Cupcake Poop | Cupcake Project

Cupcake Poop

Occasionally (or all of the time for we messy bakers) there’s that little bit of cupcake batter that drips or overflows and sticks to the cupcake tin.  After baking, those little bits (cupcake poop) become secret special treats that only the baker gets to enjoy. Burnt cookie fans may even find that the poop is better than the cupcakes themselves.

I received a comment on my pound cake cupcakes that got me thinking about deliberately making cupcake poop.

To answer the first part of the commenter’s (who later identified herself as Beth) question, I’m not sure why she ended up with so many more cupcakes than I.  It’s certainly possible that I wrote the wrong number.  If I get a chance to make the recipe again, I’ll be sure get an accurate count.  In the meantime, if anyone else makes them, please let me know how many cupcakes you get!

But, on to the cookie part of Beth’s comment.  Whenever anyone ends a comment or email with, “Am I just crazy?”, I get really excited.  I LOVE crazy baking ideas and I had to try it out.

I followed my pound cake recipe, but instead of filling cupcake tins with the batter, I put small spoonfuls of it (not larger that a quarter or they will start to be too cakey) onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and baked at 350 F for 15 minutes.  The resulting cupcake poop wasn’t the prettiest (it is poop after all), but it’s a way to share with the rest of the world the crispy, chewy burnt on batter that we bakers know and love.

I imagine that this technique would work with any cupcake recipe, but I make no promises.

15 Responses to Cupcake Poop

1. Jamie June 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

I made cold oven pound cake cupcakes for a party last weekend and ended up with 36 (overfilled!) minis and 12 regular sized cupcakes and enough batter for another 3 or 4 big ones. DELISH, by the way – people are still talking about them! Thanks for the recipes!!! :-)

2. smalltownoven June 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm #

What a great idea! Glad to know I’m not the only one who eats those extra drips and dribbles!

3. Stephanie June 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

I made cold oven cupcakes last week, but I halved your recipe. I still ended up with 12 regular-sized cupcakes plus 24 mini-cupcakes. Thanks for the recipe! I loved it so much that I blogged about it :)

4. ~~louise~~ June 24, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Ingenious! Such imagination implemented into bites of goodness. Very Cool, Stef!!!

We’re playing the Picnic Game once again at my blog this year. I don’t suppose you have any Cupcakes you’d like to bring? We sure could use one or two or three…

5. Anna June 24, 2010 at 7:45 am #

Mmm…cupcake poop is the best. As is coffeecake poop (the bits of topping that crumble off and bake separately). Is it greedy of me to not want to share my “bonuses” when I am always happy to share the actual treats?

6. Betsy June 24, 2010 at 10:48 am #

I’m always picking the caramelized delcious bits off a pound cake before turning it out of the pan and serving, so I’ve had the idea to take the same batter and spread it in a jelly roll pan, in order to get more of those crispy bits. Same idea – maybe you’ve inspired me to move mine from an idea to an actual attempt!

7. cookies and cups June 24, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

hilarious and delicious. never thought I would say something with the word “poop” in it sounds yummy ;)

8. Beth June 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

OH! You are so sweet! I feel like a celeb, now!

I am so happy that you tried the cupcookies. I will probably give them a go next week, as you did, all on their own, without even making the cupcakes! Maybe I’ll even ice the cookies, too. Thanks for trying them out for me so that I know, in advance, that they work! YUM!

As a side note, I made a different kind of cupcake this evening – same basic flavors, but more of a true cake consistency as opposed to pound cake. In my eyes, and according to several other tasters/guests who have been privvy to your recipe and the recipe I used tonight (which had so many rave reviews on the ‘net), your cuppies STILL reign supreme.

Thanks for all the feedback from your readers regarding the yield!

9. Gray June 27, 2010 at 1:39 am #

See, I’d be interested in trying this if it weren’t called “poop”… But I think that’s more my problem, not yours. :p

10. The Road to Sweetness June 27, 2010 at 11:47 am #

I love this…hysterical.

11. Becca June 28, 2010 at 6:23 am #

Cupcake poop served with cookie dough ice-cream is the best!

12. Anonymous June 30, 2010 at 9:34 am #

This is awesome!

13. SilverMoon Dragon July 12, 2010 at 3:35 am #

I did this in September last year, with much the same reasoning!

Must make some more of those, they were great biscuits.

14. Stef July 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

Jamie and Steph – Thanks for letting me know that you made them and how many it made. I really appreciate it!!

SilverMoon – Great minds think alike! :)

15. Just Tanya! July 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

Sounds like this would be great with homemade strawberry cream cheese dip!