Cupcakes Wellington – The Dessert of Your Dreams

Cupcakes Wellington – The Dessert of Your Dreams

cupcakes, puff pastry

Take a baked and frosted cupcake, wrap it in puff pastry, bake it again, and you’ve got Cupcakes Wellington (a Cupcake Project original creation). Imagine a steaming hot, flaky croissant with a soft, warm, frosted buttery cake waiting for you inside. Bride 1.0 best described the joy of this eating experience with the following quote: “Every cupcake should be wrapped in puff pastry!”

Baking Cupcakes Wellington couldn’t be easier. Watch, learn, and go try this yourself today. Do not wait!

First, unwrap a cupcake and plop it, frosting side down, on a piece of puff pastry atop a baking sheet. Enjoy the moment. You don’t often get the opportunity to turn a cupcake upside down.

For the detail oriented:

What kind of cupcake should I use?

It’s entirely up to you. Any cupcake would work. However, some frostings work better than others. I used a mango cupcake with dulce de leche frosting and the dulce de leche absorbed a bit into both the cupcake and the inner side of the puff pastry, adding a delicate sweetness to the dessert.

I plan to make Cupcakes Wellington again with a cupcake that has a chocolate ganache frosting – like my Better Than Sex Chocolate Cupcakes (if I wrapped those bad boys in puff pastry, I’d have to call them Better Than Better Than Sex Cupcakes).

I do not recommend using a cupcake with a buttercream frosting, but feel free to experiment.

How much puff pastry should I use?

I used a 5″ x 5″ square of puff pastry for each cupcake. But, trust me, there is no need to break out your ruler. Use as much or as little puff pastry as you’d like – just make sure that you have enough to wrap it completely around the cupcake.

What kind of puff pastry should I use?

I used the same brand that I used in my Beef Wellington, Dufour. But, use whatever brand you prefer, or make puff pastry from scratch.

Wrap the puff pastry tightly around the cupcake. Squeeze the edges shut and try to minimize any dough overlap.

Turn the cupcake right side up, brush with egg yolk, and draw a few lines (or whatever shape you’d like) in the dough with a knife (be really gentle so you don’t cut through to the cupcake layer).

Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes.

At first, I worried that baking the cupcake a second time would dry it out. But, au contraire, the second baking made the cupcakes extra moist.

Cut the Cupcakes Wellington into slices and eat them while they’re hot!!

I’d like to send a special shout out to Free Range Cookie for the idea!

29 comments on “Cupcakes Wellington – The Dessert of Your Dreams”

1. Kimberly says:

Umm … holy poo … that sounds awesome! And I really, really, really wish I was eating one right now! You are so creative, Stef!

2. TeaLady says:

O.M.G. but that looks enticing.

3. Sara says:

So cool! Love this idea! Sound super super delish. :-D

4. Amanda says:

So here’s the thing. I love wrapping burgers in puff pastry. I am fully on board with this cupcake in puff pastry. I’m now going to get on wrapping vegetables in puff pastry so I can host an amazingly decadent dinner party in which every food item arrives on the the table completely shrouded in deliciousness.

My mouth is watering. :)

5. Kelly says:

Oh wow these look so incredibly good I can’t wait to try them. Yes, they look so good they deserved a run on sentence!

6. Clsr2fyne says:

I think that most pastries are best served hot but if I wanted to make them and transport them, would they still be as good at room temp?

7. NikiTheo says:

This is seriously the most awesome thing EVER!

8. G&C says:

we spotted you on thisiswhyyourefat!
    But i’d say this looks worth it.

9. G&C says:

we spotted you on thisiswhyyourefat!
    But i’d say this looks worth it.

10. G&C says:

we spotted you on thisiswhyyourefat!
    But i’d say this looks worth it.

11. G&C says:

we spotted you on thisiswhyyourefat!
    But i’d say this looks worth it.

12. G&C says:

we spotted you on thisiswhyyourefat!
    But i’d say this looks worth it.

13. oh my gosh! how awesome! I’ve always maintained that everything tastes better wrapped in pastry but never thought to try it on a cupcake!

14. Lori says:

yum yum yum yum yum!

15. Anonymous says:

Lets say we want to make chocolate muffin or some sort inside the puff pastry.. will we still need to put frosting on? or.. no?

16. Stella says:

Wow, this is super decadent. I know it must be wonderful though, b/c I had homemade pastry today and it was so, so good. Neat idea!

17. Trendsetters says:

wow…i cudnt believe this..cupcake …haha nice going

18. Hungry Jenny says:

Now there’s a novel idea – I simply must try this out, thanks for sharing!

Hungry Jenny x

19. That is simply genius! I love it! A fabulous use for puff pastry. :D

20. Stef says:

Thanks, all!

Amanda – When you create your full puff pastry meal, you’ll have to share the results with me! How fun!

Clsr – Yes, they are still yummy at room temp.

Anon – It certainly doesn’t need frosting. That’s up to you.

21. Tastykake chocolate cupcakes. [cue Homer sounds] aaahhhmmmmm-mm-aaaagghhhhhh-mmmmm

Amanda, when are you doing the puff pastry meal? I’ll bring the beef Wellington if you do the asparagus and cupcakes.

22. Jojo says:

Like… seriously?

I would have never guessed CUPCAKE when I clicked on the link on foodgawker.

23. This is making my mouth water even more than the beef wellington. :)

24. Sommer says:

amazing idea, I’ll have to try it sometime! It’ll put the pastry sheets in my freezer to good use :)

25. Looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

26. Oh, what a fun surprise dessert.

27. Perhaps slightly lacking in imagination. Needs frosting and sprinkles inside instead of the prosciutto and mushroom puree. Make the cupcake pink as well :D

28. Im curious if this would be good if you frosted the cupcake with nutella then wrapped it in the pastry! Sounds good but would it bake well? hmmmmmmm…..let me know if you have tried it please!

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment