Peaches and Cream Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Peaches and Cream Cupcakes

My Dad tells me that when I was a baby, my parents called me “Peaches and Cream.” I was born with peach fuzz on my head and my skin was creamy white. I often call my son “Sweet Pea.” Thank goodness it has nothing to do with his skin or hair being a pale green – scary!

Groom 3.0 requested more cupcakes with fruit. Dutifully listening to his request, I decided to give these seasonally-inappropriate peaches and cream cupcakes a go (with canned peaches) so that they could be in the running for Bride and Groom 3.0′s May wedding.

The petite slice of peach perched on the rim of these cupcakes makes me happy. It’s so bright and cheery! Truly, I could skip the cupcake entirely and just eat a bowl of peaches -perhaps with some cottage cheese. But, this is a cupcake blog, so cupcakes it is – airy vanilla cupcakes with hints of peach, topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting accented with peach jam.

Peaches and Cream Cupcake Recipe

If you don’t want to make a peaches and cream recipe to blend into the cupcake, you could mix in peach jam instead. While I have not tried it, I think that the peach jam would give the recipe a stronger peach flavor.

Peaches and Cream Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Peaches and Cream Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 C flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C sour cream
  • 2 C peaches and cream blended into a mush (see this peaches and cream recipe) or 1 C peach jam (try to find high quality jam with lots of real peach pieces or, if the season is right, make your own peach jam)
  • Vanilla Peach Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
  • 3 C confectioners' sugar (add more until it reaches your preferred consistency)
  • 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 t vanilla bean paste
  • 4 T peach jam (try to find high quality jam with lots of real peach pieces or, if the season is right, make your own peach jam)

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy.
  3. Add the butter and vanilla and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended.
  4. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended.
  5. Add the sour cream and beat until smooth and well blended.
  6. Mix in peaches and cream or peach jam.
  7. Divide batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners.
  8. Bake at 350 F for about 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean and the tops are firm.
  9. Vanilla Peach Buttercream Frosting Instructions
  10. Mix together sugar and butter until they are blended and creamy.
  11. Add vanilla bean paste and continue to beat for another minute.
  12. Mix in peach jam until just combined.

18 Responses to Peaches and Cream Cupcakes

1. Cupcake Crazy Gem February 27, 2010 at 5:08 am #

Hmm these look delicious! what a great combo, I cannot wait to try making some of these – thanks for sharing!

2. Mr. P February 28, 2010 at 4:52 am #

They are so pretty!

For some reason, I can never get my swirls to be perfectly circular like these are. It’s going to take work.

(Glad you liked my spoons by the way – it’s crazy to think that you were checking out my blog, when it’s always me checking out yours!)

3. MP February 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

Even with peach jam added (which sounds delicious, too), I think the little peach slice is so pretty.

4. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets February 28, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

These are too cute! I agree that the slice of peach on top is wonderful.

5. Stephanie March 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

These look scrumptious…totally bookmarking this recipe for the summer.

Do you have a recommended carrot cake/cupcake recipe? I’m on the hunt for a good one sans raisins :)

6. Stef March 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

Stephanie – I actually don’t have a great carrot cupcake. I’m adding it to the list.

7. Michelle March 3, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

I don’t get to bake very often so when I do I like to make things with as many steps as possible so I can enjoy it longer. I love that you have to make the peaches and cream from scratch, so much time, so much joy! Can’t wait to find an excuse to make these amazing looking cupcakes!

p.s. A friend I a friend is looking for cupcakes to make for her wedding, your was (obviously) the first site I thought of recommending!

8. Memória March 3, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

What a great idea and flavor combination!! This looks fabulous. I wish I could decorate as well as you.

9. Anonymous March 30, 2010 at 5:49 am #

I just made these last weekend and they were great!!!!
    I accidentally used cream cheese instead of sour cream on the cupcake, but it turned out yummy too :)

10. Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Very disappointed. Tried two separate batches and both were a huge flop. The batter didn’t rise in the oven. They were a mushy mess. Now I have this beautiful peach frosting with nothing to put the on.

11. Anonymous August 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I made these for a bridal shower I was hosting and they were a HIT!
    So yummy and pretty.
    Thank you!

12. Anonymous September 28, 2011 at 10:10 am #

I followed the recipe exactly, and my cupcakes did not rise.

13. Isie April 4, 2012 at 3:47 am #

I made these (gluten-free) with peach butter and they were delicious! I didn’t put icing on them, instead I brushed them with a tad of melted butter and dipped them in cinnamon sugar.

14. Tayyaba Akbar92 June 4, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Can we substitute vanilla bean for vanilla essence? We dont get vanilla beans in pakistan.

• Stef June 6, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Yes, you should be fine.

15. Ashy baby June 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I too just made these and they rose in the oven, then when i pulled them out (When they were a pretty golden color) They fell in the middle. Could the problem be my peaches and cream was to runny? I am so sad… HELP!! My husband was dying to try these, and sadly shook his head at me when they failed… as if saying i was not good enough to accomplish these :(

• Stef June 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that. I can’t say what happened, but your husband should be happy that you took the time to make yummy cupcakes from scratch no matter how they looked. It’s impressive! I can’t remember exactly what the texture of these was – I think it was like a dense cake.

• Ashy Baby June 13, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Thanks so much, Going to try again today! I am dead set on making these work!!! I loved how they tasted but when they fell i was heart broken. Then to see the texture, felt like an utter fail! When ive done so well with all cupcakes lol. Even creating some on my own!

16. Ashy Baby June 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Also, was your inside fluffy like a cake? Or like a peach cobbler texture? Mine tasted great, but had a mushy texture… im really thinking my peaches and cream is where i went wrong… it was runny & not fluffy looking like yours, however it tasted amazing lol.

17. Ashy Baby June 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Well i tried again. PERFECT! I found the problem, and it was in deed in the peaches in cream, i knew they were to runny. When i wrote the recipe down (which i normally DONT do… i always print it) i wrote flour in the ingredients, but not the directions… So i skipped that whole part, hence why the whole cupcake was ruined. They turned out great this time around. I cant taste peach at all, except when i get one in the icing. Have you ever tried adding peach flavoring or maybe more peaches? Any suggestions? Thanks a ton… trying to figure out which ones to bake next!!

18. Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I recently made these, but I made mine with peach preserves, added a little cinnamon to the batter, and used finely diced fresh peaches in the batter and frosting. The only problem I had was that the cupcakes fell flat other than that they were a big hit and I should have made two batches.

19. Anonymous June 23, 2012 at 3:12 am #

Hi, I can’t wait to make these cupcakes! They look so beautiful (and yummy)! May I ask what tip you used to pipe your frosting? I want mine to look just like your picture. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks so much :)

• Stef July 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Sorry for the delayed response. I used a 1m star tip.

20. Stacey Wasserman July 5, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I plan to make my own version of peach cupcakes for my mothers 60th birthday this weekend so I am gathering ideas from multiple websites. These sound fun and easy btu how do you feel about a basic, fresh peach puree instead of peaches and cream or peach jam?

• Stef July 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

If you use fresh peaches, I’d suggest cooking them first (maybe with some brown sugar) just to bring out the flavor.

1. Wedding 3.0 – Why I Made Over 300 Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - April 21, 2013

[...] 3.0′s favorite cupcake was the peaches n’ cream and Bride 3.0′s favorite was the chocolate pumpkin. Mine was the pound cake (not that it [...]

2. Calzone Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - September 26, 2013

[...] to be her partner again! Last time, I made her peaches n’ cream.  It ended up going into my peaches n’ cream cupcakes which were picked for Wedding 3.0!  If you like my calzone cupcakes, you should definitely check [...]