Candied Flowers – Hibiscus | Cupcake Project

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

Rather than throw away the hibiscus flowers that I had brewed into hibiscus tea, I saved them and let them do double duty as candy – hooray for less food waste*.  Candied hibiscus flowers are sweet and super crunchy and I could totally see an alternate universe where popcorn was weird and candied hibiscus flowers were the normal snack to munch on while watching a movie.

How to Make Candied Hibiscus Flowers

Hibiscus flower prior to candying.

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

• Fresh edible hibiscus flowers (not hibiscus from the florist that could have pesticides all over it) or dried hibiscus flowers that have been steeped to make hibiscus tea
  • Enough egg white to coat the flowers (about 1 egg white for every 2 C of flowers)
  • Enough sugar to coat the flowers (about 1/2 C for every 2 C of flowers)

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Brush flowers with a thin layer of egg white (You can dunk the flowers instead of brushing if you find that to be easier.)
  3. Place the sugar in a small bowl and gently roll the flowers in the sugar.
  4. Spread the flowers on the parchment paper. The flowers can be really close together - just make sure that they aren't touching.
  5. Bake at the lowest temperature your oven can be set at (mine is 170 F) for about 7 hours or until crispy.
  6. Store in an airtight container.

Full Disclosure

Although the macro photos of the candied hibiscus flowers make them look gorgeous, I thought that I should share this photo as well:

I think this looks like bugs
pinned to a board in a lab.

*I’ve been saying “Hooray” for everything after reading How Does a Seed Grow over and over again to Myles.  I’d highly recommend that book for anyone with a little kid interested in knowing where food comes from or a really little kid who likes seeing smiling faces and hearing the word “Hooray”!

12 Responses to Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

1. Joy August 20, 2010 at 11:03 am #

I never tried candied flowers. Those look great.

2. Ivy August 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

WOW! How hard was it to find the edible hibiscus?

3. Jenny August 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

What a fantastic idea! I’ll have to borrow this for the next pitcher I make!

4. melish August 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

I just had Hibiscus drink.. cold tea.. in an Egyptian families dinner for Ramadan! it was my first time and I loved it// the smell and also the taste.. love it.. I am wondering if I can find it easily in the US?

5. Elizabeth August 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Definitely going to have to try these with my leftovers next time I make hibiscus tea! I bet they are even better than the candied ones Trader Joes sells! and cheaper!!

6. Stef August 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Ivy – It wasn’t that hard. We have a great international grocery near me that had it.

7. Anonymous September 11, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

This is a wonderful company for organically grown Crystallized (candied) Flowers: http://www.crystallizedflowerco.com

8. Anonymous November 20, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Just making sure… these are actually the hibiscus “sepals”, right? The flower is a gorgeous yellow hibiscus with a pinky purple center, and then the “berry” that forms after is this red jewel that grows to between the size of a shooter marble and a ping pong ball. The sepals that you brew and candy are the outer leafy peels, and the fruits inside is okra-ish. (they are related). This was the first year growing them at our community garden, and I plan to fill my yard with them next year. Super simple to grow.
    tonya

9. Stef November 22, 2010 at 9:43 am #

Tonya – Yes, you are correct. But, you might want to check to make sure that your variety of hibiscus is edible. I’ve heard that not all varieties are.

10. Flower Delivery Seattle August 5, 2012 at 10:40 am #

What a way to recycle. What do they taste like?

11. Miriam August 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

I love your recipe for tea and for edible flowers. I found some organic flowers at Azure Standard for a good price.

1. Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers | Cupcake Project - December 29, 2013

[...] be able to find them at a Mexican grocer.  After brewing the tea, you can use the flowers to make candied hibiscus flowers.  You can also use the flowers to dye frosting pink without food [...]