Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream | Cupcake Project

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream

As a child, I loved Strawberry Shortcake

and I loved jump roping and singing about strawberry shortcake.

Yes, I realize that you can’t really understand this girl, but it was the best strawberry shortcake jump rope video that I could find.

But, I never actually ate strawberry shortcake because I didn’t like whipped cream. This was due to the fact that I never had fresh whipped cream. Fresh whipped cream = WOW! Whipped cream in the can = Eww. No thanks! Call me a whipped cream snob – I don’t care!

When I made my olive oil cupcakes with balsamic whipped cream, Katy of Sugarlaws said that she used the balsamic whipped cream in a strawberry shortcake.  I filed the idea away until now!  No one could tell what the secret ingredient was in the whipped cream (especially because I used white balsamic)  – they just knew that they LOVED it!

The Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake Recipe

I adapted the strawberry shortcakes on Allrecipes to make my strawberry shortcake cupcakes, and I used the balsamic whipped cream recipe from Sugarlaws.

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream

• 1 lb fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter (unlike most cupcake recipes, the butter should be straight out of the refrigerator, not room temperature)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2/3 C milk
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • 1/4 C sugar (or more, your preference)
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar (It will look prettier if you use white balsamic vinegar.)

1. Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl (don't use your electric mixer, make this recipe by hand to avoid over mixing) combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar, and the salt.
  3. Cut in the butter and mix by hand until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk.
  5. Stir until just combined.
  6. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake wrappers.
  7. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
  9. While the cupcakes are cooling, whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  10. Mix in 1/4 cup sugar and balsamic vinegar until just combined.
  11. Slice partially cooled cupcakes in half, making two layers.
  12. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with some whipped cream.
  13. Replace the top halves of the cupcakes.
  14. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.

Waffling

Next up, what happens when these strawberry shortcake cupcakes meet the waffle iron?

3 Responses to Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream

1. Hannah April 20, 2010 at 10:13 am #

This looks amazing. I’ve been planning to bring a strawberry shortcake to dinner at the home of friends this Friday – I might go the cupcake route now instead!

2. Amy April 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

That looks and sounds amazing!! How soon so you need to serve these then? Will the whipped cream get runny quickly?
    Thanks! Love your blog!

3. Stef April 21, 2010 at 11:25 am #

Amy – Keep them refrigerated until thirty minutes or so before serving and they should be fine.

4. Carolyn Jung April 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

What a fun twist on the usual shortcakes. Even better, because who can pass up cupcakes these days, right?

5. Jessica April 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

I know what you mean about fresh whipped cream! The other stuff tastes waxy!

This looks like a very good recipe. Easy too.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

6. Allie April 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I know last year during the ice cream cupcake contest you mentioned on my entry page that you’d never tried white balsamic. I’m so glad you tried it out and liked it!

7. Shelley May 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

I made these for a tea and got wonderful reviews. I made them in mini cupcake tins, sliced the shortcakes in half and only put the strawberry compote inside (top slid off with the whipped cream inside). I then topped it with lavender whipped cream instead of the balsamic (there’s a recipe on BHG) and they turned out beautiful. My fiance keeps asking me to make more!

8. Shelley May 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

9. Labraysha August 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Can i use this as a cake recipe?

1. Waffled Cupcakes – A Waffleizer Duel | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] The cupcake blogger considered flavor after flavor. She even had dreams about strawberry cupcakes.  But, ultimately she decided on the simple American classic – the strawberry shortcake. [...]

2. Friday Fab 5: Strawberry Shortcake Recipes - Snappy Gourmet - March 21, 2014