Third Time’s a Charm | Cupcake Project

Third Time’s a Charm

Regular readers already know the story of my blog. I started this blog because having never baked a cupcake in my life, I offered to bake cupcakes for my friends’ wedding. The “project” part of Cupcake Project was mastering the cupcake in the nine months leading up to the big day. I loved doing it and got so hooked on cupcake baking that after Bride and Groom 1.0 got married, I offered to do the whole thing over again for another couple. Bride and Groom 2.0 got married on Oct. 12, 2008.

For the past year, Cupcake Project has been without a project. That’s about to change.

Meet Ron and Leslie (hereafter known as Bride and Groom 3.0)

Groom 3.0 is Jonathan’s (my husband and live-in photographer) third cousin. I can’t believe that he knows his third cousin. Not only does he know him, but they actually talk on a regular basis. We love Bride 3.0 and couldn’t be happier with Groom 3.0′s choice! Jonathan took photos of their proposal at the Lewis and Clark marathon. Check out the joy on their faces and you’ll understand why I am so excited to make cupcakes for this wonderful couple.

They do not have a wedding date picked yet, but it will be this coming Spring or Summer. I’ll let you know when I know!

As I’ve done for past couples, Bride and Groom 3.0 will be trying cupcakes each week and choosing two or three flavors that they would like me to bake for the wedding (for a total of 300 cupcakes!). I’ll keep you up to date on their favorites and give you the play-by-play when the big day comes!

What Kind of Cupcakes Do Bride and Groom 3.0 Enjoy?

It’s important for me to understand what types of flavors the couple likes so that I can start experimenting. Bride and Groom 3.0 left it WIDE open.

What they don’t like:

• Like Bride and Groom 1.0, they don’t want nuts.
  • Bride 3.0 is not a big frosting fan. I’m not either, so I’m cool with that. It will be a fun challenge to find frosting that she likes.
  • Groom 3.0 doesn’t love chocolate (I can’t imagine that!), coconut (that always seems to be a love it or hate it thing), or whipped cream.

Here’s the list of things (in their own words) that they said they like. I’ve put my responses to them (and snarky comments) in orange. If I’ve made a flavor before, I’ve linked to it.

• Butterscotch
  • PB (but I think you don’t dig) – It’s true. Sorry, peanut butter is off limits.
  • Vanilla – Boring! But, I do really need to master a perfect plane-Jane vanilla cupcake, so I may experiment.
  • Cinnamon
  • Any berryBerries look really pretty on cupcakes. That would be a nice wedding choice.
  • Orange chocolate (Ron might not like as much) – I love those orange milano cookies, but I haven’t made an orange chocolate cupcake. One of my very first cupcakes was a tangerine chocolate cupcake, but the frosting was a nasty, runny mess.
  • Red velvet – I’ve never made it. I think it’s too overdone and frankly I don’t get the appeal. Sorry, but I’m probably not going to make this one unless you really beg.
  • Bourbon – One of the cupcakes that I created for Paula Deen contains bourbon, but the recipe hasn’t gone live yet. You’ll see it soon!
  • Margarita - You may recall that Bride and Groom 1.0 had margarita cupcakes at their wedding. I love these and they look super cute when I make them with little umbrellas. I’d be happy to make them again.
  • Mango, exotic fruits – I was surprised (when searching through my archives) to find that I had made four recipes that involved mango. None of them were all that great, although the mango frosting was quite tasty and refreshing.
  • Brown sugar – I love how you listed brown sugar as a flavor! Brown sugar rocks! I use it all the time! I think that you would really like my penuche frosting – make sure that I let you try it.
  • Pumpkin - Pumpkin is the very first flavor that you will be taste testing.
  • Most fruits, apples, peachesIt cracks me up how most fruits are listed separately from exotic fruits and berries. Clearly, you like fruit.
  • Root beerThis was another flavor that Bride and Groom 1.0 chose. It’s a winner.
  • Chai - Chai cupcakes were the very first cupcakes that I made. I don’t remember much about them, but I do recall that they were a hit, despite how ugly they looked.
  • Flourless chocolateI’ve got this recipe down. They are a crowd favorite!
  • HoneyI use honey all of the time. However, I’ve never made a honey cupcake.
  • Apple caramel – Oh look, another fruit! Look for this one soon on Paula Deen.
  • Well I am sure we will like a lot of things you come up with. Please experiment as usual and come up with your own ideas too. I am sure we don’t even realize the potential of flavors. – Excellent! I’m sure that you will enjoy the garlic cupcakes that I’ll be making soon (I do not jest).

