Rice Krispies only snap, crackle, and pop in milk. Rice Krispie treats are silent friends unless you add a few of these:
While the photo above reminds of the the giant precious gems at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, it is actually a macro photo of Pastry Rocks, unflavored pop rocks sold at Chef Rubber. For those living under a “rock” (I’ve learned that my mom and my next door neighbor fall into this category), Pop Rocks are the super duper fun candy that explodes in your mouth as you eat it.
Why Did I Use Pastry Rocks Instead of Pop Rocks?
- I don’t like Pop Rocks for their flavor; I just use them for some action.
- Your Pastry Rocks purchase will give you prolonged pleasure since they come in a large one pound container. (No, Chef Rubber didn’t pay me or give me anything for free to say this. Yes, I realize Pop Rocks are an easier date – no mail order necessary. And, yes, Pop Rocks will work perfectly in this recipe.)
How to Make Chocolate Pop Rock Rice Krispie Treats
- Make your favorite Rice Krispie treat recipe (I used my honey Nutella Rice Krispie treats). Do not be tempted to put the Pop Rocks directly into the Rice Krispie treats. As soon as the Pop Rocks hit the treat mixture, they will all pop (I can’t explain why this doesn’t happen in the chocolate. If any chemist readers can explain this in the comments, please do.).
- Let the treats chill, but do not cut them.
- Melt six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Stir 1/2 cup of Pastry Rocks or Pop Rocks into the melted chocolate.
- Pour the pop rocky chocolate over the Rice Krispie treats.
- Cover and chill for at least three hours.
- Cut the treats into squares.
- Make sure to let the chocolate melt in your mouth while you eat them. If you inhale the treats, the Pop Rocks won’t get enough saliva on them to pop – and that would be sad.
Pop Rocks Proposal
On New Year’s Eve, many people pop the question with a rock. Wouldn’t it be much cheaper and more fun to pop the question with Pop Rocks? This rock star idea is my gift to you. If you do it (I am really under no false belief that anyone will), and you take a video (which would clearly go viral), and you give Cupcake Project a mention in the video, I will come up with a rocking prize for you!