea!

13. Stef says:

Joy – I bet it has to do with the brand of chocolate nut butter that you use. What kind did you use? The Justin’s Nut Butter that I used is pretty dry.

14. Christy says:

Has anybody tried making their own chocolate nut butter with this recipe?

15. This looks surprisingly good…I am very impressed!
    I am pinning this now!

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees

16. Alie says:

I have to be honest, this was terrible. It had the flavor and texture of beans.

17. Stef says:

Alie – Sorry to hear that you didn’t like it. Bummer! My tasters all loved it.

18. Abbey says:

This is so cool. I’ve done a sweet chickpea dip using pureed dates, among other things, but this idea is awesome!

19. HoneyBee says:

how many cookies would this frost? I’m making peanutbutter (football shaped cookies) and am looking for a lower calorie chocolate icing to top them with! (also using a bit of white icing for stitches)

20. Anonymous says:

So glad to find this as all 3 of my kiddos have birthdays in the next 2 months. Funny that I’m actually eating cookie dough dip (hummus) while reading this!! (recipe for that was on :)

21. Anonymous says:

I made the Nutella version of this recipe and I must say – it was surprisingly delicious! On it’s own I found the dryness and texture of the chick peas very prominent, but when spread on graham crackers, all I could taste was chocolatey goodness! I also left out the honey as Nutella is sweet enough!

I found I wanted the texture to be much smoother though, as it was very course with bits of the beans in there. Any suggestions?

Overall, very satisfying!

22. Anonymous says:

One slightly tedious trick to smoother hummus is peeling the garbanzo beans before pureeing them.

23. mom929 says:

I’ve got to try this. I just found your blog because I’m planning a party for my son’s return from Israel where we just had his bar mitzvah. He’s in love with the show Cupcake Wars and begged me to serve a giant cupcake creation. I’m a cake baker, but haven’t done many cupcakes, let alone the 250 that I will need for this party. So I was thrilled to find your blog. I’ve been trolling the site looking for tips and recipes. I’ll be making a lot of middle eastern food to celebrate some of the great food we had in Israel. I’m tickled with the idea of topping a chocolate cupcake with chocolate hummus, especially since we ate hummus and pita at almost every meal in Israel.

Can’t wait to give this a try.

24. Chris says:

I featured your great recipe for Chocolate Hummus on my Healthy Recipes Blog Carnival today! I hope you’ll stop by and check it out.

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment