Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

Goldfish crackers seem to be present wherever toddlers are found. The little goldfish crackers seem to be the perfect mate for little fingers. Myles is not quite toddling yet, but just as I’ve done advance reading to know what to expect, I also thought some advanced baking might be in order to learn the secret behind the goldfish goldmine. Are goldfish crackers something that I could easily make myself using a cheddar of my choosing? YES!

The hardest part of making goldfish crackers, as it turns out, is the time it takes to cut them out. Because the goldfish crackers are so tiny, a little dough goes a long way and you’ll feel like the cookie cutter stage is never-ending. That being said, nothing is stopping you from making giant goldfish crackers if you so choose!

I found the goldfish cracker recipe on YumSugar and they got the recipe from Country Living.

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch

• 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 4 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 8 oz cheddar cheese (This is the fun part! Pick out whatever type of cheddar that you like! I used orange cheddar for half of the fish, as shown above, and white cheddar for the other half, as shown below. Both cheddars that I used were extra sharp because that's how I like it!)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t fresh-ground pepper
  • A fish cookie cutter. I got mine from CopperGifts.

1. Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  2. Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.
  3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
  4. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
  5. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. (If you roll it thicker, it will still work, but the crackers won't be quite as crunchy. This dough rolled out so easily; you'll wish that you always worked with cheddar!)
  6. Cut out as many crackers as possible.
  7. Place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking pans.
  8. Bake at 350 F until golden and crisp - 15 to 20 minutes.

And, yes, these fishies are going to go in a cupcake!

63 comments on “Goldfish Crackers Made From Scratch”

1. These are yummy for adults too!! I have made the same recipe as well and they are soo good!! check out my post on my blog about them

2. April says:

That’s it? It seems too easy too be true. I can’t wait to try this out! Thanks!

3. Kendall A. says:

riDICulously adorable :)

good work!

4. Amanda says:

These are so cute. I’d like to try some jalapeno cheddar. :) But… the cookie cutting stage might keep me from tackling this recipe until this summer when I have more time.

5. did you hand-cut those out or have an itty-bitty cutter?

6. Stef says:

Cookies and Cups – There is no way I could hand cut those! I bought a cookie cutter at Copper Gifts.

7. Hoshi Ayaka says:

Am I reading something wrong because it seems like the steps in the recipe are incomplete. How long do you bake them? And at what temp?

8. Stef says:

Hoshi – You scared me for a minute there. I try not to leave that sort of thing out. It’s right there in step 8.

9. Anonymous says:

I can only see up to step 4 and then the comments start…

10. Stef says:

Anon – Can you tell me if it is working for you now?

11. Anonymous says:

Yes, I can see all of the steps now…

Can’t wwait to try these…I was thinking last week that I would rather have an alternative to the store bought goldfish for my daughter…you delivered!!!

12. What perfect timing! I just came up with the idea to make cookies with goldfish crackers yesterday. Maybe I’ll even make homemade crackers – what a great idea!

13. Hoshi Ayaka says:

Hooray! (I could only see to step 4 too!) So glad they’re all there now. Can’t wait to try these. My kids are going to squeal!

14. Memória says:

Your fishies look absolutely perfect!! I’m not a fan of Goldfish, but if I had children, I would really make this for them! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

15. Amanda says:

Oooo! This is so awesome! I had no idea how easy it would be to make these! My son has a soybean allergy so I can’t buy him goldfish crackers so I am really excited about this! Thank you! ^^

16. HL says:

I love Pepperidge Goldfish crackers!!!! Now I can make them at home. Can’t wait to try it!

17. Oh my goodness — goldfish are my weakness!!

But I SO love the idea of a non-processed version, sans preservatives. I’m putting these on my “must-try” list!! :)

18. I can only imagine what it would be like cutting out all those little fish! They look great though! And they’re going in cupcakes?! Can’t wait to see!

19. Victoria says:

Great post! I can’t readily find goldfish here in the UK and just LOVE them!! Made these yesterday…cheesy flowers and stars!! so yummy! thanks for sharing!

