Monkey Bread Cupcakes with Banana and Chocolate | Cupcake Project

Monkey Bread Cupcakes with Banana and Chocolate

Monkey bread is balls of yeasty bread dipped in butter, cinnamon, and sugar. There isn’t much that could make a monkey bread recipe better except the one thing that monkeys are known to love – bananas! And – if I were going to put bananas into a monkey bread recipe, why not throw in some chocolate, too?!

Since I haven’t posted in a month, I wanted to come back with a recipe that was worth the wait. This monkey bread recipe is definitely it! Serve these monkey bread cupcakes with brunch (or on their own as brunch), as dessert, as a snack, or any time that you want to see someone’s face light up.

Now, about that not posting for a month. I haven’t just been monkeying around. On August 17th, I gave birth to our little monkey.

Meet Myles:

Jonathan and I tried to pose Myles with a cupcake, but he wasn’t quite up for it yet. The best we could do was pose him in his monkey onesie. Myles likes to hang out in my Moby wrap while I’m working in the kitchen. He mostly sleeps, but some day he’ll be my cupcake helper (even if it’s just eating them).

Special Thanks to Scharffen Berger

For the chocolate portion of this monkey bread recipe, I used Scharffen Berger baking chunks. Scharffen Berger offered to send me some chocolate to try. I expected to get some of their chocolate bars (which I have tried before and have found to be fantastic to bake with or simply to eat). To my surprise, in addition to the bars, they sent along some baking chunks. I had never seen this product before, but I was really excited about it. They are a great alternative to chocolate chips. Not only are they of higher quality than most chocolate chips that you will encounter, but sometimes a chunk is just more fun than a chip. Thanks, Scharffen Berger, for the sample!

Monkey Bread Cupcake Recipe

I came up with my monkey bread cupcake recipe by modifying the King Arthur Flour monkey bread recipe. I changed it from a cake to cupcakes, dipped the batter in butter instead of water (more calories, but more yum), and added the banana and chocolate. Also, I gave my cupcakes a cinnamon glaze. Here is the modified recipe:

Makes 12 cupcakes

• 1/2 C lukewarm water
  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 T sugar
  • 2 T instant yeast or rapid rise yeast
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C granulated sugar
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1 ripe banana, cut into small slices
  • chocolate chips or baking chunks to taste (about 2 oz)
  • 2 T unsalted butter, melted
  1. Place water, vegetable oil, egg, salt, sugar, and yeast in a medium bowl and mix well.
  2. Add 1 cup of the flour, stirring to blend.
  3. Add the second cup of flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough.
  4. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes; this gives the flour a chance to absorb the liquid, making it easier to knead.
  5. Knead the dough — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until it’s soft and smooth.
  6. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup, cover it, and let the dough rise for 30 to 60 minutes or until it’s doubled in size.
  7. Gently deflate the dough.
  8. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
  9. Place cupcake liners into a cupcake tin and lightly grease them with butter or cooking spray.
  10. Pull off a small piece of dough. How small? You should get 24 pieces out of the batter so that you can have two pieces in each cupcake. However, unless you are having a dinner party for exactly 12 people, it doesn’t really matter and you can make the pieces whatever size you would like.
  11. Stretch the piece out, put a banana slice and several chocolate chips or baking chunks inside, and then roll it into a ball.

1. Dip the ball in the melted butter.

1. Dip the ball in the cinnamon and sugar.

1. Put the ball into the cupcake liner. You should be able to fit two balls into each cupcake liner.
  2. Cover the cupcake tin and let the bread rise for 30 to 60 minutes, until it’s visibly puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350 F.
  3. Uncover the cupcake tin and bake the monkey bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it’s golden brown and feels set.
  4. While the monkey bread is baking, prepare the glaze.

Cinnamon Glaze Recipe

• 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 T milk
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  1. Mix all of the ingredients together.
  2. Drizzle over the hot cupcakes.
  3. The cupcakes are best served warm. If you can’t eat them immediately, reheat them in microwave for about 15 seconds before serving.

Cupcake Hero Banana

Cupcake Hero was one of the first blog events that I ever entered. After a long hiatus, it is back, and it’s now hosted my one of my fav cupcake bloggers, I Heart Cuppycakes. This month’s theme is banana, and these monkey bread cupcakes with banana and chocolate are my entry! I’m looking forward to seeing all of the other entries, but I hope that I’m top banana.

