Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch | Cupcake Project

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

Goldfish crackers seem to be present wherever toddlers are found. The little goldfish crackers seem to be the perfect mate for little fingers. Myles is not quite toddling yet, but just as I’ve done advance reading to know what to expect, I also thought some advanced baking might be in order to learn the secret behind the goldfish goldmine. Are goldfish crackers something that I could easily make myself using a cheddar of my choosing? YES!

The hardest part of making goldfish crackers, as it turns out, is the time it takes to cut them out. Because the goldfish crackers are so tiny, a little dough goes a long way and you’ll feel like the cookie cutter stage is never-ending. That being said, nothing is stopping you from making giant goldfish crackers if you so choose!

I found the goldfish cracker recipe on YumSugar and they got the recipe from Country Living.

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

• 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 4 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 8 oz cheddar cheese (This is the fun part! Pick out whatever type of cheddar that you like! I used orange cheddar for half of the fish, as shown above, and white cheddar for the other half, as shown below. Both cheddars that I used were extra sharp because that's how I like it!)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t fresh-ground pepper
  • A fish cookie cutter. I got mine from CopperGifts.

1. Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  2. Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.
  3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
  4. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
  5. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. (If you roll it thicker, it will still work, but the crackers won't be quite as crunchy. This dough rolled out so easily; you'll wish that you always worked with cheddar!)
  6. Cut out as many crackers as possible.
  7. Place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking pans.
  8. Bake at 350 F until golden and crisp - 15 to 20 minutes.

And, yes, these fishies are going to go in a cupcake!

68 Responses to Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

1. A Cup Full of Cake March 24, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

These are yummy for adults too!! I have made the same recipe as well and they are soo good!! check out my post on my blog about them
    acupfullofcake.blogspot.com

Shanna

2. April March 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

That’s it? It seems too easy too be true. I can’t wait to try this out! Thanks!

3. Kendall A. March 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

riDICulously adorable :)

good work!

4. Amanda March 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

These are so cute. I’d like to try some jalapeno cheddar. :) But… the cookie cutting stage might keep me from tackling this recipe until this summer when I have more time.

5. cookies and cups March 25, 2010 at 4:22 am #

did you hand-cut those out or have an itty-bitty cutter?
    awesome!

6. Stef March 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Cookies and Cups – There is no way I could hand cut those! I bought a cookie cutter at Copper Gifts.

7. Hoshi Ayaka March 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Am I reading something wrong because it seems like the steps in the recipe are incomplete. How long do you bake them? And at what temp?

8. Stef March 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Hoshi – You scared me for a minute there. I try not to leave that sort of thing out. It’s right there in step 8.

9. Anonymous March 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

I can only see up to step 4 and then the comments start…

10. Stef March 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm #

Anon – Can you tell me if it is working for you now?

11. Anonymous March 26, 2010 at 4:52 am #

Yes, I can see all of the steps now…

Can’t wwait to try these…I was thinking last week that I would rather have an alternative to the store bought goldfish for my daughter…you delivered!!!

12. 52kitchenadventures March 26, 2010 at 9:43 am #

What perfect timing! I just came up with the idea to make cookies with goldfish crackers yesterday. Maybe I’ll even make homemade crackers – what a great idea!

13. Hoshi Ayaka March 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Hooray! (I could only see to step 4 too!) So glad they’re all there now. Can’t wait to try these. My kids are going to squeal!

14. Memória March 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

Your fishies look absolutely perfect!! I’m not a fan of Goldfish, but if I had children, I would really make this for them! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

15. Amanda March 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Oooo! This is so awesome! I had no idea how easy it would be to make these! My son has a soybean allergy so I can’t buy him goldfish crackers so I am really excited about this! Thank you! ^^

16. HL March 28, 2010 at 1:22 am #

I love Pepperidge Goldfish crackers!!!! Now I can make them at home. Can’t wait to try it!

17. ali @ gimme some oven March 28, 2010 at 10:49 am #

Oh my goodness — goldfish are my weakness!!

But I SO love the idea of a non-processed version, sans preservatives. I’m putting these on my “must-try” list!! :)

18. Flirting with Flour March 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

I can only imagine what it would be like cutting out all those little fish! They look great though! And they’re going in cupcakes?! Can’t wait to see!

19. Victoria March 29, 2010 at 12:00 am #

Great post! I can’t readily find goldfish here in the UK and just LOVE them!! Made these yesterday…cheesy flowers and stars!! so yummy! thanks for sharing!

20. Crepes of Wrath March 29, 2010 at 8:33 am #

I’ve talked to my husband about doing this, but I’ve never really figured out how! Thanks for the recipe!

21. cindy March 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! Also, I love the little monkey bowls. Where did you get them from?

