Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat! | Cupcake Project

Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat!

Cold Oven Pound Cake Cupcakes

Have you ever made a cold oven pound cake? I hadn’t even heard of cold oven pound cake until my friend Donna suggested I give it a try. “It’s the best pound cake ever!” she exclaimed with such enthusiasm – immediately piquing my interest.

Cold oven pound cake is made using a typical pound cake recipe, but it’s baked for a longer time in a cooler oven that hasn’t been preheated.

Was it simply that Donna tasted a better than average pound cake recipe, or does baking cold oven pound cake really make a difference in the end result? I was determined to find out!

Is Cold Oven Pound Cake Better?

Using the exact same recipe, I baked half of my pound cake cupcakes in a preheated oven at 350 F for 25 minutes and the other half starting in a cold oven heating up to 275 F for 60 minutes. I then subjected my friends and family to blind taste tests (not that they minded).

EVERYONE liked the cold oven pound cake better! Some people went so far as to say that the cold oven ones were like a completely different dessert. The difference was in the texture. The cold oven pound cake was denser and had less of a crumb. It was what you would expect from pound cake. I’m not a food scientist (I can’t explain why this works), but I would suggest that you try this technique the next time you make a pound cake.

Cold Oven Pound Cake Recipe

The key ingredient in pound cake, of course, is BUTTER. Pound cake gets its name from the fact that the classic pound cake recipe contains a full pound of butter. For my cold oven pound cake (in cupcake form), I used butter compliments of Challenge Butter. Challenge Butter is not sold here in St. Louis, but it is available in other parts of the country. I figured that if they were going to send me butter, I needed to make something super buttery!

The cold oven pound cake recipe I used was from Annie Laurie on Bakespace. It was one stick shy of the traditional full pound of butter. Annie says that her mother was famous for it, and I can understand why. I am reprinting the recipe below with my notes and modifications to make cupcakes instead of a cake.

Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat!

Yield: 24 cupcakes

Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat!

• 1 1/2 C unsalted butter
  • 3 C sugar
  • 6 eggs (cold)
  • 3 C sifted cake flour (I used all-purpose flour since that was all I had on hand, and it worked well)
  • 1 C whole milk, VERY cold (I used 2%)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 t almond extract (Use any extract here that you like. I used coffee extract.)

1. Cream butter and sugar together.
  2. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  3. Beat in flour, one cup at a time, alternating with milk.
  4. Add extracts.
  5. Beat on medium-high to high speed for two minutes, scraping down sides of bowl.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Place on middle rack in a COLD oven and bake at 275 F for 1 hour.

Notes

People have reported that it makes many more than 24 cupcakes. Maybe even double that. You may want to halve the recipe.)

The Frosting

I frosted these cupcake with banana whipped cream with cacao nibs. But an advantage of such a plain cake is that you can top it with whatever flavor frosting you most love!

Flashback

This is not the first time that I have made pound cake cupcakes (although it’s a first for the cold oven variety). I made mini pound cake cupcakes to dip in chocolate fondue for Valentine’s Day. You might consider trying that same technique with this recipe for the holidays. If you make these as minis, simply bake for half the time.

72 Responses to Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat!

1. Marisa December 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

Very interesting! Never heard of this method.

2. Amanda December 8, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

I’m so intrigued by this. I wonder if my pound cake purist family would even humor me. :)

3. Jessica December 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm #

Yes, the cold oven ones were much tastier… almost more fruity tasting than the other ones.

I’m going to try this next time I make a pound cake (my mom’s favorite).

Stef, Do you think this would work with other cake recipes?

4. Vicki Bensinger December 8, 2009 at 7:39 pm #

I love all these recipes you come up with. They’re so much fun. Plus the Challenge Butter website is great. It gives so much useful information about butter. Can’t wait to try these.

5. NikiTheo December 9, 2009 at 6:20 am #

I am soooo intrigued!!! This is a definite must try!

6. Anonymous December 9, 2009 at 6:27 am #

Jim said
    These look so good!! I made some twinkies this week,and wanted something new,and I used a pound cake recipe,and everyone,thought they were real good!! I don’t know why,maybe fear of failing,but me and many others are not real great at the dipping thing.I got several pots,but after having some trouble,before,I sorta,move away,from it.I see recipes,and want to try,and keep the recipe,and really say “Later”!! Maybe this would be a great post for you Ladies,before Christmas,I know I’m not the only one,with this fear.Have a nice Christmas!!

