Mango Cupcakes – I Learned The Secret | Cupcake Project

Mango Cupcakes – I Learned The Secret

These moist mango cupcakes topped with decadent, drippy dulce de leche are the mango cupcakes that I’ve been wanting to create, but until now, hadn’t. Don’t you want to lick the dulce de leche right off the side of the mango cupcake wrappers? Confession: I loved that the mango cupcakes were messy because every time I handed someone a mango cupcake, I got to sneak a little taste of it off of my fingers.

The Secret to Mango Cupcakes

My last mango cupcakes didn’t taste mango-ey at all and the mango cupcakes before those tasted like corn muffins. I turned to you, my incredibly creative readers, for suggestions on how to give the cupcakes more mango flavor. You had some fantastic ideas (go read the comments on my last mango attempt if you haven’t). While I’d love to try all of them, the one that stuck out for me was using mango extract (one of my friends on Facebook suggested it and SilverMoon Dragon and Sommer had similar suggestions of using mango essence and mango flavoring oil).

I found natural mango extract on Amazon and as soon as I opened the bottle, I knew that I had found the mango prize! It smelled like mango – not fake, candy mango, but like the fresh mango that I eat over the sink because it’s so juicy. Just like vanilla extract is necessary for a heavenly vanilla cake experience, it seems that mango extract is needed for a noticeable mango flavor.

Mango Cupcake Recipe

Mango Cupcakes – I Learned The Secret

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Mango Cupcakes – I Learned The Secret

• 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt
  • 2 t mango extract
  • 1 C mango juice (Check the label on your juice. It's hard to find 100% mango juice. If you can, that is best. But, if not, a mango juice blend would also work.)
  • Dulce de leche, to taste (see my post on how to make dulce de leche)

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, yogurt, and mango extract until blended.
  4. Alternately fold in flour mixture and mango juice, beginning and ending with the flour.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  6. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
  7. Top with dulce de leche and either:
  8. Eat fast, using your tongue to keep up with anything that drips down the side.
  9. Save them to turn into Cupcakes Wellington.

30 Responses to Mango Cupcakes – I Learned The Secret

1. Nancy March 18, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

spinhou7
    Option 7 b. was my absolute favorite. In fact, it was one of the best cupcakes I’ve ever eaten…an upscale restaurant-like dessert. One could even eat it a la mode.

2. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets March 18, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

Oh goodness this looks so delicious! Unfortunately, I don’t think I can justify the purchase of such a specialized ingredient until I put my rosewater, matcha powder, and loads of other exotic purchases to use first. But it’s in the queue for sure.

3. Baker in Progress March 19, 2010 at 7:33 am #

This recipe sounds great, I actually have that same exact extract in my cabinet but never found any use for it. I cant wait to give this recipe a try.

4. Amanda March 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Mmmm… fruity cupcakes, done well, are the best things. I bet this one was to die for.

5. Betty March 21, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

these look amazing i am making these definitely in the near future thanks for sharing :O)

6. Lyns March 23, 2010 at 10:06 am #

This is what I mean by a perfect dipped with glaze cupcake! Bravo!!

7. kim g. March 23, 2010 at 11:26 am #

Just found you through foodgawker – these look amazing! I’ll have to get some mango extract and try this recipe. Thanks for doing all the experimenting so we don’t have to!

8. Patty March 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

Oh wow that looks fantastic, I love the glaze! I can’t wait to try this recipe out, thanks for the mango extract tip!

9. Sommer March 27, 2010 at 9:31 am #

woohoo I got a shoutout! Glad the mango extract worked out. :)

10. Julia April 14, 2010 at 7:39 am #

I am looking for a mango cake to make my boss for his birthday…These look wonderful. Now to buy that mango extract!

11. Lady V dZine October 29, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

I am definitely bookmarking this one. My husband has been wanting mango this and mango that since he returned from Singapore recently. Thanks so much for taking all the mess work out of the guess work!

12. Becky October 30, 2010 at 3:38 am #

These mango cupcakes look soo good.
    I love anything mango. I’m glad that you have perseverance:)

13. Anonymous November 2, 2010 at 6:22 am #

Hi there

you said to use mango juice… what about pulp… can i use that and use the same amount of pulp… or do i need to use less as it is a bit thicker than juice.

these looks so delicious and they sound so good i can’t wait to try them. thank you.

14. Stef November 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Anon – You can use the pulp, but like you said, I’d use maybe 3/4 pulp and 1/4 water to thin it out a bit.

15. Jewels March 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Can sour cream be used in place of yogurt?

16. Stef March 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Jewels – Yes. That works just fine.

17. Anonymous April 20, 2011 at 3:18 am #

What a good suggestion using Mango Essence, it really made a difference and this recipe was just perfect i’ve made it 3 times now and it’s delicious.

18. Mihaela June 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Hi, I just found your blog looking for Black Forest Cupcakes (I had the idea, but the adapted cupcakes didn’t turned out so great). I love all the cupcakes and this one, mango and dulce de leche, I cannot wait to try it! Thank you for the inspiration! Great cupcakes, great presentation :)

19. James July 4, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Loved this recipe! I put it in a bundt pan and, like the other reviews, agree that it does not rise much. I then added the “lime icing” another reviewer recommended. It was delicious.

20. Harmonious September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

im so happy someone’s made a cupcake out of my favorite fruit!

21. Tin October 15, 2011 at 7:25 am #

I want to try this mango cupcakes, can i use mango puree instead of juice? I will also try mango flavored yogurt instead of just the plain one.

22. Stef October 15, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Tin – Mango puree wouldn’t work the same as the juice because it’s so much thicker. I love the mango yogurt idea though!

23. Anonymous April 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

I was so excited about this one but the cupcakes didn’t really get a mango taste. And, I used the same mango extract and a very mango-y home made mango juice. So sad :( .

24. student May 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

I made this today and it ended being extremely delicious and I made cardamom icing for it. It was delicious

25. Anonymous July 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I was creative changing the recipe myself and it was so great that I wanted to share with you people…

I changed the mango extract for ginger and lemon…then I made a mix of confectioner’s sugar, cream chesse and pure mango puree..
    In each mold I placed one layer of cupcake batter, then the mango mix and then another layer of cupcake batter. Then, it was baked.
    It was delicious since the mango flavor is in between two layers of the cupcake batter and mango flavor is subtle but not lost.

26. Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 5:12 am #

Would adding some fresh mango and some passion fruit pulp make much of a difference to the mixture.

27. Daniele October 14, 2013 at 5:37 am #

Hi there to every one, as I am really eager of reading this web site’s post to be updated daily.

It consists of pleasant data.

28. Liza December 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

I make Mango Chiffon Cake and I use canned mango juice (Gina Mango Nectar brand) or pureed Ataulfo Mango in the batter to flavor it. I prefer using the puree because the mango flavor is stronger than when I use the canned juice.

29. Google Optimierung Innsbruck December 9, 2013 at 5:27 am #

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts.

In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

1. Cupcakes Wellington – The Dessert of Your Dreams | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] up to you. Any cupcake would work. However, some frostings work better than others. I used a mango cupcake with dulce de leche frosting and the dulce de leche absorbed a bit into both the cupcake and the inner side of the puff pastry, [...]