3 Responses to Monkey Bread Cupcakes with Banana and Chocolate

1. Nicole September 11, 2009 at 7:39 pm #

This sound wonderful and I am glad that you are back!

2. Katrina September 11, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

Congrats on the babe–he’s so cute!
    And YUMMMM to the cupcakes. I love all things banana and add chocolate, too, I’m there! ;)

3. jociandi September 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm #

Congrats on your baby boy! He is already very manish. :)

4. Christina September 12, 2009 at 4:23 am #

The cupcakes return! I’m so excited! Plus, I’m pretty sure I made that monkey onesie.

Welcome back, Stef!

5. Nupur September 12, 2009 at 4:54 am #

Congratulations, Stef and Jonathan! Myles is adorable :)

6. Eliana September 12, 2009 at 6:01 am #

Congrats to u and your husband on your beautiful bundle of joy

7. CB September 12, 2009 at 6:49 am #

Omg. Monkey bread+cupcakes=genius! I’m so starring this one to make someday. Congrats on your new little monkey too. He’s just so precious. I’m a sucker for baby feet. :)
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

8. Todd Jordan - tojosan September 12, 2009 at 6:54 am #

Lovely post. So good you’re back. Baby and cupcake are both yummy looking. What frosting is best with babies? ;)

9. Little Miss Cupcake September 12, 2009 at 7:01 am #

These look and sound delish! Congrats – Myles is adorable!

10. CB September 12, 2009 at 7:45 am #

Ok obviously I stopped at the droolworthy picture before the recipe b/c I totally missed the Cupcake Hero shout out! HA! Thanks for participating in Cupcake Hero::September!
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

11. Kimberly September 12, 2009 at 8:38 am #

These cupcakes look amazing, Stef … welcome back to the blog-o-sphere!

I can’t wait to meet Myles … got a free night soon?

12. Catherine September 12, 2009 at 8:42 am #

you little myles monkey is adorable!

cheers!!!!

13. slightlyawkward September 12, 2009 at 10:13 am #

Congrats!! Myles is of course incredibly adorable! I just love the little smirk on his face. :)

I love monkey bread (who doesn’t?), so I’ll definitely be trying this out! The addition of bananas and chocolate is just so fun.

14. Lysy September 12, 2009 at 11:06 am #

Congrats, Stef!!! Myles looks adorable, and the cupcakes sound pretty yummy too!

15. Amanda September 12, 2009 at 11:19 am #

I’m just going to repeat everything everyone else has already said, but…

1. I’m glad you posted again!

2. The cupcake sounds great. Sneaking the banana and chocolate in the bread balls is a great trick.

3. Myles is sooo cute! He looks like such a little character for not even being one month old. Uh-dorable.

16. Ivy September 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

He’s just too cute Stef!
    So happy for you!!!

I love monkey bread too but you’re new little one stole the show on this post. :)

17. caronae September 12, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

Beautiful cupcakes and a beautiful baby! Congrats!

18. Liyana September 13, 2009 at 12:01 am #

Adorable! I think I’m going to try it for Hari Raya.

19. Liyana September 13, 2009 at 12:02 am #

Oh, and congrats on Baby Myles! He’s absolutely cute!

20. Card-Carrying Brickhugger September 13, 2009 at 7:55 am #

How banana-ish are the cupcakes? Is it banana paste, or are we talking chunks o’ banana?

Myles lookin cute as always.

21. stephanie September 13, 2009 at 11:36 am #

Love the recipe! I made it yesterday and they were delish!

22. Jamie September 13, 2009 at 6:54 pm #

Congrats on the baby – he’s adorable! I’m so glad you’re back! These cupcakes look awesome too!

23. Kendall A. September 14, 2009 at 4:34 am #

What a cute little peanut! Welcome back and congratulations!

24. stephchows September 14, 2009 at 6:57 am #

OH wow! What a great idea for this months cupcake hero!! Delicious!!

25. Bryna September 14, 2009 at 7:33 am #

SO making these! They sound delightful!

26. Chele September 14, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Welcome back – so pleased you’ve returned to us, especially with a recipe like this! Congratulations on the wee man.

Welcome to the world Myles.

27. Stef September 14, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Myles thanks all of you for your welcome to the world wishes!!

I thank all of you for your welcome back wishes. Your comments, as always, mean so much to me. It’s the reason why I blog.

Stephanie – I’m so excited that you made them already and that you liked them!

