Good Ship Lollipop – Homemade Shirley Temple Lollipops | Cupcake Project

Good Ship Lollipop – Homemade Shirley Temple Lollipops

The Good Ship Lollipop sails the open seas bringing joy to everyone except her photographer (Jonathan balked at taking the photo above: “So cheesy!”).  The Good Ship Lollipop’s passengers are two homemade Shirley Temple lollipops made with grenadine and lemon.

The Good Ship Lollipop’s passengers were my very first homemade lollipops.  Believe me, it’s much easier than you might think.  You can do it!  I was prepared to have to make multiple batches before getting it right, but the lollipops worked swimmingly on the first try (Well, technically it was the second try.  During the first try, I forgot to take the plastic wrapping off of my new candy thermometer before putting it in the hot candy – oops!).

What The Heck is The Good Ship Lollipop?

Please let me know in the comments if prior to this post you had never heard of The Good Ship Lollipop.  I thought that most people had heard of it, but my mom said, “No young people will know what you are talking about.  That song is so old!”  I’m wondering who is right.

The Good Ship Lollipop is a Shirley Temple song from 1934.

The comments on the YouTube post about this video are really interesting.  People mention how Shirley Temple’s short dress and the fact that she is around older men would by today’s standards make the men perverts. Back then, she was just a cute kid.  Girls didn’t grow up so quickly.  This has nothing to do with cupcakes or lollipops, but it’s a thought to ponder.

How to Make Shirley Temple Lollipops

To make Shirley Temple lollipops, I modified a recipe from a post on Celebration Generation about making LolliHops – beer flavored lollipops (don’t you want to try that recipe?).

Good Ship Lollipop – Homemade Shirley Temple Lollipops

Yield: About 36 lollipops

Good Ship Lollipop – Homemade Shirley Temple Lollipops

• 1/3 C grenadine (I used homemade grenadine and I strongly recommend that you do the same. It's really easy to make.)
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1/2 C light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp lemon extract
  • lollipop sticks
  • lollipop molds (optional, but useful if you want your lollipops to look more professional)

1. Fill a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan with ice water and set aside.
  2. Spray lollipop molds with cooking spray or, if you aren't using molds, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat, combine grenadine, sugar, corn syrup, and lemon extract.
  4. Stir regularly and bring to a boil.
  5. Continue to boil until the mixture reaches 300 F on a candy thermometer. Watch VERY closely. If it gets much higher than that, it will burn. I highly recommend that you use a digital candy thermometer with an alarm. That way, turning your back for a minute won't cause you to burn your candy. If you don't have one, just don't turn your back!
  6. Immediately move the hot pot into the ice water bath and leave it there for just 20 seconds.
  7. Pick the pot up and swirl it around for a couple of minutes to let it continue to cool and thicken a bit.
  8. For lollipop molds: Working quickly, spoon mixture into lollipop molds. Put the lollipop stick about halfway up the candy (as shown below) and swirl the stick around so that it is completely coated with candy. For baking sheet method: Drop spoonfulls of the candy onto the baking sheet. The beauty of this method is that you can make your lollipops as big as you want! Put the lollipop stick about halfway up the candy (as shown below) and swirl the stick around so that it is completely coated with candy.
  9. After the lollipops cool, remove them and they'll be ready to suck!

Why Shirley Temple Flavored Lollipops?

Groom 4.0 has chosen his flavor for the wedding (Piña Colada cupcakes).  Before she decides on her pick, Bride 4.0 wanted me to remake the Shirley Temple cupcakes that I made a few years ago.  She remembered loving them.  I’ll be remaking those soon (with some modifications since I didn’t like them as much as she did), and since I was thinking Shirley Temple, why not make lollipops?!

Dental Warning

Warning: Brush well after eating these lollipops.  They are particularly sticky!

27 Responses to Good Ship Lollipop – Homemade Shirley Temple Lollipops

1. ironstef February 23, 2011 at 10:23 am #

1. Yes, I’ve heard of the song… I’m pretty old though. 31ish.

2. Shirley Temples remind me of childhood. I always got to order them when we went out as a family.

3. Love the new logo, Stef!!

2. Melody February 23, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I love that song. I remember that movie, it was one of my favorites lol. Although I’m old too. I’m 33

3. **christina** February 23, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I’m 29 and I LOOOOOOVE Shirley Temple! I’ve heard of the song, I collect her videos. I don’t think her dancing with older men was perverted either. I think it was a fun, innocent thing. Times were simpler back then :)

4. Liz February 23, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I grew up watching Shirley Temple movies with my mom, so I knew all about it!