7. Nina December 9, 2009 at 6:56 am #

So happy you posted on this!! This is true–I have always baked my pound cakes in a cold oven and they always turn out perfect! I thought it was a southern thing (where I grew up)…also when the “Charleston Cake Lady” published her cookbooks a few years back, she did the same. Everyone should try it–you won’t ever go back to preheating the oven! Thanks again for this post–your cupcakes look wonderful!

8. Nang December 9, 2009 at 6:59 am #

This sounds really interesting, I’ll have to try it!

This is my first comment but I have been reading your blog for a few weeks and love it! I recently took an interest in cupcakes (I’m from Europe originally so it’s not really a huge thing over there) and have been experimenting a lot :) Thanks for the great and fun ideas!

9. Elle December 9, 2009 at 9:02 am #

Such an interesting idea! I was planning to make a trifle for Christmas–just might have to try this pound cake!

10. Stef December 9, 2009 at 10:18 am #

Jess – I honestly have no idea. Might be worth a try!

Vicki – Glad you liked the Challenge Butter site. They seem like really nice folks from my interactions with them.

Niki – Hope you enjoy!

Marisa – Yeah, it was new to me too!

Amanda – Give it a go!

Jim – You’ll have to explain more about this fear of dipping. I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean.

Nina – Interesting. Hadn’t heard that it was a Southern thing.

Nang- Thanks for leaving a comment and saying hello! Glad you enjoy the blog.

Elle – Cool! Enjoy!

11. ~~louise~~ December 9, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

I sure could have used this recipe when I was attempting to bake my grand daughter’s Strawberry Shortcake for her birthday visit. I burnt her requested pound cake recipe not once but twice. I had to resort to a box mix which everyone liked but I’m sure they were being polite. I am so BAD at baking!!!

Thanks for sharing, Stef. Perhaps someday I will try again just for the heck of it and to try this recipe as per your instructions!!!

12. selina December 9, 2009 at 11:06 pm #

Hi Stef- Thank you so much for sharing this. I love the blind taste tests…very interesting…I must try it soon! Oh and I should confess that I am a food scientist but I am not sure what the causes of the sensory preference are. Hmmm…maybe I need to do some serious research on this?! :) Awesome blog, thank you!

13. ModCreations December 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm #

I LOVE pound cake, but never new it had a full pound of butter in it. No WONDER the calories are through the roof. But they are sooooo good.

14. Von December 11, 2009 at 3:18 am #

I’ve never heard of cold oven pound cake before……must try it some time! It looks really good!

15. Donna Mathes December 11, 2009 at 5:19 pm #

See Stef? They’re amazing. My life has changed!

Thanks to my great friend, Whitney for introducing us all to this new way of baking! I know her recipe has been in her family for a long time.

16. Risa December 12, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

pound cake is a dangerous thing with me…but pound cake and fondue, oh my!

17. Primary Work at Home December 18, 2009 at 1:29 am #

Thanks for sharing this one. I will definitely try this one.

18. Darlene January 2, 2010 at 9:58 am #

Interesting concept – I will have to try the recipe. Great blog!!!

19. Aparna January 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Never heard of baking in a cold oven. Have to try this one for sure.

20. John March 24, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

Do you know if this recipe can be halved and still get good results? I’m making mini cupcakes and don’t need nearly this much batter. Thanks!

21. Stef March 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

John – I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m sure it will work just fine halved.

22. Nika June 10, 2010 at 8:44 am #

i was just wondering, is there anyway to make this into a loaf?

23. Stef June 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Nika – Sure! It would be a great loaf cake. The only change would be that it will take longer to cook. It might take up to 2 hours. I haven’t made it, so I can’t tell you for sure. Just check on it periodically.

24. Anonymous June 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

I found you through Food Gawker or Tastespotting and am so glad I did! I baked these cupcakes tonight and they were the best I’ve ever tasted. The flavor reminded my husband and I of wedding cake…mmm!

