Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats | Cupcake Project

Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

Rice Krispie treats are on a short list of kid-friendly, three ingredient, always popular things to bring to a holiday party without resorting to a store-bought snack.  Most people will smile pleasantly when you show up with them, the host will put them out on the dessert table, and they will get eaten. However, they will be the Dasher or Prancer of desserts – definitely not the steal-the-show-and-save-Christmas Rudolph.

Arrive at your affair with these honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats and heads will turn as if Santa himself had just walked in the door.  It’s your choice whether you share the secret that honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats are just as easy to prepare as the original Rice Krispie treats – just three ingredients and a microwave. If you’d like, you can tell people that little elves worked on them all day (they’ll never have to know that the elves were your kids and that most of the working was licking the Nutella-filled spoon).

How to Make Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

You’ll notice when you read the ingredients below that I didn’t actually use Nutella or Rice Krispies. Is this a case of false advertising? Not really. I just thought that if I called the recipe Honey Justin’s Nut Butter Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal Treats people wouldn’t be very excited about it; not to mention the fact that I’m not even sure how to say the word “Erewhon”.

Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

Yield: An 8x8 glass baking dish of treats (Double the recipe if you prefer taller treats - the treats will be thicker, but will still fit in the same baking dish.)

Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

1. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine honey and Nutella and microwave for 30 seconds.
  2. Stir. The honey and Nutella should be hot and thoroughly combined. If not, continue to microwave for ten seconds at a time and stir until they are. (If you don't have a microwave, heat in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat for five minutes.)
  3. Mix Rice Krispies into the bowl and stir, coating all of the Krispies.
  4. Spread mixture into an 8x8 glass baking dish.
  5. Refrigerate for at least three hours.
  6. Cut into squares and eat!

Coming Soon

Coming soon, I’ve got more fun with Rice Krispie treats, and a related cupcake.

22 Responses to Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

1. Gary S December 21, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

Going grocery shopping in the morning. I already have the honey. Yum to the yum!

2. New York City Girl Expat Abroad December 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Nutella.. hey makes Rice Krispie Treats gourmet then, right? = )

3. Johnna December 21, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Oh, I cannot wait to make these! I’ll try it with the gluten free brown rice version of the cereal. The Nutella fiend in my house will LOVE these!

4. Stephanie December 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

These look absolutely amazing Stef! Still a simple recipe but sounds 20x better than the original.

Also love the recommendations for the all-natural products. I’m definitely going to check out that nut butter. Thanks!

5. Martina's Moments December 22, 2010 at 5:21 am #

Can’t wait to make these today for my grandsons who have Celiacs – Rice Krispies in any form are safe for them and they LOVE nutella!

6. Natalie December 22, 2010 at 5:37 am #

oh my gosh, psyched to make these!!! YUM!!!!

7. briarrose December 22, 2010 at 6:41 am #

Brilliant! I must try these. I would love to try other hazelnut spreads, but I usually only see Nutella on the shelf. ;)

8. Jennifer's Healthy Life Deals December 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

Steph these sound so wonderful!!!! Would it be alright to substitute Agave for the honey? My diet plan allows agave but not honey. You are so darn creative!

There is a Coupon for the Erewhon on Healthy Life Deals Blog under the “Organic Printbale Coupons”

9. itsacupcakeworld December 23, 2010 at 11:41 am #

These look sooo good! And you could even call them healthy!

10. Anonymous December 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I just made these for my family for Christmas Eve dessert. SOOO AMAZING. They just melt in you mouth and the honey isn’t too overpowering like I thought it might be. My dad is a rice krispie treat purist and they are his favorite dessert and even he loved them. Thanks for the recipe!

11. Stef December 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

Jennifer – I’m sure Agave would work! And – I saw that coupon. I am so hooked on your blog!

Anon – I’m so excited to hear that you and your family loved them. Yay!

12. Anonymous March 5, 2011 at 1:50 am #

hii doz the C on the instruction stand 4 cup plz tell me im not sure

13. Stef March 5, 2011 at 1:51 am #

Yes, C is for cup.

14. Anonymous March 5, 2011 at 1:54 am #

cant wait 2 hav these but i need 2 no doz the C stand for cup
    and if so how big is the cups?
    thx

15. ATasteOfMadness February 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

I made these and oh my, they are so hard to stop eating. The only thing is, I didn’t grease the pan that I made them in, so it stuck to the bottom. But I’ll definitely be making these again, it’s so simple it would be wrong NOT to make them again.

16. Maria Alanis June 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

can i use karo syrup the clear one ? or it has to be pure honey? im about to do them please let me know asap..thnx ;)

• Stef June 14, 2012 at 3:19 am #

Hmm.. you could try it with karo syrup, it would work, but I don’t think it would taste as good.

17. Nicky James July 27, 2012 at 9:06 am #

i love how you didn’t use marshmallows, hate them! Looks great, gonna try it soon :D

1. Hazelnut Coffee Cupcakes - April 18, 2013

[...] is so in vogue that it’s hard to think of doing anything with hazelnuts other than mixing them with [...]

2. Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] your favorite Rice Krispie treat recipe (I used my honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats).  Instead of pressing the mixture into a baking pan, press it into a standard-sized cupcake tin, [...]

3. Chocolate Pop Rock Rice Krispie Treats Snap, Crackle, and POP | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] your favorite Rice Krispie treat recipe (I used my honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats).  Do not be tempted to put the Pop Rocks directly into the Rice Krispie treats. As soon as the [...]

4. Original Microwave Rice Crispy Recipe - January 12, 2014

[...] Honey Nutella Rice Krispie Treats | Cupcake Project It's your choice whether you share the secret that honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats are just as easy to prepare as the original Rice Krispie treats – just three ingredients and a microwave. If you'd like, you can tell people . I just thought that if I called the recipe Honey Justin's Nut Butter Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal Treats people wouldn't be very excited about it; not to mention the fact that I'm not even sure how to say the word “Erewhon” Print. Honey Nutella Rice  [...]