The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes 04Q. What makes these cupcakes the ultimate St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes?

A. Lots of green and lots of booze!

They are green velvet cupcakes with Irish whiskey cream cheese frosting and a built-in chocolate cup filled with green beer.

Believe or not, prior to making these cupcakes, I had never made velvet cupcakes (red or otherwise). I don’t get the appeal – especially given that most of the time the color comes from gobs of food coloring (with the rare exception of people who use beets for the red color). However, since Bride and Groom 3.0 requested red velvet as a possible wedding flavor, I decided to break down and try the elusive velvet cupcake (but, I had to be different and go for green).

How to Make the Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

1. Make the Green Velvet Cupcakes

Green Velvet Cupcakes

Because of my distaste for food coloring, I first tried to make my green velvet cupcakes with all-natural food colors. Sadly, after using two whole packages of all-natural yellow and blue coloring, the cupcakes still looked brown. The only way to make the cupcakes bright green was to break down and use Fakey McFake colors (at least St. Patrick’s Day is only once a year).

Credits:
I got the recipe from Sarah of Daily Nibbles. Sarah tried three different red velvet recipes and decided that this one was the best.
Sarah got the recipe from The Way The Cookie Crumbles,
Who got it from Apple A Day,
Who adapted from Saveur,
Who got it from Cake Man Raven.

Yield: About 15 cupcakes

• 2 1/2 C cake flour
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 T cocoa powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1 C buttermilk
  • 2 T (1 oz.) green food coloring
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 t white distilled vinegar
  1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a medium bowl.
  2. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined.
  3. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
  4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter.
  5. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcake bounces back when touched.

2. Fill the Cupcakes with the Chocolate Liqueur Cups

Wait for the cupcakes to cool completely (you don’t want to melt the chocolate). Then, using a small paring knife, cut a chunk out of the top of the cupcake and slide the chocolate liqueur cup in.

These chocolate liqueur cups were compliments of Astor Chocolate. Check back soon for a chance to win some!

3. Frost With Irish Whiskey Cream Cheese Frosting

• 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 T Irish whiskey
  1. Mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
  3. Mix in whiskey.

4. Fill the Liqueur Cups With Green Beer

I recommend that you fill the liqueur cups with beer tableside. The easiest way to do this is to use a funnel or a turkey baster. Be careful not to overflow the beer onto the cupcake (although, if you do, your St. Patty’s day revelers are not likely to notice or care).

10 Responses to The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

1. Sandy March 7, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

Wow, this is such an AWESOME cupcake! But would the beer spill all over you as you eat it?? Well, either way, it’s got soo many delicious flavors and is soo cool!

2. Nicola March 8, 2010 at 6:06 am #

I am loving your blog!
    I have opened a cupcake forum, and it’s so quiet, i need lovely people like you to help me liven it up a bit?

Would love to see you there and chatting

nicola
    x

3. merkusa March 8, 2010 at 7:58 am #

Not sure about the green beer… I think I’d rather go with Guinness… Or maybe a shot of Jameson. Mmmmm… booze….
    Will definitely try these out thouh, they look great!

4. Marisa March 8, 2010 at 8:06 am #

The green looks so pretty!! I love it.

5. Sarah @ Daily Nibbles March 8, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Genius! I never thought of making them green:)

6. Kitchen Butterfly March 8, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Looooooooooooooove it. Love the green!

7. Cupcake Activist March 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Great idea…a green velvet cupcake! I hope I am brave enough to give it a try.

8. Ivy March 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

Oh, my gosh, you are just so clever!
    These look really cool!

9. Marisa March 12, 2010 at 12:04 am #

Tried these cupcakes the other day, but the icing came out way too runny. I should probably just add more powdered sugar, right?