I have some questions, however:

I used 24 cupcake molds and had way too much batter. I had never baked a pound cake before, so I thought perhaps that a cake (or cupcakes) like this just wouldn’t rise as much, so I filled the tins too high. The cupcakes got huge and bubbled over the side – it kind of looked like a big cookie sitting on top of the cake. What could I have done wrong that I produced so much batter when we both followed the same set of instructions and your batch resulted in 24 normal-sized cuppies?

Second! The “cookies” that formed on top of the tin were actually VERY tasty. They were kind of crisp and chewy and had the texture of an actual cookie. Is there any way to convert this recipe to bonafide cookies or am I just crazy?

Thank you for your help!

25. Stef June 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

Anon – I can’t say why yours made so many more. Sorry. I guess next time, just stick to filling them 3/4 full as make as many as you can make. As for your cookie question – I LOVED that question. So.. I tried it tonight! I baked tiny pound cake cookies on a cookies sheet. I did at at 350 F for 15 min. They aren’t the prettiest things, but they sure are yummy. Chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. I may even post about it. Thanks for asking.

26. Beth June 19, 2010 at 5:26 am #

Thank you for your response!

I made the pound cuppies again, this morning, and still have left over batter! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I’m definitely a novice baker, so I am positive I’m doing SOMETHING wrong. Should the flour be sifted, then measured, or measured, then sifted? Would that make such a big difference? I’m guessing I have probably 36 cuppies, as opposed to 24. I don’t have enough tins to bake all of them at once, so I can’t be sure how many extra I have (first batch of 24 is in the oven).

I would love, love, love to read your experience about the pound cookies! Man, those crispy and chewy tops were so delicious last time I made these cuppies. I think my sister-in-law will be a little disappointed, actually, that I tried to ensure not to overfill these tins this time.

And, as far as filling the tins – do you just eyeball it, or use some scooper or what? I try to use a measuring cup – about 1/3 of a cup, but there is no way all of that batter gets in the tin or it would overflow, I think. Is there a more precise way of doing it? Pardon me if you’ve already addressed this on your site!

Thanks for your feedback and help!! Yum, can’t wait to serve these today – we’re having Father’s Day today since I’ll be travelling tomorrow. I hope my father-in-law enjoys them!

Beth/Anon

27. Stef June 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Beth – Here is my post on the cookies. http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2010/06/cupcake-poop.html. As for the rest of your question. I just eyeball it and I actually skipped the sifting (wonder if that made a difference). But, I could have simply written the wrong number. Perhaps someone else will make it and tell us how many they get.

28. Space Monkey 1138 June 27, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

I made this as my birthday cake, in a 11×17 sheet cake pan with this frosting: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

Thank you so much! It is incredible. Reminds me of wedding cake (it must be the almond extract). This is going to be our family’s go-to birthday cake!

29. Bailey August 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

Hey there, I am currently baking the COLD pound cake cupcakes and using the leftover dough for the poops. I cut the recipe in half because there weren’t going to be many of us enjoying them. Anyways, after cutting the recipe in half and filling them 3/4 of the way it make 24 cupcakes. The batter is wonderful and I am sure the cupcakes will be too. I thought I would report back since I had an opportunity to make them after you posted about how many a batch made. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

30. Stef August 10, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Bailey – Thanks for letting me (and everyone else) know. That helps! Hope you enjoyed them!

31. Beth August 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

Thanks, Bailey!

I may be totally nuts, but whenever I cut this recipe in half, the cupcakes seem to taste better. I am probably nuts, but whatever.

Despite buying an oven thermometer and using it, these specific cupcakes sink in the middle. It is so mystifying – they rise and then sink in the middle, forming a crispy crust on the top, with a big pocket of air right under the crust. Sometimes, the crust opens, and you can see the little cupcakes about half of an inch or an inch so down. The middle doesn’t seem completely done, but the whole thing tastes wonderful – from the almost done cupcake, to the cracked crispy crust on top, to the cupcake cookies that are formed when the batter overflows (although, they don’t overflow much anymore since I’ve learned how much matter goes in the cups after making these so many times). Taste great, look terrible. Hard to frost because of the cracked open pockets on the top.