20. I’ve talked to my husband about doing this, but I’ve never really figured out how! Thanks for the recipe!

21. cindy says:

I can’t wait to try this! Also, I love the little monkey bowls. Where did you get them from?

22. Linda Sue says:

These sound great! I think I would rather make them using a larger cookie cutter, though. The small fish are cute, but too time consuming for me. Thanks!

23. Erin says:

I just made these with parmesan cheese instead of cheddar and they are delicious! Thanks for sharing this.

24. Anonymous says:

Made them, loved them! Thanks for the post!

25. Great idea. Homemade goldfish sound excellent.

26. Julie says:

Just made these and they were rather puffy and more like little cheese straws than a cracker. But seriously yummy and definitely moreish!
    I wish I could post pics here, but here’s a link…

27. Sarah says:

These are amazing. I have been looking for a “goldfish” cracker recipe that I could alter if I needed. I used a gluten free flour mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum) and added 1/2 tsp Old Bay instead of the salt and pepper. My son with Celiac loves them, and the other kids don’t know the difference! It’s true that using the mini fish cutter was time consuming, but totally worth it for picky kids.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

28. Anonymous says:

Did you think about forgoing the cookie cutter part and just cutting little squares. It would be more like all natural Cheez-its, but it would be less laborious. Just a thought.

29. Sarah says:

@Anonymous: I made a second batch by dividing the dough in two, then rolling it into a rectangle on parchment paper and using a pizza cutter to cut into squares. I did not separate the pieces and baked the full rectangle. Everything came out fine. SO much faster. The edges were a little more done than the rest, but not burned. I still have to say that happy kids are worth tiny little annoying cookie cutters! :)

30. Stef says:

Sara – Thanks for sharing that tip. Good to know!

31. Such a great job with these crackers… cute!

32. Michelle says:

I did the same trick sarah! Funny, I came here to give it to others. We must think alike :) This recipe is amazing. Goldfish are one of my sons favorites but we no longer eat processed foods, so I am thrilled to be able to give them to him. Hubby and I love them too! I cannot make enough. We have a fun variation…I roll out a sheet and cut them into strips. Then I grate some fresh parmesean cheese over them and bake. We use them to dip inot soup. They are so amazingly delish! Thanks again.

33. Anonymous says:

How long can you store the crackers? Could you freeze them? I would like to make them early in the week for my niece’s garden party which is in 1 week.

34. Stef says:

Anon – Did you make them already? I’m not really sure how long they would last for. They didn’t last long in my house. But, I imagine they would be fine for at least a week.

35. Sonya says:

I made these last weekend and they were such a huge hit with us!! Im an american living in the netherlands and they don’t have goldfish crackers like they do back home. These also reminded me of cheese nips! we just loved them. Thank you so much for the recipe that will be used again and again : )

36. Heather Park says:

Omg! These are so good! And easy too! I used about 5 oz. cheddar and 3 oz. parmigiano-reggiano. Just came out of the oven a little bit ago and they are fantastic! Thanks so much for the recipe!

37. Renee says:

Question: Are these crispy like the Pepperidge version or are they soft and chewy? I have a recipe for cheese crackers that turned out chewy and my daughter loves the crunch factor.

38. Stef says:

Renee – They were crunchy!

39. f/2.8 Momma says:

I made these a while back. Excellent recipe! My toddler TOTALLY knew the difference between them and the original. She is so darn picky! We have the same monkey snack cups. LOVE THEM! We also have giraffes and matching plates! Toddler household must haves!

40. Hi, I was wondering instead of cutting them all out by hand or cookie cutter. Would a cookie press work?

I just found this site trying to find homemade Triscuits. Awesome!!!

41. Stef says:

Country – You could try a cookie press. That might be a great idea. Let me know if you do! (Sorry it took a while to get back to you.)

