Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey | Cupcake Project

Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey

The smell of these jasmine cupcakes greets you first – somewhat formally. You feel like giving them a small bow.  Instead, you inhale deeply and are transported to an intimate tea house on a carefree day.  Your first bite begins with the jasmine flavor that you were smelling.  Only after the bite is swallowed do you start to notice the slight hint of raspberry and sweet honey.  You go in for a second bite and continue nibbling at the slow pace that the tea demands until the cupcake is gone and you are left only with a memory and a desire to revisit the tea house tomorrow.

I make cupcakes with high swirls of whipped cream, buttercream, and meringue.  But, this Jasmine cupcake with a small spread of honey cream cheese and some fresh raspberries (it would have been better if they were in season and from a farmers’ market, but what can you do?) is my kind of cupcake.  It’s the first cupcake in a while that I didn’t want to share.  I reluctantly gave my last jasmine cupcake to my mother-in-law, salivating as I watched her take a bite.  And… she didn’t like it?!  I couldn’t believe it!  I was able to work through the shock, though, as I got to consume the remainder of her cupcake!!

Jasmine Cupcake Recipe

Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 3/4 C jasmine tea-infused butter (see my post on how to make tea-infused butter)
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C raspberry vinegar (if you can't find raspberry vinegar, any kind of fruit-flavored vinegar would work)
  • 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 T honey

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  3. Mix in vinegar.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
  5. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until just combined.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched lightly.
  8. Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
  9. Mix all ingredients until creamy.
  10. Spread on cupcakes. (If you have any extra, this is quite good as a spread on bread.)

32 Responses to Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey

1. Anonymous May 6, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Why vinegar? I’ve seen vinegar used in cupcake recipes before but never understood why it’s used….I’d appreciate some enlightenment!

• Merry May 17, 2013 at 12:04 am #

I believe the acidity of the vinegar reacts with the baking soda and baking powder to make the cake more fluffy. My favorite chocolate cake recipe uses either butter milk or milk and vinegar. I never have butter milk so I use vinegar and milk. it is amazing. You would never know there was vinegar in it.

• Merry May 17, 2013 at 12:06 am #

It’s only 1 tablespoon of vinegar though.

2. Margarita May 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Mmmm, those sound absolutely delicious. I have never made a cupcake like this and am definitely going to try it!

3. Smith Family May 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

You are going to make a baker out of me yet. These sound wonderful! I am definitely going to have to try this recipe! Thanks for posting it!

4. Ivy May 7, 2010 at 8:41 am #

I really love the infused butter idea, it’s so cool!

Have a wonderful Mother’s Day on Sunday!

5. Stef May 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Anon – Check out this post at Baking Bites. It explains it really well.

6. Jenny May 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

woahh! Now, I have a cup cakes for my son’s birthday =)) I never regret searching on net, asking what I’ll do on birthdays.

Thank you very much for a wonderful post!

7. Anonymous May 9, 2010 at 5:30 am #

Thank you so much for getting back to me about the vingegar…a very interesting concept! Can’t wait to try these out!!!

8. Elana May 10, 2010 at 7:18 am #

I made a huge batch of your honey cream cheese frosting in my KitchenAid stand mixer and I have been using it as a spread on my bagels. I really want to revamp the recipe using ginger and honey. I could probably just grate some in there.

9. Girl Foodie May 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

I cannot WAIT to try these. I have made masala chai cupcakes before but the use of jasmine and infusing the butter is genius! I will try these this weekend.

10. Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

I tried this recipe as a double-layered cake this weekend. I wish I could say I really loved it, but I think the vinegar ruined it. Couldn’t taste the Jasmine flavor at all, b/c the vinegar over-powered the cake. It was an acidic, unpleasant after-taste. Everyone said they really liked it, but I was completely dissatisfied. Should there be more baking soda to counter-balance the vinegar a little more? Should I have steeped the tea leaves a little longer? These are questions I’m not sure I’ll ever get to the bottom of. A lot of tea recipes seem to have the baker use boiling water to get the flavor instead of butter. Might be trying one of those next time. The cream cheese/honey filling was wonderful.

I also tried the whipped vanilla-bean icing recipe from this site, and it was to die for–incredible! Am SO psyched about the vanilla-bean paste. Will definitely be using that one again.

11. Stef June 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

Anon – I couldn’t taste the vinegar at all! Did you use a flavored vinegar like raspberry? Also, the jasmine flavor was so strong! Maybe your tea wasn’t that strong? Sorry it didn’t work for you.

12. Anonymous June 10, 2010 at 9:52 am #

Yes, I found it at Whole Foods in the vinegar section. I looked at the bottle the day after, just to make sure I didn’t use something crazy and sure enough the label read ‘raspberry vinegar’.