My husband actually prefers the taste of the cupcakes without the frosting, because the cupcake is so rich and delicious that any frosting I’ve ever used has overpowered the cake or made the whole thing beyond rich. That includes one of the frostings linked – my favorite frosting, in fact – from the Pioneer Woman. I think I will try the whipped cream frosting at some point – I love whipped cream frosting, and strawberry whipped frosting sounds like it could be just perfect. I had almond cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting for my wedding, so I imagine that would be reminiscent of it (cream cheese frosting may be too rich on this cake, though (?), so as I said, I’ll try the whipped).

ANYWAY, sorry for all of these posts, but I am basically obsessed with these cupcakes. And if anyone has any hints on how to make them purdy like that the photos on this page, please let me know. For now, I’ll continue to eat ugly cupcakes, but I would really like to know what I am doing wrong!

• Beth September 4, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

I read on another site about pound cake that over beating the eggs can cause a sort of meringue crust to form on the top, maybe you are beating to batter to fast after the eggs are added?

32. Maryanne October 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

Beth,
    Baked these cupcakes today, and mine also turned out like yours, crusty/crispy on top not pretty at all, but they taste amazing! Any ideas as to why ours aren’t as pretty?

33. Anonymous November 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

I tried this recipe, and I have no clue what I did wrong, i baked them at 275 for 60 min and ended up with a cupcake that looked like a hockey puck! The edges of the cupcake tins had a crust on them so I am assuming that they rose then fell. HELP!

34. Stef November 27, 2010 at 7:04 pm #

Anon – One thing that I am wondering about is if the size of the eggs is causing the problem for those of you who are having a consistency problem. I neglected to state it in the recipe, but I use large eggs. Were you using extra large?

35. Caroline November 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

Stef – I was the previous post, just signed in. I used the large eggs, I am stumped!

36. Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

i have my cupcakes in the oven now. they are baking perfectly, with only 8 minutes left! i’m wondering if those who had issues with the baking process made sure their rack was in the middle position of the oven, as instructed. i think this makes a difference. i also had a ton of batter, and so i put the extra in a little oval cake pan i had and popped it in my convection oven, cold, at 275, on the bottom rack. baked perfectly. i think it’s those pesky racks…sorry i don’t have a google account. i’m shana. :)

37. pittcogal February 18, 2011 at 5:29 am #

Being a Southerner, which means eating lots of homemade pound cake throughout one’s lifetime, the cold oven method is the ONLY way I know! I will use my Grandmother’s recipe, which isn’t too different from the one I read (she used some shortening in hers)and I will try them as cupcakes. They look gorgeous!

38. Anonymous March 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

I also tried this recipe for a coworkers birthday. I made them exactly, and I do mean exactly, according to the posted recipe, even checking to make sure I was using large eggs. I made them the night before, intending to let them rest overnight before trying to ice with a storebought frosting. I also experienced the crisp/chewy cookie top, although I had not overfilled the cups. my cakes were slightly risen above the mold cup level, with a crisp cookie top umbrellaed over a thin flat pocket of air, over the baked cupcake mass. The cookie top (while delicious as crumbs) broke and shattered crumbs everywhere as I levered the cooled cupcakes out of the pan. I ended up gently scraping the cookie top off the rest of the cake part so that they were possible to ice. Other than that issue (which was a bit time consuming) the flavor was great, and once iced, noone noticed any difference from regularly topped cupcakes. Unless you have a suggestion for a fix to eliminate the cookie top, I doubt I will try again. Thank you though.. Worth an attept.

39. Stef March 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Anon – Wish I could help. No idea why this is happening to some of you. Glad you enjoyed them anyway!

40. nanabaker March 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Could the difference be that some bakers have electric ovens and some have gas?

41. Anonymous April 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I made a half batch of these, but I didn’t have the problem of the cookie top. They came out like tiny pound cakes and were definitely tasty. I’ll make these again! Also, my half batch made about 15 cupcakes, so I guess if I made it as written I’d get about 30 out of it. I’d eat all of them if I could.

42. Anonymous April 23, 2011 at 5:59 am #

Great Idea! I’ve been making cold oven pound cakes for years and never thought to make cupcakes. To those concerned with the crunchy tops, that is a characteristic of cold oven pound cakes. Don’t cut it off, it’s the best part! I suggest shaking a little 10x sugar on top to pretty it up a bit.

