The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake | Cupcake Project

The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake

The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake experience begins with the smell – as the cupcake comes close to your sniffer, a waft of truffle – the fungi kind – hits you hard (Yes, I called it a sniffer; I have a five month old.). You begin to wonder, “Is this a dessert or an Italian entree?” As you take a bite, you reach the rich dark chocolate first. The truffle flavor isn’t quite as strong as you would have guessed. Then, the cake itself makes you pause. You realize that while it’s a chocolate cake, it’s clearly sweetened with honey. It starts to feel like comfort food. But, wait… there is that truffle flavor making it different than anything you’ve ever tasted before. Did you save the chocolate truffle on top as a chaser? It’s not in a box, so you don’t know what the flavor is. Here goes nothing… oh yeah!!

The Ultimate Chocolate Truffle Cupcake Recipe

The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake

Yield: 16 cupcakes

The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake

Cake Ingredients
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 C milk (any kind will work - I used soy)
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 C white truffle oil
  • 1/4 C vegetable oil
  • 1/4 C truffle honey
  • Ganache Ingredients
  • 5 oz dark chocolate
  • 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 C truffle honey
  • Optional Toppers
  • 2 oz white chocolate
  • Chocolate truffles (I used Vosges truffles)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix apple cider vinegar and milk in a medium-sized bowl. Let sit for five minutes. (This causes it to act like buttermilk.)
  3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
  4. Add the truffle oil, vegetable oil, and honey to the apple cider vinegar/milk mixture.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well.
  6. For the ganache, mix the truffle honey and heavy whipping cream in a small bowl.
  7. Melt the chocolate on the stove or in the microwave.
  8. Pour the melted chocolate over the truffle honey/heavy whipping cream and mix well.
  9. Mix 1/4 cup of the ganche into the cupcake batter.
  10. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when touched lightly.
  12. When the cupcakes are cool, frost with the remaining ganache. The easiest technique for this is to dunk the top of the cupcake into the bowl of ganache and to twist your wrist slightly as you pull the cupcake out of the bowl. If necessary, microwave the ganache for about 20 seconds to make it easier to work with.
  13. Optionally, drizzle some melted white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate and top with a chocolate truffle.

More Photos

Sometimes it’s too hard to pick a favorite photo, so here are some more!

Cupcake Project newbies may not realize that all of the photos here are taken by my Valentine, Jonathan. To see more of his work and/or find out about booking him for your wedding photos (he is willing to travel), family photos (for those in St. Louis), corporate photos, or to take artistic photos of your dinner, become a fan of J. Pollack Photography on Facebook. Be sure to tell him I sent you!

16 Responses to The Ultimate Truffle Cupcake

1. Sinful Southern Sweets February 2, 2010 at 3:09 am #

Oh my goodness! Could this be any more heavenly?

2. Nancy February 2, 2010 at 5:50 am #

May be my all-time favorite. About as orgasmic as your description of eating it. Found myself savoring every bite.

3. Cupcake Activist February 2, 2010 at 10:15 am #

That’s like two desserts in one!

4. Kendall A. February 2, 2010 at 10:50 am #

*swoon*

5. kimberleyblue February 3, 2010 at 7:43 am #

this is the most perfect cupcake ever.
    probably the most expensive too, but entirely worth it. mmmmm.

6. Natalie... February 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Ooh wow wow wow thsee look amazing!

7. theUngourmet February 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

This looks so deliciously decadent with truffle oil and truffle honey. Amazing job on these!!

8. How To Eat A Cupcake February 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Wow these look so incredible! I saw Paula Deen deep fry a ganache-filled cupcake the other day!!

9. Kitchen Butterfly March 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

Love love love the purple stand…..and the cakes too!!!!!

10. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines January 21, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Hi Steph, I just found your blog from my friend Becky and I just love it. Love how you work your magic on these adorable cupcakes. I love how the candy is just sitting on top of this one.
    -Gina-

11. Michelle July 6, 2011 at 9:32 am #

I accidentally stumbled onto this recipe, and it turns out a friend just bought me a jar of truffle honey. which i had no idea how to use! thank you for this recipe, i will be trying it out!

12. Britni November 10, 2012 at 5:45 am #

You have baking powder in the directions, but not in the list of ingredients. How much is used, if any? Approximately how long do these cook?

• Stef November 10, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Oh no! I can’t believe that you are the first person to point this out and the recipe is from 2010. I really can’t remember how much baking powder there was or if I even used any. I would guess that there wasn’t any, but I’m just not sure. I know that the ingredients are expensive and you many not want to risk wasting them. But, if you do try it, please let me know and I will update the recipe with your results. Bake time is 20 minutes.

1. THE ULTIMATE TRUFFLE CUPCAKE « The Cupcake Blog - June 5, 2014

[...] You don’t have top be prancing around a palace to enjoy this nifty nibble, but it helps. If it looks slightly la-di-dah with the piquant chocolate-ball finish, it’s because it is. You can smell the truffle in the cake before it passes through gilded portals. Bite right into it and traverse the rich dark chocolate first before the truffle-flavor – much more subtle than you would have imagined – sinks in. Then only does the cake, delectably draped in honey, come into play. It’s a delicacy not be truffled with. Source Cupcake Project [...]

2. THE ULTIMATE TRUFFLE CUPCAKE — Cupcake Pictures - June 5, 2014