22. Linda Sue April 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

These sound great! I think I would rather make them using a larger cookie cutter, though. The small fish are cute, but too time consuming for me. Thanks!

23. Erin April 3, 2010 at 10:51 am #

I just made these with parmesan cheese instead of cheddar and they are delicious! Thanks for sharing this.

24. Anonymous April 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

Made them, loved them! Thanks for the post!

25. Wisconsin Motorcycle Accident Lawyer April 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Great idea. Homemade goldfish sound excellent.

26. Julie May 18, 2010 at 7:08 am #

Just made these and they were rather puffy and more like little cheese straws than a cracker. But seriously yummy and definitely moreish!
    I wish I could post pics here, but here’s a link…

27. Sarah June 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

These are amazing. I have been looking for a “goldfish” cracker recipe that I could alter if I needed. I used a gluten free flour mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum) and added 1/2 tsp Old Bay instead of the salt and pepper. My son with Celiac loves them, and the other kids don’t know the difference! It’s true that using the mini fish cutter was time consuming, but totally worth it for picky kids.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

28. Anonymous June 10, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Did you think about forgoing the cookie cutter part and just cutting little squares. It would be more like all natural Cheez-its, but it would be less laborious. Just a thought.

29. Sarah June 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

@Anonymous: I made a second batch by dividing the dough in two, then rolling it into a rectangle on parchment paper and using a pizza cutter to cut into squares. I did not separate the pieces and baked the full rectangle. Everything came out fine. SO much faster. The edges were a little more done than the rest, but not burned. I still have to say that happy kids are worth tiny little annoying cookie cutters! :)

30. Stef June 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

Sara – Thanks for sharing that tip. Good to know!

31. marla {family fresh cooking} June 20, 2010 at 6:17 am #

Such a great job with these crackers…..so cute!

32. Michelle July 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm #

I did the same trick sarah! Funny, I came here to give it to others. We must think alike :) This recipe is amazing. Goldfish are one of my sons favorites but we no longer eat processed foods, so I am thrilled to be able to give them to him. Hubby and I love them too! I cannot make enough. We have a fun variation…I roll out a sheet and cut them into strips. Then I grate some fresh parmesean cheese over them and bake. We use them to dip inot soup. They are so amazingly delish! Thanks again.

33. Anonymous July 3, 2010 at 10:27 am #

How long can you store the crackers? Could you freeze them? I would like to make them early in the week for my niece’s garden party which is in 1 week.

34. Stef July 7, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

Anon – Did you make them already? I’m not really sure how long they would last for. They didn’t last long in my house. But, I imagine they would be fine for at least a week.

35. Sonya August 9, 2010 at 4:13 am #

I made these last weekend and they were such a huge hit with us!! Im an american living in the netherlands and they don’t have goldfish crackers like they do back home. These also reminded me of cheese nips! we just loved them. Thank you so much for the recipe that will be used again and again : )

36. Heather Park August 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Omg! These are so good! And easy too! I used about 5 oz. cheddar and 3 oz. parmigiano-reggiano. Just came out of the oven a little bit ago and they are fantastic! Thanks so much for the recipe!

37. Renee January 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Question: Are these crispy like the Pepperidge version or are they soft and chewy? I have a recipe for cheese crackers that turned out chewy and my daughter loves the crunch factor.

38. Stef January 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Renee – They were crunchy!

39. f/2.8 Momma April 16, 2011 at 5:01 am #

I made these a while back. Excellent recipe! My toddler TOTALLY knew the difference between them and the original. She is so darn picky! We have the same monkey snack cups. LOVE THEM! We also have giraffes and matching plates! Toddler household must haves!

40. Country Grown July 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Hi, I was wondering instead of cutting them all out by hand or cookie cutter. Would a cookie press work?

Katherene
    I just found this site trying to find homemade Triscuits. Awesome!!!

41. Stef July 25, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Country – You could try a cookie press. That might be a great idea. Let me know if you do! (Sorry it took a while to get back to you.)

42. Harmony September 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

I make these all the time and we all love them! I’m making them now with new tiny Halloween shapes. Something I like that perplexes me is that twice now the white cheddar crackers have gotten orange bubbles when baked. Does anyone know what causes the cheese to change colors?

43. Lou September 10, 2011 at 3:14 am #

does it have to be cheese? how can i make it to be chocolate or honey graham flavor?

44. Stef September 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

Lou – This recipe is specifically for a cheese cracker. You could make fish shapes crackers using whatever flavor recipe that you like though.

45. Anonymous October 19, 2011 at 10:52 am #

how long do they last?!?!!?

