How to Host a Cupcake Party | Cupcake Project

How to Host a Cupcake Party

Rather than spending lots of time creating wow-worthy cupcakes to serve at your next party, consider letting your guests do the decorating. Serving your cupcakes unfrosted is not only a ton less work for you, but your guests will love getting to decorate their own. You might also consider making mini-sized cupcakes so that people can decorate and eat several cupcakes without feeling too guilty.

To host a cupcake party, you’ll need:

1. Cupcakes (to make it really easy on yourself, you can make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes using the same recipe).
  2. A cupcake stand. I was recently sent a cupcake stacker stand to review and I love it – more on that later.
  3. Frosting (as many kinds as you feel like).
  4. Toppings (sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.)

Taste & Create

It’s been a few months, but I am again participating in Taste & Create. Taste & Create is a food blogger event where you get randomly matched with another food blogger to try out their recipes and ideas. I got the idea for the cupcake party from my partner this month, Katie at One Little Corner of the World. Coincidentally, Katie lives in St. Louis and I met her at a FoodBuzz dinner.

Katie posted about a fabulous taco bar party that she hosted and I decided to take the same concept and use it with cupcakes. I hope she doesn’t mind that I didn’t use one of her exact recipes – I took the “Create” part of Taste & Create very seriously. I did make sour cream frosting (shown in the center of the photo above) to keep with the spirit of her meal.

In addition to the sour cream frosting, my cupcake party featured two kinds of sprinkles, chocolate chips, and Skor chips (toffee chips).

Cupcake Stacker

I’ve never seen anything like these cupcake stackers before. They are essentially the legos of the cupcake world. You can connect the stackers together in whatever configuration you like, creating a custom cupcake stand.

The great thing about them is that when it’s time to eat the cupcakes, people simply remove a cupcake stacker from the pyramid. The single cupcake stacker can then act as a little cupcake bowl to contain crumbs while people are eating.

Of course, you don’t have to just use the cupcake stacker for cupcakes. You could use them for condiments, snacks, or candy.

Coming Next

I’m super excited to be posting Bride and Groom 3.0′s video cupcake review of their cupcake party. Plus, you’ll have a chance to win some cupcake stackers of your own. Stay tuned!

23 Responses to How to Host a Cupcake Party

1. Mrs. G October 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

Timely post! I invited friends over to decorate cupcakes in a couple of weeks.

2. Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 1:59 am #

Great idea! I’m off to share the new idea.

3. Little Miss Cupcake October 23, 2009 at 2:44 am #

Love your cute cupcake stackers!

4. EAT! October 23, 2009 at 3:20 am #

Great idea! Even adults will love this party. I am off to check out the cupcake stand.

5. Jennifer October 23, 2009 at 4:15 am #

I had a “Cupcakes and Christmas” party last year and it was a huge success. I am actually in the process of planning another party very soon. And I LOVE the cupcake stackers. I clicked on the link and they are currently unavailable…so sad!

6. Amanda October 23, 2009 at 5:58 am #

Those stackers are adorable! I would spend upwards of an hour just trying to get the perfect arrangement. :)

7. Nancy October 23, 2009 at 6:18 am #

The cupcake stackers are available at Dierbergs West Oak store, by the ice cream aisle. They’re $3.99(I think)for three of the same color; come in multiple colors.

8. Stef October 23, 2009 at 6:58 am #

Jennifer – You can buy them at http://www.gourmac.com/custset.html

9. Patrice October 23, 2009 at 8:11 am #

What a fun idea! I love the cupcake stacker, I might just have to buy those!

10. Michelle October 23, 2009 at 8:33 am #

Those cupcake stackers are nifty. Wow! wish I had thought of them!Thanks for sharing amazing idea’s.

11. Melody October 23, 2009 at 8:38 am #

I think that is such a cute idea – i am helping to plan an engagement party in a couple of weeks, maybe I can talk the gal who is charge of deserts into doing something like this! If not, I am instantly compelled to throw a party just to set these out!

12. SLY October 23, 2009 at 11:21 am #

Oh this idea is too too cute. Now I want to host a cupcake party!

13. Stef October 23, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

I fixed the link in the post so it now goes to somewhere where the stackers are available.

14. Shannon October 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

So I love this idea. I remember this kind of thing from spring festivals and winter wonderland events where the little kids decorate cookies and cupcakes, but I think this would be fun for teenage girls like me. I love to bake, but my friends think its for the amish but I think this could be really fun with a group of 5-10 girls. I think I’m going to see if I can get some people willing to do this. Gossip and cupcakes? Its perfect to me.

15. Katie's blog October 25, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

What a cute idea! I wish I had your imagination!

16. Nachiketa November 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

This is WONDERFULLLLL….

Totally Cute…..

Would love to do this with kids.

Being added to ‘List’…. :-)

17. Betty November 9, 2009 at 6:24 pm #

what a great idea, thanks :)

18. Danielle January 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I did something like this! It was a ton of fun. I asked everyone to bring a topping they wanted to try. I baked 3 bases, chocolate, spice and lemon, and made two frostings: chocolate and buttercream. Since it was girls only and the guys at home felt left out, I got cupcake gift boxes and everyone took home 4 cupcakes — either ones they decorated or swapped with others. Some people brought pictures of stuff they wanted to try, and I connected my laptop to the TV and played the Flickr cupcake image pool as a slideshow for more inspiration. Since there were some kids and a few rugs, I got the squeeze tubes of a few popular colors and handled any color mixing myself in the kitchen.

19. Ashley @ FROSTEDChic June 28, 2012 at 11:35 am #

LOVE the stackers! Very nice idea!

20. Andrea Rouda March 1, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Have you heard about the obesity epidemic, and the fact that people are now dying younger, and kids are getting diabetes by age 10? This is the sort of thing that causes it.

21. Green Web Hosting July 1, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is
    simply spectacular and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

1. 3 Unique Ways to Get Fancy with Cupcakes | - June 9, 2013

[...] cupcakeproject.com via Tabitha Philen (Meet Penny) on [...]

2. Cupcake Party Invitation Wording: 5 Sweet Samples - September 22, 2013

[...] little sweet treats. Not only do cupcakes make a great snack, this also a wonderful theme for a party! This theme is perfect for any girl, be it a birthday, christening or even a baby shower. Get the [...]