Card-Carrying – They can be as bananay as you want them to be. I had a chunk of banana in each piece, but you could put more than one chunk or mashed bananas if you prefer.

28. GillianIvy September 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm #

Wow, big congratulations! Very cute lil’ guy, he’ll be eating and enjoying your cupcakes, the lucky guy!

These sound delicious. A must try. Thanks!

29. Anonymous September 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm #

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy! Best wishes for New Mom, New Dad, and New Baby all doing well :-)
    –Kathi in Indy

30. CupKate September 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

MM MMMM MMM WOW! Chocolate and banana is the best combination :D !

31. mrsofficer September 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Oh my I think I NEED to make these lol

32. Lindsey@pickyeatings September 15, 2009 at 5:55 am #

Your son is adorable! And those baking chunks…they have the power to rock my world!

33. Jamie September 15, 2009 at 10:57 am #

Congratulations on your little one!

I made these this afternoon and they are fantastic! Thanks for the recipe.

34. Kimberly September 15, 2009 at 1:10 pm #

What a sweetie he is! Good to “see” you blogging again!

35. Vicki Bensinger September 16, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy. Myles is adorable. Baking cupcakes will have a whole new meaning now.

36. vincent September 17, 2009 at 9:31 am #

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

37. Xiaolu September 18, 2009 at 6:46 am #

What an inspired idea! Great entry and congrats!

38. Megan September 18, 2009 at 7:20 am #

First, congratulations!! Second, those cupcakes look to die for! And third, I use Scharffen Berger chocolate all the time and have never seen chocolate chunks. I end up cutting the bars into chunks. Those would make life so much easier!

39. Kristen September 18, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Aww, he’s adorable! Congratulations! :D

40. Totallyscrappy September 20, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Congratulations on your own lil’ cupcake!

41. delightfullysweet September 22, 2009 at 3:07 am #

Congrats!
    Both are soooo cute!

42. Karen September 24, 2009 at 4:53 am #

Stef, huge congrats on your new little monkey. He looks like a sweetie! Hope things are going well and you’re not too sleepy these days.

I’ll have to look for those baking chunks. I love Sberger chocolate, but I’m often too lazy to chop up bars.

43. michelle September 25, 2009 at 5:38 am #

congratulations on your little boy! he looks like one of those wise babies, i love wise babies!

this recipe looks exciting, i usually shy away from anything that includes yeast expertise, but i think im going to have to take the plunge! we dont have monkey bread in australia, or really know what it is, so im looking forward to educating the people!

44. Jill September 28, 2009 at 3:57 am #

Myles is so adorable- i love the monkey onesie!

I made these cupcakes last night and they are SO good. I had enough dough to make 12 mini cupcakes with one ball each as well as 12 regualar. So yummy!

Thanks for the awesome recipe Stef.

45. Katie's blog October 12, 2009 at 4:23 am #

Wow!! I haven’t seen you in quite a while, but boy, have you been busy! Congratulations!!!! He is adorable

46. the ungourmet October 12, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

How sweet! Congratulations! :0)

47. Yined October 23, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Hi Stef,

Congratulations on your baby! He looks yummy!
    You may not see this comment after more than a month, but I’ve prepared this at home twice now and my monkeys loved them. The only BUT is that they’re time cosumming. Is there anything I can do ahead of time? Thanks!

48. Stef October 23, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

Yined – Glad they were such a hit! I haven’t tired it with this recipe, but you should be able to get them all shaped and ready to go and then store in the fridge or freezer. When you take them out, let them rise again before baking.

49. Click Here for more February 12, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

My brother suggested I may like this blog.
    He used to be totally right. This put up truly made my day.
    You cann’t consider just how much time I had
    spent for this information! Thank you!

1. Nutella Banana Pull-Apart Bread | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] my chocolate banana monkey bread. [...]

2. Monkey Bread Cupcakes with Banana and Chocolate | The art of cupcake - May 21, 2013

[...] Monkey bread is sticky, gooey, covers in cinnamon and sugar and just plain tasty. These monkey bread cupcakes take that idea and spin it a bit. The dough is rolled into a ball around some banana slices and chocolate bits, before dunked in melted butter and cinnamon and sugar. Each ball then goes into a cupcake liner (although it’s more fun to squeeze two into one liner to evoke the real thing) and baked before being coated in a sugar-y, cinnamon-y glaze. Source Cupcake Project [...]