6 Responses to Third Time’s a Charm

1. Laura October 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

I will have to try the Jell-o containing cupcake frosting and review it on [http://www.cupcake-forum.com]Cupcake Forum[/url]!

2. thereddeer October 8, 2009 at 3:00 am #

What fun! I would love to bake someone some wedding cupcakes – just need to know someone that is getting married…

3. La Petite Baker October 8, 2009 at 5:45 am #

Love your blog – I love baking too and it started put of the blue!!

4. Eliana October 8, 2009 at 5:48 am #

Can’t wait to see what you end up making for them.

5. Pinky October 8, 2009 at 6:33 am #

Aren’t weddings so much fun? After making my first full on cupcake tower last month, I was highly excited to volunteer to do another wedding in December. They haven’t decided for sure on cake or cupcakes (I’ve done a few cakes, and there are pros and cons to both), but I’ve already spent hours looking at decorating ideas and flavours!
    Best of luck with you’re future project! I’m sure a recipe or two I present to my bride and groom will be inspired by your blog :)

6. candysu October 8, 2009 at 6:33 am #

Totally didn’t realize how/why this blog started! I, also, made wedding cupcakes & loved it.

Saw this recipe yesterday & want to make it…. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/double_vanilla_cupcakes/

Could even make vanilla-brown sugar or vanilla-maple frosting… mmmmm

7. Liz October 8, 2009 at 8:26 am #

I just started reading a few months back, so I’m looking forward to seeing the 3.0 process from start to finish.

8. Jennywenny October 8, 2009 at 8:43 am #

Cool! I’d suggest trying a whipped chocolate ganache for someone who doesnt like frosting. 2 parts cream to 1 part chocolate and then any flavor you like(with caution, may not whip up as well)

9. Stef October 8, 2009 at 3:42 pm #

Laura – Sounds interesting.

Reddeer – I’m sure you could find a volunteer – even if you don’t know them.

La Petite – Thanks!

Eliana – Me too!

Pinky – Thanks! I’ll have to master the cake someday. There is no way I could make cakes for someone’s wedding at this point. I’m impressed!

Candysu – That’s so funny! I had actually already bookmarked that recipe to try.

Liz – Thanks for reading! Let me know if there is every anything you have questions about.

Jenny – Good call! I’ll definitely be doing some ganches (but, remember that Groom 3.0 is not a big chocolate fan).

10. Teresa October 9, 2009 at 10:29 am #

Yay for 3.0!!!

I ran the half and heard about the proposal but hadn’t seen pictures or heard the details. I am so glad you shared this!!

11. Niki October 14, 2009 at 3:51 am #

You should totally try Red Velvet! I love that cake!

12. kamailesfood October 23, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

Yay for Bride & Groom 3.0. I was wondering when you would do another wedding.

13. The Pants March 3, 2010 at 10:22 am #

Oh my, I think I am in love. Your blog is amazing! I came across your peaches and cream cupcakes by complete accident and I’ve already “wasted” an hour of work by looking around your website. I can’t wait to try your recipes!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

14. Stef March 3, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

The Pants – Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Glad you are enjoying. Let me know what you end up making!

15. Rekha April 4, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Wow…such lovely cup cakes… nice to come across your blog… happy to follow you !!

1. Wedding 3.0 Chosen Ones | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] 3.0 (here’s the back story if you are new to the blog) happens in just over two weeks!!  I can’t believe it’s [...]

2. Peaches and Cream Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] Groom 3.0 requested more cupcakes with fruit. Dutifully listening to his request, I decided to give these seasonally-inappropriate peaches and cream cupcakes a go (with canned peaches) so that they could be in the running for Bride and Groom 3.0′s May wedding. The petite slice of peach perched on the rim of these cupcakes makes me happy. It’s so bright and cheery! Truly, I could skip the cupcake entirely and just eat a bowl of peaches -perhaps with some cottage cheese. But, this is a cupcake blog, so cupcakes it is – airy vanilla cupcakes with hints of peach, topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting accented with peach jam. [...]

3. Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] see in the video at the bottom of this post (if you are the video watching type) that Bride and Groom 3.0 found the mudslide cupcakes to be a bit dry. I say that if you have the cupcakes with a big bite of [...]

4. Pumpkin Graham Crackers | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] and added some orange sugar to the tiny ones (they were too small for me to give them good faces). Bride 3.0 said that she could “eat 100 of them!” But, she noted that they were a bit Halloweeny [...]

5. The Ultimate St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - September 11, 2013

[...] food coloring (with the rare exception of people who use beets for the red color). However, since Bride and Groom 3.0 requested red velvet as a possible wedding flavor, I decided to break down and try the elusive [...]