I think the Jasmine I used may have been a lighter variety… white Jasmine, if I recall. There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to Jasmine tea, apparently.

There’s a part of me who wants to try again, to see if I can get it right this time and then there’s another part of me who just wants to stick with tried and true recipes!

13. Stef June 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Anon – I totally understand if you don’t want to make it again. But, if you do, please let know how it goes.

14. Anna September 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

I had the same problem as anonymous- I could taste the jasmine, but the vinegar was still a bit overpowering and made the cupcakes pretty sour.

15. Stef September 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

Anna – Sorry to hear. I’ll have to make them again sometime and see what’s going on. Mine weren’t at all sour. I wonder if different brands of raspberry vinegar are stronger than others?

16. Anna September 29, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

I think the raspberry flavor was just a lot stronger than I expected, & the cupcakes didn’t turn out quite as light & sweet as I’d thought they would. Next time, I might try a different fruit flavor- maybe that’ll turn out better!

17. Sany October 6, 2010 at 7:28 am #

Wow Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey……sounds too much delicious. I cant wait. Please give me more information about it.

Leanspa

18. Leanspa January 25, 2011 at 2:51 am #

I would like to thanks for this wonderful post,i think I am glad to read your post its really interesting.

19. Force Factor January 31, 2011 at 3:09 am #

I love applesauce cake but hadn’t had it in years. When I was growing up, we had a wonderful couple who lived with us. They became really part of our family. The wife, Sally, took care of me and my brother and sister and cooked, cleaned, ironed…

20. Katie May 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Made jasmine tea infused butter last night for using in cupcakes. I’m interested to see how it tastes with the frosting on top. I didn’t have any raspberry vinegar, so I put in less sugar and added some Buderim Ginger Refresher cordial (http://www.buderimginger.com/home/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=23). So now I have jasmine and ginger cupcakes with honey cream cheese frosting! I also used wholemeal flour instead.

21. Alice May 4, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Made these with my roommate and they turned out HORRIBLE; everything was fine until we added the vinegar. It smelled sour and absolutely reeked! We used apple cider vinegar instead of raspberry vinegar, so maybe that was the problem, but we used even less than what the recipe called for. Too bad though, because the jasmine flavor actually shone through nicely with the butter infusing method. I’M SO DISAPPOINTED… ):

I recommend taking your basic vanilla cupcake recipe and infusing the butter with tea. None of that vinegar business!

• Stef May 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Oh no! I’m sorry you had that problem. It should have worked fine with the apple cider vinegar. :(

22. metabolic cooking reviewed October 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog
    platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick
    and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

23. Dee December 29, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

That’s a great frosting idea for someone like me who cringes at the thought of all that sugar in standard recipes. It’s also a good idea to keep the excess for a bread spread. Thanks for sharing.

24. F July 10, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

Enjoyed your website. Found your use of vinegar interesting and gave me an idea to adapt yr recipe to make my own jasmine/black tea cupcakes with longan instead, using a red date and longan vinegar.

• Stef July 11, 2014 at 11:09 am #

Sounds really good!

1. Sweet Pea and Ricotta Cupcakes – Give Peas a Chance | Cupcake Project - April 23, 2013

[...] Although the frosting looks like a glaze, it is actually honey panna cotta.  The texture is jello-like and if you wanted to, you could actually peel it off.  While I liked the frosting and it was a fun experiment, it wasn’t the biggest hit with my tasters.  If you don’t want to make the panna cotta, the cupcakes would be just as good unfrosted or frosted with a honey cream cheese frosting. [...]

2. Baking with Tea – How To Get the Flavor of Tea Into Your Baked Goods | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] Jasmine raspberry cupcakes [...]

3. Magical Cupcake Oracle #2 | Cauldrons and Cupcakes - March 9, 2014

[...] Image from Cupcake Project [...]

4. Cupcakes de jazmín, chocolate blanco y moras, gracias guerra de cupcakes!!! | Cakes and friends - March 13, 2014

[...] Para las que no conocéis este programa (si es que alguien no lo ha visto) trata de 4 reposteros a los que proponen un reto, que siempre tiene un motivo una fiesta/evento para el cual los reposteros tienen que sorprender a unos jueces y llegar a la final, preparando 1.000 cupcakes!!! Pues un día de estos el motivo de celebración era el jubileo de la Reina de Inglaterra y la primera prueba fue preparar unos cupcakes entre los cuales estaba el de jazmín, y a mí, como buena bebedora de té que soy y super fan del té de jazmín, pues se me encendió la bombillita y mi cerebro motor de búsqueda pensó…. que rico un té de jazmín con chocolate blanco… y aquí está el RESULTADO, una receta laboriosa y con poca fuente de inspiración, de echo solo encontré un resultado en el que basarme, os dejo el enlace aquí. [...]