Red Wine Chocolate Ganache – This May Be My Favorite Ganache Ever | Cupcake Project

Red Wine Chocolate Ganache – This May Be My Favorite Ganache Ever

I thought a red wine chocolate ganache could be good, but I had no idea just how good it would be.  After tasting my red wine chocolate ganache, I wanted to give myself a standing ovation.  This may be the best ganache that I have ever made.  It’s intensely chocolaty and buttery smooth with a robust sweetness from the wine.
Try the red wine chocolate ganache on your cupcakes (any will do, but I’ll tell you about my wine and cheese cupcakes in my next post) or make a big pot of red wine chocolate ganache to dip fruit or bread into at your next wine party.  Don’t be surprised when people start bowing down to you and begging you to make it again.

Red Wine Chocolate Ganache Recipe

To make this red wine chocolate ganache, I used the basic proportions that I found on an eGullet forum.

Red Wine Chocolate Ganache – This May Be My Favorite Ganache Ever

Red Wine Chocolate Ganache – This May Be My Favorite Ganache Ever

• 2 oz dark chocolate, chopped into a few pieces
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter
  • 2 oz red wine (I used a Shiraz)

1. Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
  2. Microwave for 10 seconds and then remove and stir.
  3. Repeat step 2 until the chocolate is all melted.
  4. Slowly pour in the wine and mix thoroughly.
  5. Place in the refrigerator until it hardens enough to easily spread (about 10 minutes).
  6. Spread on cupcakes, use as a dip, or eat by the spoonful.

Notes

This recipe should make enough to easily frost 12 cupcakes.

23 Responses to Red Wine Chocolate Ganache – This May Be My Favorite Ganache Ever

1. Hillbilly Betty / Waylon Aussies September 29, 2010 at 2:47 am #

Wow, sounds awesome! Not only does it sound good, it looks incredibly quick and easy AND all stuff that is low-glycemic. Definitely will use this one!

2. Marisa September 29, 2010 at 5:22 am #

Sounds super yum! Bet the shiraz adds a lovely spicy note to it.

3. Irish Cupcake Lady September 29, 2010 at 7:13 am #

oh yum! i love love LOVE chocolate!

4. slightlyawkward September 29, 2010 at 8:30 am #

Oh man! This ganache might just be even more perfect when made with the chocolate red wine that my cousin gave me for my 21st. When I received the wine from her, I must admit that it crossed my mind that chocolate and red wine seemed like a very Cupcake Project flavor combination.

5. Joy September 29, 2010 at 9:18 am #

That is amazing. I’m totaly trying this.

6. fairytail3982 September 29, 2010 at 10:47 am #

I bet if it was slightly modified it would make a fabulous fondue… and as I’m having a fondue party in a few weeks, I may just have to try it!

7. the bissful baker September 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm #

this sounds very similar to a chocolate red wine buttercream that i made a few weeks ago. absolutely divine!

8. Wholesale Clothes Online September 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

Mouth watering ganache… I want to learn that recipe.

9. The Food Hound September 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

LOVE me some cupcakes!! But when combined with chocolate and my favorite red wine? Sublime :) Love your blog– you have such a passion for food high in sugar and butter, which makes me smile :)

10. Mary Anne October 5, 2010 at 12:20 am #

My ganache turned out shiner then your picture. but it was quite yummy. I made a dark chocolate cupcake with a raspberry beer .

11. hannah {thepastrykook} October 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

oh wow! i’d so love to try out some wine and chocolate in a cupcake! delish.

12. LBL February 8, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Would this ganache work on top of a chocolate cupcake with strawberry jam filling, or would the three flavors clash?

13. Stef February 8, 2011 at 9:17 am #

LBL – I think it would be delish!

14. Leigh February 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

I wanted to let you know that I used this recipe and loved it! I even wrote about my results in my baking blog. You can read about it here, if you’re interested! Thanks for the great recipe.

15. Ellie Delancey May 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Im going to try this ganache this weekend. Do I have to refrigerate it or could I just use it “as is” once I make it? Looks delicious!

• Stef May 3, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Just use it as is.

16. Sydni June 26, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Hmmm, I tried this on your brown butter cupcakes, and it was kind of disappointing. Then I added more (and sweeter, since I had started with 85%) chocolate, which made it a bit better. Next time, I think I’ll try a bit more chocolate (75% this time) and about half of the butter.

17. Unknown August 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

Hmmmm…weird. I made this ganache and it looked just like yours but both my taste testers said it tasted bitter. I used Ghiradelli dark chocolate (bar) and a local favorite, Arbor Crest, commemorative red table wine. Since I was making it for a bachelorette party at Arbor Crest Winery it had to be perfect. Instead of making another batch I added a little powdered sugar & made it into more of a ‘frosting’. It cut the bitter taste & my taste testers said it was yummy…but I’m still wondering why it was bitter in the first place?

18. Ella - Home Cooking Adventure January 30, 2013 at 5:53 am #

That’s really a good ideea too:) I will make this ganache as soon as possible

19. Hi there Dear, are you actually visiting this
    web site regularly, if so after that you will absolutely obtain fastidious knowledge.

20. how-many-calories-in-a-banana.net April 25, 2013 at 3:18 am #

Just wish to say your article is as astounding.
    The clarity in your post is just spectacular and i can
    assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to
    keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please
    continue the enjoyable work.

21. Skye October 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

Hmm…do you know how I could easily make this into a kind of buttercream to pipe onto cupcakes? Do I just add some powdered sugar?

• Stefani October 11, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

I haven’t tried it, but you could you try letting it cool completely and then mixing on high for several minutes. That may do the trick without having to add anything else. You may need to add more butter or powdered sugar though.