The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

Share:

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes 04Q. What makes these cupcakes the ultimate St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes?

A. Lots of green and lots of booze!

They are green velvet cupcakes with Irish whiskey cream cheese frosting and a built-in chocolate cup filled with green beer.

Believe or not, prior to making these cupcakes, I had never made velvet cupcakes (red or otherwise). I don’t get the appeal – especially given that most of the time the color comes from gobs of food coloring (with the rare exception of people who use beets for the red color). However, since Bride and Groom 3.0 requested red velvet as a possible wedding flavor, I decided to break down and try the elusive velvet cupcake (but, I had to be different and go for green).

How to Make the Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes

1. Make the Green Velvet Cupcakes

Green Velvet Cupcakes

Because of my distaste for food coloring, I first tried to make my green velvet cupcakes with all-natural food colors. Sadly, after using two whole packages of all-natural yellow and blue coloring, the cupcakes still looked brown. The only way to make the cupcakes bright green was to break down and use Fakey McFake colors (at least St. Patrick’s Day is only once a year).

Credits:
I got the recipe from Sarah of Daily Nibbles. Sarah tried three different red velvet recipes and decided that this one was the best.
Sarah got the recipe from The Way The Cookie Crumbles,
Who got it from Apple A Day,
Who adapted from Saveur,
Who got it from Cake Man Raven.

Yield: About 15 cupcakes

• 2 1/2 C cake flour
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 T cocoa powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1 C buttermilk
  • 2 T (1 oz.) green food coloring
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 t white distilled vinegar
  1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a medium bowl.
  2. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined.
  3. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
  4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter.
  5. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcake bounces back when touched.

2. Fill the Cupcakes with the Chocolate Liqueur Cups

Wait for the cupcakes to cool completely (you don’t want to melt the chocolate). Then, using a small paring knife, cut a chunk out of the top of the cupcake and slide the chocolate liqueur cup in.

These chocolate liqueur cups were compliments of Astor Chocolate. Check back soon for a chance to win some!

3. Frost With Irish Whiskey Cream Cheese Frosting

• 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 T Irish whiskey
  1. Mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
  3. Mix in whiskey.

4. Fill the Liqueur Cups With Green Beer

I recommend that you fill the liqueur cups with beer tableside. The easiest way to do this is to use a funnel or a turkey baster. Be careful not to overflow the beer onto the cupcake (although, if you do, your St. Patty’s day revelers are not likely to notice or care).

23 comments on “The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes”

1. Sandy says:

Wow, this is such an AWESOME cupcake! But would the beer spill all over you as you eat it?? Well, either way, it’s got soo many delicious flavors and is soo cool!

2. Nicola says:

I am loving your blog!
    I have opened a cupcake forum, and it’s so quiet, i need lovely people like you to help me liven it up a bit?

Would love to see you there and chatting

nicola
    x

3. merkusa says:

Not sure about the green beer… I think I’d rather go with Guinness… Or maybe a shot of Jameson. Mmmmm… booze….
    Will definitely try these out thouh, they look great!

4. Marisa says:

The green looks so pretty!! I love it.

5. Genius! I never thought of making them green:)

6. Looooooooooooooove it. Love the green!

7. Great idea…a green velvet cupcake! I hope I am brave enough to give it a try.

8. Ivy says:

Oh, my gosh, you are just so clever!
    These look really cool!

9. Marisa says:

Tried these cupcakes the other day, but the icing came out way too runny. I should probably just add more powdered sugar, right?

10. Marisa says:

They are very tasty though! (runny icing and all)

11. lauramil says:

heres what i would do….I WOULD BAKE YOUR FRICKEN AWESOME OREO CUPCAKES AND SELL THEM ALL OVER MY CITY AND ENDORSE YOUR NAME BEING A WALKING ADVERTISEMENT FOR THIS BLOG AND THEN EVERYONE WOULD LOVE THE CUPPYCAKES, THEY’D CALL YOU AND YOU’D MAKE MILLIONS BUT WORD WOULD GET AROUND TO FOOD NETWORK AND YOU’D GET ON TV AND BECOME A CELEBRITY CHEF, SATISFYING SWEET TOOTHS ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! and just think, all this could happen if i just win those chocolate cups…

mfeely3@wi.rr.com

12. Gali says:

Oh wow! Now that’s how to properly fill a cupcake with booze. Brilliant!

13. St. Patty’s Day really snuck up on me. These are creative!

14. Bridget says:

I love the idea of making these green for St. Patrick’s Day! I’m definitely bringing these to my students tomorrow. Uh…without the beer. :)

15. Anonymous says:

fantastic cupcakes, I filled mine with Irish whiskey and some with Baily’s Irish cream, tasted much better thanwith beer!!

16. ashley says:

just wanted to say that i just made these cupcakes but i used the cream cheese recipe from daily nibbles. omg, these are amazing. i love the green velvet color, and it was my first time making anything with “velvet” in the name. it was interesting since i made the cake flour since i couldn’t find it at the store. over all awesome cupcakes though, and my friends all loved them

17. Kevin says:

Those cupcakes look so amazingly green!

18. Kimberly says:

OH my my my! I made these cupcakes with just cream cheese frosting and tinted the frosting green of course and they were DELICIOUS!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

19. Monica says:

I made this frosting last night and thought I might post my changes.

I mixed the frosting as indicated here and it came out wonderfully – creamy, not too sweet, but just not enough Bailey’s flavor for me. I even used the homemade kind! To give it more oomph, I added:

2 tsp Jameson’s
    1/4 tsp instant espresso
    1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste

You would not imagine what that little bit did for the frosting! Mmmmm delicious! No cupcakes required. Maybe. :)

20. Stef says:

Monica – Sounds fantastic!

21. I just love your site! So many wonderful ideas!

22. These sound yummy and look super cool! I definitely have to include these in my St. Patrick’s Day Sweets roundup on Monday!

23. Carrie says:

You had me at “Lots of green and lots of booze!” Thanks for sharing the great recipe. We look forward to checking it out!

Carrie of http://www.bellacupcakecouture.com/