43. ariel April 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

My pound cake cuppies are in the oven :) I cut the recipe in 1/3 and it made 10 cupcakes, I might have filled them a little to full though… we’ll see.
    Just to clarify, there isn’t supposed to be any baking powder or soda in these? I know that some pound cake recipes do have that and some don’t, I was just wondering if that could have anything to do with they hockey pucks that some people got?
    thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try these.

44. Stef May 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Ariel – Nope, no baking powder / soda. Hope you enjoyed!

45. Beckie June 23, 2011 at 11:44 am #

LOOOOOOVE these cupcakes! Made them today.

46. Anonymous June 25, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Not pretty at all but these are the best tasting pound cake cupcakes!
    I just came across this recipe and tried the cupcakes. I had the same problem mentioned previously with them shrinking into the middle. They were level with the top of the wrapper when I first took them out of the oven and then just sunk around the crusty part. They are really delicious.

47. Anonymous July 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

should the butter be cold or room temperature?

48. Stef July 25, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Anon – It should be room temperature.

49. avnano July 25, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

hi! would like to ask if i baked it in a mini muffin pan, how much time would it take to bake it? thanks.

50. Stef July 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Avnano – It should take about half the time.

51. cupsbykim January 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

I just made these both ways, cold oven and preheated oven. My cold oven ones came out with a nice chewy top to them, and my preheated oven ones came out with a very flaky, almost filo type top to them. They taste fantastic, but not sure why the tops came out funny. I can’t wait to post on my blog about what I’m doing with them!!!

52. Amanda January 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

I used a polish pound cake that is made like this for school, and it was delicous! Cold cake is much better

53. Lynell's Sweet Shop February 10, 2012 at 8:31 am #

did you use a gas oven or electric? I have electric, would I need to make any changes? I’m excited to try this!! Thanks!

54. Juiceb February 15, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

I made these the other day and did not have any luck at all. I used almond milk in place of milk, but that was my only substitution and I followed the recipe to a t. I always substitute soy or almond milk in baking recipes and have never had a problem before. My cupcakes ended up coming out really weird and chewy and they had a film on top. Better luck next time, I suppose.

55. Stef February 16, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Lynell – I use an electric oven – but it shouldn’t make a difference.

JuiceB – Sorry to hear that. :(

56. Sarah March 29, 2012 at 1:11 am #

Hey, Ive been wanting to try this recipe for a while… it intrigued me :) . Anyway, baked this morning, followed exact recipe, didnt want cupcakes tho, wanted to make a layer cake, figured i’d just have to bake longer. So i made half the recipe amount..and divided between 3 7inch tins, perfect amount for that btw!.. They are baked to perfection, with just the right amount of rise, no sinkage in the middle.. no dodgy crust lol… buuuuuut… they were ready after a mere 35 mins!!! Couldnt understand how on earth that was possible with such a cool oven temperature and from cold! Oh and i have an oven thermometer so i know the temperature was correct.
    Weird huh :/

57. jlp8458 April 17, 2012 at 7:56 am #

What can i do to make them chocolate

58. Anonymous May 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Made the full recipe today without good results. I had to use 2 racks…after less than half the baking time, I smelled burning and, sure enough, the 24 cakes on the middle rack were burned. The ones on the top rack were not done yet so I moved them down to the middle rack for just a few more minutes before taking them out. The ones that burned still tasted okay on the inside but the sides and bottom were awful. Don’t know how they could have burned at such a low temp, without preheating and having 48 cupcakes in the oven! The ones that didn’t burn also didn’t rise AND totally stuck to the cupcake wrappers. Okay if they were just for the family but not to bring to a function like I had planned. Don’t know how it went so wrong! Any advice?
    -Winnie P. from MA

59. sekesterson21 June 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

This method makes the cupcake taste amazing!!! I used a different pound cake recipe but used this cold oven method and they were just perfect. Nothing but raves!!

60. Suzanne Pomeranz August 18, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Just so’s you know – Annie Laurie was the mother (I’m one of the three daughters) who made the cake! We always called it “Annie Laurie’s Famous Cold Oven Pound Cake” because all the family and extended family and friends and “others” who got to taste it always raved about how wonderful it tasted!

Mom used to make up a couple, cut them in half and freeze, just to have something to give as a gift as needed. I would call her up and say, “Hi Mom, what’s up; what ya doin’?” She’d say, “Oh, I’m making pound cakes… ” which meant someone had a birthday or an anniversary or a new baby or got an award or was sick and needed cheering up… any excuse would do!

