Almond Amaretto Cupcakes with Amaretto Whipped Cream

Almond Amaretto Cupcakes with Amaretto Whipped Cream

Take a gooey butter cake, cross it with a biscotti, top it with boozy whipped cream, and you’ve got these almond Amaretto cupcakes.  Don’t expect these almond Amaretto cupcakes to be innocent cupcakes of yesteryear, airy with light crumbs.  These cupcakes are sticky and down and dirty.  You’ll be licking your fingers and begging for more.

Almond Amaretto Cupcake Recipe

I got the almond amaretto cupcake recipe by converting a flourless almond cake recipe from Mish Delish to cupcakes.  I slightly adjusted the quantities and converted the recipe from metric to U.S. measurements.
I should also point out that this cupcake is gluten-free!

Almond Amaretto Cupcakes with Amaretto Whipped Cream

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Almond Amaretto Cupcakes with Amaretto Whipped Cream

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 1 C unsalted butter
  • 2 C almond meal
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/3 C caster sugar (I used C&H Baker's Sugar, which can be found more easily in U.S. grocery stores. It's a very fine granulated sugar.)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
  • Amaretto Whipped Cream Ingredients
  • 1 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp powered sugar
  • 5 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
  • sliced almonds (optional)

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan (or the microwave) and set aside to cool.
  2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the almond meal, salt, and sugar until well combined.
  3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, and Amaretto until combined.
  4. Add the cooled melted butter to the wet ingredients.
  5. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
  6. Divide mixture evenly between 12 cupcake liners.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned and bounce back when lightly touched.
  8. Amaretto Whipped Cream Instructions
  9. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  10. Mix in powdered sugar and Amaretto until just combined.
  11. Pipe or spread on cooled cupcakes.
  12. Optionally, top cupcakes with almond slices.

This recipe is gluten free!

Inspiration Credit

I don’t want to make anyone sad, so I had to help Kelly out after she posted the above message on my Facebook wall expressing her disapointment at not finding an Amaretto cupcake recipe on Cupcake Project.  Hope you like them, Kelly!

19 comments on “Almond Amaretto Cupcakes with Amaretto Whipped Cream”

1. Beth says:

These look amazing! I love anything almond flavored. we willd efintely be having these at my house soon.

2. Erin says:

Oh how I love Amaretto and that you made it into a cupcake!

3. These look devine. Hope to be able to make them soon!

4. Ms. Hobby says:

Over the last couple months I’ve been trying to learn how to bake for my gluten free sister. I’d just like to point out that gluten “hides” in a lot of ingredients, like store bought almond meal and vanilla extract. Anyone who is baking something for someone on a gluten free diet should check all ingredients first.

5. Anonymous says:

Looks amazing!! Can’t wait to try them out for myself!!

6. Annie says:

yes! i have been really into amaretto lately! this couldn’t have come at a better time. can’t wait to try these out. :)

7. Rebecca says:

I made these tonight and they were so yum!!! Defeinitely messy but so good!

8. Anonymous says:

ever thought of using crepes as cupcake wrappers?

9. These look absolutely fantastic!!! I can’t wait to go home and try making these. I have my own cupcake blog and I’m looking for some way creative ideas to put on it!!!

10. eatthecookie says:

anyone consider making these eggless with a “flax-egg”?
    these look beautiful!

11. Natalie says:

Ask and ye shall receive, huh?

How about creme de cassis or kir royale cupcakes?

12. I love Cupcake and almonds too. The combination of the 2 ingredients is perfect. I’d love to make my own Almond Amaretto Cupcake. Thanks for providing the recipe. I can now bake my own version of this cupcake.

13. Anonymous says:

how long will these keep in the fridge for?

14. Janaana says:

Fantastic recipe! Mine weren’t nearly as neat looking but tasted so good that they didn’t last long enough to offend the eye!

15. Tina Spencer says:

I LOVE these cupcakes and make them all the time. But, I have a question: how do you get the cupcake to NOT stick to the cupcake liners? About every other time, the cupcakes stick. Don’t know what I am doing or if it is an atmospheric problem. I live in the SF bay area and it’s often foggy (yes, let’s blame it on that…)

I typically bake these a little longer than suggested and maybe that’s the reason.

I have been pairing these with a brown sugar buttercream that I make with salted butter, lending a “salted caramel” flavor. I add a bit of amaretto at the end for a nice boozy note. People seem to like that combo the best (and I’ve tried a number of swiss meringue and Italian buttercream recipes to make sure).

Any info would be helpful

16. Jenny says:

Would it be possible to sub the amaretto liqueur for amaretto syrup? If so, is it an even switch or would there need to be more or less syrup? These look delicious and I can’t wait to try them!

• Stef says:

Yes, I think a substitution would work, but you might need to cut back on the sugar in the recipe as the syrup is probably quite a bit sweeter than the liqueur.

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment