Panettone – Cupcake Style | Cupcake Project

Panettone – Cupcake Style

Panettone is one of the few cakes that you can buy in a box at Walgreens. I’ve always seen the panettone there, but like the Snuggie for dogs, I just look – I’ve never purchased. That being said, I can’t tell you if my panettone cupcakes are better or worse than the panettone cake in the boxes. But, I believe that the odds of homemade baked goods being better than their store-bought counterparts are about the same as the odds of a book being better than its movie adaptation – just about 100% (feel free to correct me, fans of boxed panettone or movie adaptions of books).

Panettone Whoseewhatsee?

If you’ve spent the whole first paragraph wondering what in the world panettone is and how you say it (it’s pon-a-tony), here is your answer: Panettone is an Italian sweet bread with dried fruit and/or candied fruit typically served during Christmas time. I’ve (of course) made mine in cupcake wrappers. I got the adorable seasonal wrappers shown above and below as a gift from cousin Bryna. Thanks!!

Panettone Cupcake Recipe

To make these panettone cupcakes, I converted a panettone recipe from allrecipes.com to cupcake format. I am reprinting it below with the cupcake adaptation and my notes.

Panettone – Cupcake Style

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Panettone – Cupcake Style

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 C warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C nonfat plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 T grated lemon zest (I used 1/4 t lemon extract and 1/4 t orange extract)
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 C dried currants
  • 1/4 C raisins (I also added 1/4 C dried cherries and 1/4 C dried cranberries. Feel free to add whatever dried fruit you like!)
  • 1 T confectioners' sugar
  • 1 T butter, melted (optional)

1. In a medium bowl, combine yeast, water and sugar.
  2. Cover and let stand 10 minutes, or until foamy.
  3. Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Mix well.
  4. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms into a manageable ball.
  5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, until dough is soft and pliable, but not sticky. (You may need up to 5 cups flour.)
  6. Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl.
  7. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  8. In a small bowl, toss dried fruit with confectioners' sugar.
  9. Punch down dough, transfer to floured surface, and knead in the fruit.
  10. Line cupcake tin with liners and divide dough evenly between them.
  11. Cover loosely with dish towel, and let rise 30 minutes.
  12. Brush with melted butter, if desired.
  13. Bake for at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Other Christmas Cupcake Ideas:

7 Responses to Panettone – Cupcake Style

1. Nancy December 17, 2009 at 5:04 am #

Oh, you didn’t mention boxed at Walgreens. The only one I’ve ever received and loved was from Williams-Sonoma. (Thank you, Cal!) It was huge, Myron and I both loved it, and it could have been breakfast or dessert – or bread pudding ingredient – forever. Will give this one another try with coffee later.

2. Jason Sandeman December 17, 2009 at 5:19 am #

Oh, now you have combined two of my favorite things: Cupcakes and Panetone! Sweet!

3. Nang December 17, 2009 at 6:42 am #

Actually I love the boxed Panettone, although I usually just get the mini versions because I’m the only one at home who likes panettone. My husband says “it’s just bread”. (eyeroll!) I’ll have to try the homemade version though!

4. Pursuit of Healthfulness December 17, 2009 at 7:11 am #

I’ve also be really intrigued by panettone lately… it seems that Giada on the Food Network can’t stop raving about it, and I take her in pretty high authority!

Now I don’t have any excuse not to give it a try! Thanks!

5. Bryna December 17, 2009 at 8:21 am #

Besides the Panettone, I’m loving the snowman frill-picks!!!

6. Kim December 17, 2009 at 1:09 pm #

Huh, so I first read this as Pantone, you know, the computer color wheel thingy? I’m thinking, why is she baking with color, although that would be cool.

Gah, the holidays make me blind.

7. Lauren December 18, 2009 at 6:28 am #

What a clever idea to morph a Panettone loaf into muffins. They look delicious!

8. ~~louise~~ December 18, 2009 at 7:36 am #

Hi Stef, just popped in to see what’s cookin’. What festive cupcakes! You’ve done it again!

Thanks for sharing…

9. Dawn December 18, 2009 at 8:00 am #

Cupcakes are the perfect serving size and these look so light and not TOO sweet.

10. Megan December 19, 2009 at 6:09 am #

What a great idea. I’m going to try this recipe for Taste and Create.

11. Martha December 21, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Yum Panettone… I might bake these as Chocottone, my favorite Holiday treat!

12. Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home December 22, 2009 at 8:10 am #

Really really cute!

I enjoy movie adaptations when it hasn’t been ridiculously Hollywoodized (Revolution Road is a good one)

Imported Panettone from a respectable Italian maker is very good. Even better is Pandoro (which doesn’t have all the dried fruit.)

ps: pronounce like this: pahn-eh-toh-neh

Happy Holidays!

13. Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home December 22, 2009 at 8:12 am #

I meant to say “Revolutionary Road” back there…

ps: Snuggies for DOGS?! I feel like getting a dog just to buy him one!

14. Victoria December 24, 2009 at 2:22 am #

A friend just told me about your blog….love it!!!! I LOVE panettone…my mum is italian and so i grew up on the stuff at christmas time….and easter too….i totally crave it! These cupcakes look great!! thanks!
    ps boxed panettone is also great to use to make french toast! xo

15. Monica January 9, 2011 at 4:36 am #

So I just did all the steps up until baking and just realized that you didn’t put the temperature at which we should bake it!! Help! In the meantime I’m just going to go back to the original recipe and bake it at that temperature.

16. Annie January 9, 2011 at 5:15 am #

Love love LOVE your blog! I’ve made at least a dozen of your recipes before. I usually am in love with your recipes but for some reason this one didn’t come out right. I found the taste to be too bland. Tasted too much like plain bread and although the texture was nice, it obviously wasnt the lovely texture that the panettone is known for. I only put 3/4 cup of dried fruit in it and I think I should’ve used more. I’ll try making this again someday

17. Stef January 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Monica – Oops. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know. I just added the temperature (350 F) to the post.

Annie – Sorry that this one didn’t work out for you. :(

18. mensajes claro December 23, 2011 at 11:02 am #

Happy Holidays!

19. Lost weekend December 15, 2013 at 5:46 am #

Sorry but this recipe is really bad – my cupcakes came out like bland flavourless dinner rolls! Hours wasted and with nothing to take to my Christmas party. Thanks for mutton!

• Stef December 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

:( I’m so sorry to hear that. Obviously, I did not have that experience.

1. Maple Oatmeal Mustard Muffins | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] Despite the fact that muffins are the geeky friend of the hipster cupcake, these muffins have nothing to be ashamed of. They have the tender sweetness of maple, the in-your-face texture of oatmeal, and a surprise sassy kick from the mustard. They were a huge hit with my moms’ group (winning out over a chocolate cupcake that I made for a Scharffen Berger contest and Panettone Cupcakes). [...]