Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs | Cupcake Project

Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs

Banana whipped cream is the ultimate in decadence for the banana lover. Use it to top even the most boring desserts (if you’re short on time, you could even use a store-bought cake) and you’ll be sure to impress. Mixing in some crunchy cacao nibs takes the whipped cream to the next level of dessert heaven.

Banana Whipped Cream Recipe

Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs

Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs

• 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup cacao nibs

1. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  2. Mix in sugar until incorporated.
  3. Peel and slice banana.
  4. Microwave the slices for 45 seconds. (This may vary by microwave. You are looking for something very soft, but not liquid.)
  5. Mash the microwaved banana and let it come to room temperature.
  6. Stir the banana and cacao nibs into the whipped cream.

Notes

Tip: Most recipes that call for bananas recommend that you use overripe bananas because they are extra sweet. This requires advance planning. If you have a spur of the moment desire to bake with bananas, you can microwave a not-so-ripe banana to bring out its sweetness.

Where Did You Get That GORGEOUS Cupcake Wrapper?

The gorgeous cupcake wrapper came from Alison of Sugar Cat Studio. I am excited to announce that Sugar Cat Studio is going to be a sponsor of Wedding 3.0!!! I’ll be showcasing a variety of wrappers from Sugar Cat Studio in the months leading up to the wedding, and Alison will be creating custom wrappers for Bride and Groom 3.o’s big day!

Don’t wait to see her designs here, though – go check them out on her etsy site now. They would make a great gift for a cupcake lover. I adored the box they came in with the cute cupcake sticker!

Coming Soon

The cupcake under the frosting is up next.

9 Responses to Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs

1. G. Alarcon December 4, 2009 at 8:47 pm #

Your banana whipped cream with cacao nibs looks so wonderfully delicious. It’ll be easily be the perfect whip cream for almost any cake.

Thanks for providing the recipe for this awesome whip cream.

2. Vicky December 4, 2009 at 8:49 pm #

LOVE the wrappers!! What do you use to bake the cupcakes in since it looks like they’re placed in the wrappers afterwards?

3. tracieMoo December 5, 2009 at 12:29 am #

The banana frosting looks delicious!
    I would love one of the cute wrappers!

4. Stef December 6, 2009 at 6:52 pm #

Vicky – You bake in any cupcake liner that you have on hand. Then, slip the lined cupcake into the decorative wrapper.

5. Ella December 7, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

I have made this before and used it to top hot cocoa- hot chocolate with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it of course! My little cousins just love the twist on traditional hot cocoa.

6. Kevin December 11, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Banana whipped cream sounds so good!

7. MARGARITA BLOOM December 29, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

That sounds decadent! banana whipped cream…yummy!! :)

8. Mia April 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I tried this, and it’s super awesome! It makes approximately 1 cup of finished cream. I did add less sugar; even with 1/4c, the cream was still PLENTY sweet. 3-4 TB would probably be enough. 1/3c would be overwhelming for me. Definitely add in the cacao nibs!! But again, 1/4 c was overkill. I scaled it back to 3TB and everything was fabulous. Thanks for sharing this idea!

9. Cassie March 27, 2011 at 10:16 am #

This may sound very odd, but at the request of my 4 yr old great niece, she is wanting to make a banana cream pie with banana icing. I cam across this recipe and it looks like it would be light enough to do so. Am I correct or do you have another suggestion? Thank you :) Cassie

10. Stef March 30, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Cassie – It is really light and quite delicious. I’ve never made banana cream pie, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Interesting choice from a 4 year old!

11. RL September 22, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Hi there,

Am wondering if there is a need to add lemon juice to prevent the banana from ‘turning black?’
    Or it’ll be ok in the whipped cream?
    Thank you!

12. Stef September 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

RL – I did not have a problem with it turning black.

13. Jay F March 24, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Wondering if there is any substitution for the Cacao nibs, I haven’t been able to find them by me even at Wegmons and Whole Foods. I read on another site that semi-sweet morsels can be used as a substitute but that didn’t sound like it would work logistically. Any thoughts?

• Stef April 3, 2012 at 3:45 am #

You could always use mini chocolate chips.

1. Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat! | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] frosted these cupcake with banana whipped cream with cacao nibs. But an advantage of such a plain cake is that you can top it with whatever flavor frosting you [...]

2. Recipe: Banana Whipped Cream with Cacao Nibs | Organic Odes - March 28, 2014

[...] Read more at http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/banana-whipped-cream-with-cacao-nibs.html#d3pvYmUS3sChE9j [...]

3. Recipe: Roasted Banana Cinnamon Rolls | Organic Odes - April 4, 2014