Now, my sisters Sarah & Laurie and I make the cake on occasion… and “religiously” follow Mom’s instructions!

• Stef March 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Hi Suzanne,

You probably won’t see this and way too much time has gone by since you left this comment. But, thanks for leaving it. You were a lucky daughter!!

I really appreciate you stopping by the blog and can’t believe I am just now seeing this years later.

All the best,

Stef

61. Valerie Dominici August 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Ok let me just start by saying I’m obsessed with your blog!! Every time I have a baking question and I take it to google, it directs me to one of your posts. Eventually I just stopped googling and started coming straight here, so thank you!

The only question I had was that I only have room for one 12 cup muffin tin in my oven. I read through all the comments and saw that one person cooked these in a preheated oven and got a phyllo-type crust on the top. Do you know if anyone else has tried cooking these in a warm oven?

In the event that I absolutely must stay away from a preheated oven when attempting these, what should I do with the rest of my batter after the first batch is done and the oven cools down? I was thinking just pop it in the fridge because most the ingredients are cold, but since the recipe calls for room temp butter I’m not sure they’d come out right. Thoughts?

62. Suzaku24 September 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

63. Lolo September 19, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Maybe the people having trouble are using a fan assisted oven? I find with my oven I need to bake anything on the convection setting and not the fan setting, otherwise things rise and bake too quickly, resulting in a crunchy or overbaked crust/topper – slow and no fan may be the way to go for these..

64. Grace February 14, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Steph! I made these for my birthday and brought them to school…everyone loved loved loved them! I blogged about them too :) thanks for the recipe!

65. Jenna April 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

Hi! I absolutely love your blog. I found it earlier this year when I started to really get into cooking, particularly baking. When I’m looking for something I always come right to here first. :]

This was the first recipe that I had serious problems with. First off, I should mention that I normally cook cupcakes at 325 for 15-20 minutes (my oven cooks super fast) so I wasn’t sure how these would work. I definitely knew, though, that I could NOT cook them for a full hour.

My first problem was that they overflowed like no cupcakes I have ever made ever. I didn’t put any more batter than I usually do in the tins, but not only did they overflow, they overflowed into each other and even more so.

My second problem was that after they were done, they sank a little (I’m used to that, no big deal) but then I noticed that they all had air pockets, so much so that the outer “cookie rim” as some people called it literally came off. There were very few out of the 24 that I made that I was able to salvage. Probably not even 10.

My THIRD problem (this was the point where I just started screaming “REALLY?!” Haha) was that the wrappers literally fell off. The minute I pulled the cupcakes out of the tins, the wrappers just came off like they were nonstick or something. Standard white liners. I’ve had problems with wrappers sticking, but never with them just falling off.

The saddest part for me, though, was that they were DELICIOUS. Like I mean one of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever eaten. But I sell my cupcakes at places of business and there was no way I could sell those.

Sorry for the long comment, but I really need help with this one. Thanks for reading this. :]

-Jenna

1. Ginger Pear Cupcakes with Miso Salted Caramel | Cupcake Project - April 29, 2013

[...] add ground ginger and chopped pears to your favorite yellow cake recipe.  I started with a pound cake cupcake recipe which produces really dense cupcakes.  If you like lighter/fluffier yellow cake, try my sour cream [...]

2. Yogurt and Honey Cupcakes – A Taste of Greece | Cupcake Project - May 2, 2013

[...] flavored with honey.  On its own, it is unremarkable.  But, don’t write it off.  Just like pound cake is so much better with whipped cream and fruit topping and ladyfingers are nothing special until [...]

3. Tiramisu Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - May 2, 2013

[...] made cupcake versions of tiramisu.  The common way of making tiramisu cupcakes is to start with a basic yellow or white cupcake recipe, flavor it with some rum and coffee, and top it with mascarpone, whipped cream, and cocoa powder.  [...]

4. Cupcake Poop | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] may even find that the poop is better than the cupcakes themselves. I received a comment on my pound cake cupcakes that got me thinking about deliberately making cupcake [...]

5. King of Fruits Cupcakes | Cup/Cake Memoirs - July 25, 2014