And, previous commenters need to stop saying that 31 is old.

5. kbkbakery February 23, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Loved Shirley Temple growing up (still do) and always got Shirley Temples at the bowling alley when I was a kid. Spent middle school and high school watching old movies on AMC. (currently 35)

6. Heather M February 23, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Yes, I’ve heard of the song, but I LOVE oldies! Shirley Temple reminds me of childhood innocence.

7. Kat! February 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

I’m 24 I grew up loving Shirley Temple! My great grandma loved her when she was little so my grandma grew up with it too. My great grandma bought all of the porcelein Shirley Temple dolls except the last one because she always wanted one when she was little and when she passed she had one for every grand daughter. I think I’ll make these when we get together for her birthday!

8. Sammie February 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Shirley Temples have always been my favorite drink! I bet these lollipops would take me back- both because they’re lollipops AND because they’re shirley temple flavored.

9. Anna Carlson February 24, 2011 at 7:03 am #

I am 22 and I could sing the whole song for you. I grew up watching Shirley Temple all the time. I can’t wait to try these and the cupcake version!

10. Ruth February 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I know this song, but through The Persuasion’s. BUT I do like Shirley Temple. How people jump to ‘perverts’ from something sweet like that is ridiculous and makes me a bit sad. I’m 15.

11. Anonymous February 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

I’m 19, and I’ve never heard of the song (Sorry!!)
    But the lollipops are so cute!

12. Hilah Mae February 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

I’m 22 and I know the song.

13. Sara February 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

I am 25 and grew up with all her movies. My daughter looks very much like her. In fact, when we showed a movie to my daughter and son for the first time, my son walked up to the tv pointing thing it was my daughter. So cute.

14. Laurel {Make and Takes} February 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

Such a cute idea! I loved Shirley Temple growing up. It would be great for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

15. Erin February 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

I’m 27 and I know the song! I love Shirley Temples! They remind me of a old school diner in my home town…

16. Catherine February 27, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I’m 30 and I grew up singing the Good Ship Lollipop! I think we did it in dance when I was 4 or 5, and Shirley Temple movies were my favorite when I was a kid. but I didn’t like the drink until I was in my 20s.
    But my husband is 36 and he had no idea what I was talking about when I ask him.

17. Beatrice Bachleda February 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

Wow! Those look delicious. Lollipops are not one of those things you think you can make so I love seeing homemade ones. Also, you’ve basically allowed me to waste an hour watching Shirley Temple video clips which then somehow led me to this video of a little girl from Romania singing. Haha. Love it!

18. Sarah February 28, 2011 at 8:02 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

19. why_in_the_heck February 28, 2011 at 8:03 am #

I’m 23 and I know this song back-to-front. Bright Eyes was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and when I found it on DVD a few months back I snapped it up!

20. Kamaile February 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

I have heard of the Good Ship Lollipop and I’m 32 and NOT old.

21. Lothie March 3, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Oh gosh, you are SOOOO wrong about the whole innocence thing. Read Shirley’s memoir (Child Star) and you will see that while SHE might have been innocent, the people producing her movies were anything but. They were definitely going for the sex appeal angle.

22. Stef March 3, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Lothie – I’m so saddened to hear that. But, thanks for setting me straight.

23. Jennifer Carden March 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

I LOVE this post it is right up my alley. I love to combine vintage things and off the wall ideas with food. I grew up loving Shirley too, great idea.

24. Anonymous April 18, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Yes, I remember the Good Ship Lollipop, Yes, I feel old, Yes, I want to sit all day and read everything on your site!!

25. air to air heat exchanger March 1, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I’m 20 and I know the song.

26. Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I remember Shirley Temple from her movies, I watched them when growing up….I am 47.

1. Maverick Digital Candy Thermometer Giveaway | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] to review right away (I love being a cupcake blogger!).  I put the Maverick to test on my Shirley Temple lollipops.  The lollipop recipe warned not to walk away from the saucepan.  Yet, I boldly set the Maverick [...]