42. Harmony says:

I make these all the time and we all love them! I’m making them now with new tiny Halloween shapes. Something I like that perplexes me is that twice now the white cheddar crackers have gotten orange bubbles when baked. Does anyone know what causes the cheese to change colors?

43. Lou says:

does it have to be cheese? how can i make it to be chocolate or honey graham flavor?

44. Stef says:

Lou – This recipe is specifically for a cheese cracker. You could make fish shapes crackers using whatever flavor recipe that you like though.

45. Anonymous says:

how long do they last?!?!!?

46. Anonymous says:

this is how i’m spending my saturday night woohoo! im 20 years old. such a good life :)

47. Anonymous says:

I made starfish crackers! Found tiny star cookie cutters in 2 small sizes. My orange cheddar cheese somehow didn’t color the crackers orange, but I don’t really mind that. They’re a bit greasy in the hands but the flavors are great! Thanks for the idea and recipe

48. Anonymous says:

Please can you confirm for me that ‘4T’ cold unsalted butter…. means 4 tbsp or 2 ounces. Thanks

49. Stef says:

Anon – Yes, tablespoons.

50. Anonymous says:

Thank you, greatly appreciate your quick response. Have a great day :)

51. I have made my own variation of these crackers three times now and thought I’d share. I have found you do not need to put them in a blender or food processor as long as you finely grated the cheese, and they turn out just as well. I use less than half the cheese (3 oz) which is expensive and make up for the loss of flavor by adding a bit of chicken base to the water. I also put a significant amount of garlic and onion powder in it and only a pinch of baking powder to avoid air pockets that brown too quickly. I also throw in some grated parmesan cheese and Italian herbs. I found making them fish shaped to be time consuming and just use a pizza cutter to cut the whole thing into squares in 30 seconds! Thanks for getting me started with cracker making!

52. Bullslady says:

Not sure if anyone has said it already. Someone needs to make a large cutter that has maybe 24 fish on it and you can cut them all at once.

53. Anonymous says:

Thanks so much for the recipe! I was able to substitute some of the ingredients and finally give my daughters with food allergies a safe cracker that is dairy and soy free! Amazing recipe!!

54. Anonymous says:

What if you don’t have a food processor?

55. Anonymous says:

Glad to find this. My son loves goldfish and cheese nips. I don’t really like them but I buy them for him. Now I am in the process of switching us over to eating unprocessed foods and gluten free to see if it helps his ADHD and Autism and my digestive issues so I was hoping someone might know how to adapt this recipe to make it gluten free?

56. Anonymous says:

I would imagine you could use the same recipe for a cheeze-it cracker shape. Use a pizza cutter and run it down the dough. No waste and little effort!

57. Melissa says:

These are fantastic! I tried them out and talked about my process of trying them with whole wheat flour here:

58. Anonymous says:

Okay so I don’t know if it’s going to work but I’m going to try a play dough cutter and see if I can cut out multiple shape at a time you know the 1 that looks like a paint roller fingers crossed hopefully it’ll work :-)

59. Anonymous says:

I am so happy that I can find snacks that don’t contain soy. It is a recent allergy for my child and I am learning how to make snacks, desserts, breads, condiments and well….everything from scratch.

60. Jessica S. says:

I used a hexagonal cutter and they look (before cooking) like oyster crackers. Since mine were closer to 1/4″ thick, rather than 1/8″, they puffed up quite a bit during cooking. Now they’re just tasty cheese nuggets. I used 1/2 Asiago and 1/2 sharp cheddar. My older son LOVES them.

61. skin care says:

Aw, this was a really good post. Finding the time and actual effort to create a
    superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

62. Kittish says:

So I made these with my six year old niece tonight. They turned out incredibly awesome! My niece and one year old nephew ate almost half the batch, and would have eaten more of them if I’d let them. My niece doesn’t like cheese (or thinks she doesn’t). They puffed up a bit more than I expected them to, but that seems to just make it more fun to crunch them. We used small cookie cutters to make them into all kinds of shapes including pumpkins, which tickled my niece to no end.