10. Marisa March 12, 2010 at 12:05 am #

They are very tasty though! (runny icing and all)

11. lauramil March 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

heres what i would do….I WOULD BAKE YOUR FRICKEN AWESOME OREO CUPCAKES AND SELL THEM ALL OVER MY CITY AND ENDORSE YOUR NAME BEING A WALKING ADVERTISEMENT FOR THIS BLOG AND THEN EVERYONE WOULD LOVE THE CUPPYCAKES, THEY’D CALL YOU AND YOU’D MAKE MILLIONS BUT WORD WOULD GET AROUND TO FOOD NETWORK AND YOU’D GET ON TV AND BECOME A CELEBRITY CHEF, SATISFYING SWEET TOOTHS ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! and just think, all this could happen if i just win those chocolate cups…

mfeely3@wi.rr.com

12. Gali March 13, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

Oh wow! Now that’s how to properly fill a cupcake with booze. Brilliant!

13. lovefordinner March 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

St. Patty’s Day really snuck up on me. These are creative!

14. Bridget March 16, 2010 at 9:07 am #

I love the idea of making these green for St. Patrick’s Day! I’m definitely bringing these to my students tomorrow. Uh…without the beer. :)

15. Anonymous March 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

fantastic cupcakes, I filled mine with Irish whiskey and some with Baily’s Irish cream, tasted much better thanwith beer!!

16. ashley March 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

just wanted to say that i just made these cupcakes but i used the cream cheese recipe from daily nibbles. omg, these are amazing. i love the green velvet color, and it was my first time making anything with “velvet” in the name. it was interesting since i made the cake flour since i couldn’t find it at the store. over all awesome cupcakes though, and my friends all loved them

17. Kevin March 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Those cupcakes look so amazingly green!

18. Kimberly March 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

OH my my my! I made these cupcakes with just cream cheese frosting and tinted the frosting green of course and they were DELICIOUS!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

19. Monica March 16, 2011 at 11:18 am #

I made this frosting last night and thought I might post my changes.

I mixed the frosting as indicated here and it came out wonderfully – creamy, not too sweet, but just not enough Bailey’s flavor for me. I even used the homemade kind! To give it more oomph, I added:

2 tsp Jameson’s
    1/4 tsp instant espresso
    1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste

You would not imagine what that little bit did for the frosting! Mmmmm delicious! No cupcakes required. Maybe. :)

20. Stef March 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Monica – Sounds fantastic!

21. Ashley @ FROSTEDChic March 3, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I just love your site! So many wonderful ideas!

22. Janine Eshelbrenner February 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

These sound yummy and look super cool! I definitely have to include these in my St. Patrick’s Day Sweets roundup on Monday!

23. Carrie March 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

You had me at “Lots of green and lots of booze!” Thanks for sharing the great recipe. We look forward to checking it out!

Carrie of http://www.bellacupcakecouture.com/

1. Savory Potato Rosemary Cupcakes with Irish Cheddar Frosting for St. Patrick’s Day | Cupcake Project - April 20, 2013

[...] St. Patrick’s Day makes people want to drink green beer (I’ve done a cupcake with that), have whiskey (there’s a cupcake for that, too), and make wishes on clovers (yes, I’ve [...]

2. Ultimate St. Patricks Day Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - May 16, 2013

[...] You don’t have to Irish to celebrate St. Patrick’s day – or eat these cupcakes – but you should be an adult, thanks to the liquor in the recipe. The cupcakes are a red velvet recipe that has been altered to use green food coloring instead of red, in order to match the holiday. After baking, an edible chocolate liquor cup is inserted into the top of each cupcake. Top them with an Irish whiskey cream cheese frosting, and then fill the chocolate liquor cups with green beer before serving. Source Cupcake Project [...]

3. 51 Tutorials for St. Patrick's Day Sweets - January 21, 2014

[...] Green Velvet St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes by Cupcake [...]

4. Need a green themed food idea for St Patrick’s Day? | CONSUMER CANDY - March 7, 2014

[...] If you are doing a green themed dish for St Patrick’s day, you won’t be popular if you turn up with a salad or veggies. You will however, have lots of clean plates if you turn up with these, green velvet cupcakes. [...]