46. Anonymous October 20, 2011 at 8:54 am #

this is how i’m spending my saturday night woohoo! im 20 years old. such a good life :)

47. Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

I made starfish crackers! Found tiny star cookie cutters in 2 small sizes. My orange cheddar cheese somehow didn’t color the crackers orange, but I don’t really mind that. They’re a bit greasy in the hands but the flavors are great! Thanks for the idea and recipe

48. Anonymous January 4, 2012 at 3:16 am #

Please can you confirm for me that ’4T’ cold unsalted butter…. means 4 tbsp or 2 ounces. Thanks

49. Stef January 4, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Anon – Yes, tablespoons.

50. Anonymous January 4, 2012 at 4:22 am #

Thank you, greatly appreciate your quick response. Have a great day :)

51. David, Sara and Natalie February 9, 2012 at 9:55 am #

I have made my own variation of these crackers three times now and thought I’d share. I have found you do not need to put them in a blender or food processor as long as you finely grated the cheese, and they turn out just as well. I use less than half the cheese (3 oz) which is expensive and make up for the loss of flavor by adding a bit of chicken base to the water. I also put a significant amount of garlic and onion powder in it and only a pinch of baking powder to avoid air pockets that brown too quickly. I also throw in some grated parmesan cheese and Italian herbs. I found making them fish shaped to be time consuming and just use a pizza cutter to cut the whole thing into squares in 30 seconds! Thanks for getting me started with cracker making!

52. Bullslady March 2, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Not sure if anyone has said it already. Someone needs to make a large cutter that has maybe 24 fish on it and you can cut them all at once.

53. Anonymous March 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks so much for the recipe! I was able to substitute some of the ingredients and finally give my daughters with food allergies a safe cracker that is dairy and soy free! Amazing recipe!!

54. Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 6:56 am #

What if you don’t have a food processor?

• Stef April 3, 2012 at 3:52 am #

You could possibly do it in a blender. You could probably do it by hand, but it would be much harder.

55. Anonymous March 31, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Glad to find this. My son loves goldfish and cheese nips. I don’t really like them but I buy them for him. Now I am in the process of switching us over to eating unprocessed foods and gluten free to see if it helps his ADHD and Autism and my digestive issues so I was hoping someone might know how to adapt this recipe to make it gluten free?

56. Anonymous May 4, 2012 at 10:27 am #

I would imagine you could use the same recipe for a cheeze-it cracker shape. Use a pizza cutter and run it down the dough. No waste and little effort!

57. Melissa June 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

These are fantastic! I tried them out and talked about my process of trying them with whole wheat flour here: http://tinkerbean.tumblr.com/post/24629141614/organic-cheddar-crackers

58. Anonymous August 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Okay so I don’t know if it’s going to work but I’m going to try a play dough cutter and see if I can cut out multiple shape at a time you know the 1 that looks like a paint roller fingers crossed hopefully it’ll work :-)

59. Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 9:48 am #

I am so happy that I can find snacks that don’t contain soy. It is a recent allergy for my child and I am learning how to make snacks, desserts, breads, condiments and well….everything from scratch.

60. Jessica S. August 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

I used a hexagonal cutter and they look (before cooking) like oyster crackers. Since mine were closer to 1/4″ thick, rather than 1/8″, they puffed up quite a bit during cooking. Now they’re just tasty cheese nuggets. I used 1/2 Asiago and 1/2 sharp cheddar. My older son LOVES them.

61. skin care August 23, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Aw, this was a really good post. Finding the time and actual effort to create a
    superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

62. Jacki September 9, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

So, of rpg list course. Some of them poor, successful
    at what you can do inside the game always has an ace high card.

But he gets an X and rpg list the way. Kenplay com Arcade,
    a player gets stuck. So other than the one before it will
    be.

1. Macaron Recipe – Pumpkin Pie Spice Macarons with Caramel, Dark Chocolate Ganache, and Smoked Sea Salt | Cupcake Project - April 21, 2013

[...] gobble up (Charity Schmidt just shared a story on Facebook of how that happened when she made my homemade goldfish recipe).  Rather, these should be given out one or two at a time as a special gift to be [...]

2. Goldbunny Crackers for Easter | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] is no reason that your homemade goldfish crackers have to be fish. Why not surprise your egg hunters with some adorable [...]

3. Compost Cupcakes – Salty and Sweet | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] up with salty/sweet deliciousness. I did the same thing with my compost cupcakes. I used pretzels, homemade goldfish crackers, cacao nibs, and Skor [...]

4. Birthday Party! | Rock Salt - May 15, 2013

[...] Then, sticking with the cheese theme, I made these Homemade Goldfish Crackers. [...]

5. Gourmet Goldfish Crackers Recipe for Parade Magazine | Cupcake Project - August 15, 2013

[...] I shared a recipe a few years ago for homemade goldfish crackers, I heard from many of you about how much you appreciated having a simple way to make the popular [...]