Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

Share:

Rather than throw away the hibiscus flowers that I had brewed into hibiscus tea, I saved them and let them do double duty as candy – hooray for less food waste*.  Candied hibiscus flowers are sweet and super crunchy and I could totally see an alternate universe where popcorn was weird and candied hibiscus flowers were the normal snack to munch on while watching a movie.

How to Make Candied Hibiscus Flowers

Hibiscus flower prior to candying.

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

Candied Flowers – Hibiscus

• Fresh edible hibiscus flowers (not hibiscus from the florist that could have pesticides all over it) or dried hibiscus flowers that have been steeped to make hibiscus tea
  • Enough egg white to coat the flowers (about 1 egg white for every 2 C of flowers)
  • Enough sugar to coat the flowers (about 1/2 C for every 2 C of flowers)

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Brush flowers with a thin layer of egg white (You can dunk the flowers instead of brushing if you find that to be easier.)
  3. Place the sugar in a small bowl and gently roll the flowers in the sugar.
  4. Spread the flowers on the parchment paper. The flowers can be really close together - just make sure that they aren't touching.
  5. Bake at the lowest temperature your oven can be set at (mine is 170 F) for about 7 hours or until crispy.
  6. Store in an airtight container.

Full Disclosure

Although the macro photos of the candied hibiscus flowers make them look gorgeous, I thought that I should share this photo as well:

I think this looks like bugs
pinned to a board in a lab.

*I’ve been saying “Hooray” for everything after reading How Does a Seed Grow over and over again to Myles.  I’d highly recommend that book for anyone with a little kid interested in knowing where food comes from or a really little kid who likes seeing smiling faces and hearing the word “Hooray”!

14 comments on “Candied Flowers – Hibiscus”

1. Joy says:

I never tried candied flowers. Those look great.

2. Ivy says:

WOW! How hard was it to find the edible hibiscus?

3. Jenny says:

What a fantastic idea! I’ll have to borrow this for the next pitcher I make!

4. melish says:

I just had Hibiscus drink.. cold tea.. in an Egyptian families dinner for Ramadan! it was my first time and I loved it// the smell and also the taste.. love it.. I am wondering if I can find it easily in the US?

5. Elizabeth says:

Definitely going to have to try these with my leftovers next time I make hibiscus tea! I bet they are even better than the candied ones Trader Joes sells! and cheaper!!

6. Stef says:

Ivy – It wasn’t that hard. We have a great international grocery near me that had it.

7. Anonymous says:

This is a wonderful company for organically grown Crystallized (candied) Flowers: http://www.crystallizedflowerco.com

8. Anonymous says:

Just making sure… these are actually the hibiscus “sepals”, right? The flower is a gorgeous yellow hibiscus with a pinky purple center, and then the “berry” that forms after is this red jewel that grows to between the size of a shooter marble and a ping pong ball. The sepals that you brew and candy are the outer leafy peels, and the fruits inside is okra-ish. (they are related). This was the first year growing them at our community garden, and I plan to fill my yard with them next year. Super simple to grow.
    tonya

9. Stef says:

Tonya – Yes, you are correct. But, you might want to check to make sure that your variety of hibiscus is edible. I’ve heard that not all varieties are.

10. What a way to recycle. What do they taste like?

11. Miriam says:

I love your recipe for tea and for edible flowers. I found some organic flowers at Azure Standard for a good price.

12. Thomas says:

It works fine with flowers from your plants at home but do not use the flowers that are on it when you buy. We usually let our grow for at least 3-4 months in the sun before starting to harvest. Then again we are in the sunny south cost of Spain where they grow very fast :)