Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes

Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes

cupcakes, Rice Krispie Treats

“It’s genius!” I squealed as I emerged from the shower and explained my concept for Rice Krispie treat cupcakes to my husband and 16 month old child (there’s no need to be modest in one’s own home).  “All I would need to do,” I exclaimed, “is use Rice Krispie treats as an edible, crunchy cupcake liner, put a baked mini cupcake inside, frost, and add some sprinkles for fun!”  They both shook their heads (Jonathan because he knows that there is no stopping me when I come up with one of these ideas, and Myles because he thinks it’s funny to shake his head).  “People will love it,” I pronounced, “since it combines two of America’s favorite desserts into one easy to make package!”

As soon as I had a chunk of time to bake, I tried out my concept.  It worked!  There’s not much to it, but let me break it down for you anyway just to make sure that you’ve got it:

1. Make your favorite Rice Krispie treat recipe (I used my honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats).  Instead of pressing the mixture into a baking pan, press it into a standard-sized cupcake tin, making sure that it goes up the sides of each depression (as shown above).  I found that it helped to put an empty mini cupcake wrapper on top of the krispies and press down on all sides.

HIC Silicone 12-Cup Muffin Pan

I used a silicone cupcake tin to make it easier to pop the krispie liners out.  If you don’t have a silicone pan, be sure to grease the tin well before pressing the krispies in.

View on Amazon.com

1. Refrigerate the tin of “cupcake liners” for at least three hours.
  2. Bake 12 of your favorite mini cupcakes (I used basic vanilla cupcakes).  Remember, to convert a standard cupcake recipe to minis, cut the bake time in half.
  3. Do not remove the edible Rice Krispie treat liners from the cupcake tins. Do remove the paper liners from the mini cupcakes and place a mini cupcake in each krispie.
  4. You will notice that the mini cupcake is taller than the liner.  Press on the top of the cupcake to flatten it a bit (when I first tried this with the krispie liners removed from the tin, the force of pressing on the cupcakes caused the krispie liners to lose their shape).
  5. Remove the cupcake-filled treats from the tin.
  6. Frost with your favorite frosting (I recommend chocolate cream cheese frosting).
  7. Top with sprinkles or anything else that makes you happy.

A Peek Inside

Here’s a peek inside the Rice Krispie treat cupcakes.  Are you ready to eat one now?

More Rice Krispie Fun

The Rice Krispies Treats Cookbook

Did you know there’s a whole cookbook devoted to Rice Krispie treats?  Wow!

View on Amazon.com

37 comments on “Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes”

1. Oo! i’ve seen rice krispies treats shaped in a cupcake and i’ve seen cupcakes topped with rice krispies, but never a combination like this. what a great idea!

2. Meg Johnston says:

What a neat idea! These are adorable!

3. Gary S says:

OMG, it’s so beautiful! You’re a cupcake genius!

4. This comment has been removed by the author.

5. What a “simply” great idea…keep it up!

6. Becky says:

You are so creative! What a great idea to combine rice Krispy treats and cupcakes!

7. {:miss v:} says:

THAT is a super cute idea! They turned out adorable!

8. Such a creative idea! Love it!

9. Joy says:

Oh I’m so doing this for my daughters birthday next year. This is so cool.

10. What a great idea! Two awesome desserts in one!

11. I love these! I do my best thinking in the shower too.

12. I’m a big fan of innovative ideas like this :) I’m looking forward to reading more of your blog!

13. Aww, those are so pretty! I love unrestrained enthusiasm behind a new baking idea…you only need to hope it doesn’t get fizzled out before you get to it by another something new!

14. So Creative!! I LOVE IT!!!! I bought my stuff to make the nutella crispy treats now I just might have to pick up a cake mix- LOL- What a great New Years Eve treat!!

15. These cupcakes would make great birthday party snacks! Cupcakes have taken on a new form when paired with rice krispies!

16. Carolyn says:

I think it really is brilliant! Love it. Going to retweet it right now! And stumble it. Hope it makes you famous ;)

17. Sommer J says:

Looks amazing! FOund via Carolyn’s retweet! This would be fun for my son’s 2nd birthday party!

18. Kat says:

This is so creative. I bet they taste great. I can almost imagine the crispy outside and fluffy inside

19. OM Freak’n Gosh… that is so unique.. I have not had Krispie treats since I was a kid.. thanks for the throw back.. love the post!!

Happy New Year..

20. Seriously, awesome idea! And Nutella rice krispies?…yum! We’re definitely on the same wavelength.

21. Edie Mindell says:

My kids and I are a big fan of rice krispies and cupcakes, and combining these two would really make us shout with joy.:-) You are a genius! Thanks!:-)

22. cyn says:

BRILLIANT! I was impressed simply with using rice krispie treats AS the cupcake – putting the mini cupcake inside is pure genius. I have a soon to be 6 year old with a bday coming up in March who is going to love this.

23. Brilynn says:

Awesome idea, love this!

24. jriina says:

My 10 year old loved these for his January birthday so much he asked for them for his Valentine’s party at school too. I used regular Rice Krispie treats mixed with mini chocolate chips. I have a “tassie” maker – really a wooden dowel with knobs on each end from Pampered Chef that I covered with wrap and used to press down the treats that worked really well. I’ve only been following the blog for 3 months and feel like I need to go back and read all the old posts because I must have missed some fabulous recipes. Thanks

25. Stef says:

jriina – Awesome! Feel free to post some pics of the end result on my Facebook page. I’d love to it!

26. This is so amazing, I was googling around and this photo really stood out, great job! I hope to make these this Easter :)

27. Ok, now that is a genius idea! How creative. It sounds really yummy too, and the nutella rice krispie bars, I will have to check those out! I found you via the Crowd Ignite widget on my blog.

28. nuxia says:

Very Genius Idea! I like It!

29. Jane Bruce says:

Hi there,
    We’re working on a piece here at The Daily Meal that is a roundup of the most creative cupcake recipes. We would love to include your Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes, Kale Cupcakes, and Golden Globe Cupcakes! It will be a slideshow so we’ll need a photo for each and then will link back to your site. Please let me know as soon as possible. You can email me at jbruce@thedailymeal.com. Thanks so much!

Jane Bruce
    Photo Editor
    The Daily Meal

30. Gina@cateror says:

Yup, you were right. Genius. Pure and simple. So glad I found this!

31. Bella says:

I am so excited to try these!!(: They look delicious and your such an amazing baker, keep it up!! (;

32. Adrienne says:

OMG, this sounds absolutely disgusting. The rice krispie treats aren’t sweet enough?…you have to add a cupcake AND frosting AND sugar sprinkles too? Good luck on maintaining that family diabetes…

33. Vanessa says:

Trying this out right now

So far the rice krispie treat cupcake mold/wrappers are a little flimsy….should hopefully be done soon.

34. These skin moles ary in colors, shapes, and sizes.
    This has no doubt been due too the communal nature oof their design, and
    their simple and informative layout. Article Body:Writing an article doesn’t just
    mean putting <.

35. Penelope says:

Is there a way you could bake the cupcakes in the rice krispie treat liners directly?

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment