High Tea Cupcakes – Orange Cranberry Scones Baked in Teacups | Cupcake Project

High Tea Cupcakes – Orange Cranberry Scones Baked in Teacups

These high tea cupcakes are really scones, but since I literally baked them in a cup, I decided it was legit to call them cupcakes. It’s my blog, so I can do what I want.

I love that scones aren’t quite as sweet as most cakes. I used to think that they were less caloric than other baked goods, but I was deceived. They are loaded with butter and cream and worth every single calorie you’ll get from them!

These high tea cupcakes are made with dried cranberries and flavored with a hint of orange, but you could just as easily make them with chocolate chips, raisins, or currants. For extra pizazz, they can be topped with some jam and clotted cream.

If you don’t have oven-safe teacups, you can bake the same recipe as scones (by putting balls of dough directly onto an oiled cookie sheet) or as traditional cupcakes (in cupcake tins) as shown above.

Either way, they are sure to disappear!

High Tea Cupcake Recipe

I got the recipe for these high tea cupcakes from Barefoot Contessa. I modified her scone recipe to bake in teacups. I also added some orange extract to kick up the orange flavor a bit and decreased the amount of salt (I’m not a big salt fan). Below is my modified version of her recipe.

High Tea Cupcakes – Orange Cranberry Scones Baked in Teacups

Yield: The number of cupcakes you get depends on the size of your teacups. I only had six tea cups so I made 6 teacups and 16 normal cupcakes.

High Tea Cupcakes – Orange Cranberry Scones Baked in Teacups

• 4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 2 T baking powder
  • 1 t kosher salt
  • 1 T grated orange zest
  • 3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 C cold heavy cream
  • 1/4 t orange extract
  • 1 C dried cranberries

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
  2. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, and orange extract.
  4. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the wet mixture into the flour and butter mixture.
  5. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy!
  6. Mix the cranberries into the batter.
  7. Using your hands (it's more fun this way), make balls of dough that will fill your teacups about 3/4 full. (Make sure the teacups are oven safe!)
  8. Drop the balls of dough in the cups.
  9. Place cups on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned.

Special Thanks

Special thanks to Lori and Rob for loaning me the teacups (don’t tell … they are actually espresso cups, but close enough).

High Tea Treats

I’m excited to enter these cupcakes in Meeta’s Monthly Mingle. The theme this month is High Tea Treats.

22 Responses to High Tea Cupcakes – Orange Cranberry Scones Baked in Teacups

1. Annick October 2, 2009 at 2:27 am #

i love cupcake…..

2. Eliana October 2, 2009 at 12:02 pm #

Scones are my new favorite breakfast treat. These look delicious.

3. Kazul October 2, 2009 at 11:32 pm #

your cupcakes in the orange is an old scout trick..we made those during a cub scout daycamp and they are YUMMY! I had not thought of doing them over a grill, though. I also am going to try these yummy sounding/looking scone cakes. clever and cute!

4. Nadine October 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

I love this idea!! I make scones a lot but never thought of putting them in teacups! What an adorable presentation!!

5. Aparna October 4, 2009 at 7:54 am #

What an unusual and wonderful idea.
    I just need to find small enough cups for this. :)

6. thereddeer October 4, 2009 at 11:01 pm #

What a lovely and incredibly cute idea :D

7. Ivy October 5, 2009 at 7:27 am #

Super, super adorable!

8. Fiber October 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

How cute are these??? Great idea!

9. delightfullysweet October 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm #

Scones are my new favorite and the cups are adorable!
    Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

Great blog!

10. Cupcake Forum October 14, 2009 at 9:33 am #

Ooh, this post reminds me of having tea and scones at The Orangery on the grounds of Kensington Palace. (They weren’t baked in teacups though!)

11. Claire October 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

These look AMAZING. I love scones and cream and jam.

Couldn’t help but mention, though, that your posts about ‘high tea’ seem to be more in the way of being about ‘afternoon tea’. High tea is a working-class meal that used to be served when labourers got in from the fields/factory and includes pies, cold cuts of meats, cheeses, sandwiches (not the delicate cucumber kind), pasties and so on. It’s definitely not a fancy china and grand hotel kinda affair! Whereas afternoon tea is the aristocratic/high society thing, with cute cakes and scones, sandwiches without crusts, and paper doilies.

• jude January 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Love your website. But please, please, please stop calling afternoon tea “high tea.” You seem to share the impression, as do many Americans, that high tea is a fancy, upscale repast. It is exactly the opposite – high tea is a working class meal, generally eaten at what Americans would call dinner time, that consists of meat, veg, potatoes – but NOT scones or little sandwiches or clotted cream or dainty cakes.
      Please! It’s “afternoon tea” or (if scones with jam and clotted cream) a “cream tea”, but never never never high tea. Let’s not give the Brits another reason to laugh at us Americans. Thanks.

12. Stef October 29, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

Claire – Thanks for the lesson!

13. Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I am so glad to see your scones are ROUND. It really bugs me that here in the States they always sell them in triangles. LOL. So glad to see your clotted cream recipe. I want to make it so my girls will know what I have been talking about all this time.

14. Gina July 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Where can I find the brown cupcake liner/wrapper you used?

15. Samar August 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I just wanted to say that love this site! I’m so glad that I found it. Orange and Cranberry muffins have been my absolute favourite since I moved to the north of England about 11 years ago. I used to buy them at the local bakery but for some reason they stopped selling them. I don’t know why they were just sooo delicious. Now I’ll have a go making them myself. :)

• Stef September 3, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

Thanks! I love pretty much anything with a touch of orange!

16. rhoda seidler March 9, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

These are interesting recipes, but not scones, which are more like our baking powder biscuits only richer and more delicious, and, of course, they are always round. They are the perfect foil for clotted cream and strawberry jam.

1. Fall’s Best Scone Recipe – Scones Studded with Pumpkin Pie Spice Chips | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] in 2009, I baked Ina Garten’s scone recipe in cupcake form and in little tea cups.  Have a look!  If you prefer, you could bake these pumpkin pie spice chip scones as cupcakes as well following [...]

2. HIGH TEA CUPCAKES – ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES BAKED IN TEACUPS « The Cupcake Blog - May 21, 2014

[...] Here’s how to enjoy a cuppa even if you don’t really do high tea. And since you might not really be in Britain, it’s probably all right to admit these delicacies are not really cupcakes, but in fact highly comestible scones. Orange cranberry scones baked in tea cups to be precise. Made with dried cranberries and flavored with a hint of orange (or chocolate chips, raisins or currants) they are worth every calorie gained from them. Source Cupcake Project [...]

3. HIGH TEA CUPCAKES – ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES BAKED IN TEACUPS — Cupcake Pictures - May 21, 2014

4. HIGH TEA CUPCAKES – ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES BAKED IN TEACUPS | The art of cupcake - May 22, 2014