Waffle Cone Recipe | Cupcake Project

Waffle Cone Recipe

mini ice cream cones

I’ve been wanting to try out a waffle cone recipe for quite a while. The only problem was that I couldn’t make a waffle cone recipe without a waffle cone maker. Lucky for me – Chef’s Choice sent me a Petite Cone Express waffle cone maker to try out!

Rather than making one big cone, it makes three little ones. You know that I like things mini, so this waffle cone maker was perfect for me!

The waffle cone recipe that comes with the maker tells you to use the Chef’s Choice waffle cone mix, but since I am a from-scratch kinda gal, I decided to go a different route.

I used a waffle cone recipe by Gale Gand that I found on the Food Network. In the comments on that recipe, some readers complained that the dough was too cookie-like. But, if you think about it, a good waffle cone is essentially a crisp sugar cookie. I found that Gale’s recipe was ideal for making fresh, crunchy, sweet waffle cones. The recipe contains cinnamon and nutmeg, which gives the cones a slightly different flavor than the ones you get in your local ice cream shop. I liked the spices, but if you don’t, you can always leave them out.

I’ve reprinted the waffle cone recipe below, along with step-by-step instructions for making the cones in the Chef’s Choice PetiteCone Express (obviously, the recipe would work in any waffle cone maker). I didn’t count how many waffle cones it made, but you can look at the pictures at the top and bottom of this post to get an idea. It made a lot!

• 1 C heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 t ground cinnamon
  • Pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 T cornstarch

In a bowl with a whisk, whip the cream with the vanilla until mousse-like (it won’t form peaks).

Sift the remaining ingredients together and stir them into the cream to make a batter.

Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Heat up the waffle cone iron. I used heat setting 2.5.

You’ll know that it is ready to go because the light turns green.

Grease the top and bottom of the waffle iron. I used a non-stick spray.

Put a dollop of batter onto each of the three waffle molds. The waffle maker comes with a spoon to scoop the batter with so you know exactly how much batter to use. If you use too much, the three waffles will stick together. If you use too little, the waffles will be hard to roll. Tip: The first time that you do it, I would highly recommend doing only one at a time. That way, you can make sure that you’ve got the technique down without wasting any batter.

Close the lid.

The light will turn red. When it turns green again, it’s time to roll your waffle.

The waffle maker comes with a cone shaped mold to roll the waffle around. Here are a couple of rolling tips:

1. Work fast. The waffles harden super quickly.
  2. Protect your hands. The waffle will be really hot and you could burn yourself. You might want to use a towel or wear gloves to help you roll.
  3. As soon as the cone begins to overlap itself, press down firmly as you continue to roll to make it stick closed. It also helps to hold the waffle in the position shown in step four for a few seconds.
  4. Use your fingers to pinch together the hole at the bottom of the cone.
  5. If you are making three waffles at once, take them off the iron one at a time. Don’t take a waffle off of the iron until you are ready to mold it, otherwise the third waffle will be too hard to shape by the time you get to it.

Store the cooled waffle cones in a Ziploc bag until you are ready to fill them with ice cream or whatever else your mind dreams up. Mine are going in 4th of July cupcakes.

33 Responses to Waffle Cone Recipe

1. Pinky June 27, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

I’ve been lusting after a waffle cone maker ever since picking up a book on Sundae’s at Barnes and Noble. The batter is so much thicker than I had imagined!
    These look great, and I’m sure they’ll make the cutest little treats.

2. CB June 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm #

I know I already tweeted at you about this but… I.LOVE.THE.MINI.CONES! So stinkin’ cute. Can’t wait to see what you plan to do with them. YUM! This is going on my amazon wish list to get ready for next year’s ice cream+cupcake challenge!
    /Clara

3. Joy June 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

I never considered getting a waffle cone maker, until NOW. Darn it! Those are sooo adorable and I think the homemade cones will be a hit at any party–informal or formal alike. Evil…Amazon is just a click away. :p

4. Tina June 28, 2009 at 8:16 am #

OMG I want one. This is perfect for kids too!

5. Amy Green June 28, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

I love these little cones! They are adorable. I’ve been rolling around the homemade cone idea in my head…guess I’ve got some inspiration now.

6. 'Raine June 29, 2009 at 4:53 am #

I attempted waffle/ice cream cones for the first time this summer. I used a really simple fortune cookie type recipe, and experimented with 2 different cooking methods: baking and pan frying [like a pancake or crepe]. The baked cones were better for ice cream, but it was completely impossible to get more than 1 or 2 cones per sheet pan since they set so quickly. The pan ones had little air pockets all over, which made the ice cream seep through in some places, but tasted better in my opinion. Neither had the waffle texture though, so I’ve been on the lookout for an inexpensive waffle cone maker. I love the mini ones! Now at least I have a place to start looking :)

7. Ivy June 29, 2009 at 9:08 am #

Sooo cute!

8. Sarah June 29, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Hmm.. I have a pizzelle maker, would that do well with the batter and rolling, y’think? I mean, they can make cannoli shells with ‘em!

9. Stef June 29, 2009 at 6:34 pm #

Pinky – Yeah, I was also surprised at how thick it was.

CB – Awesome! You’ll love it!

Joy – I know! It’s such fun little gadget!

Tina – Yeah, it’s great for kids and portion control.

Amy – I’ve gotten so many ideas of cone projects. I want to make chocolate ones and maybe some savory ones.

Raine – Yeah, this one isn’t too pricy and it worked like a charm. You still can’t make more than 3 at once though and they will be tiny.

Ivy – Thanks!

Sarah – I think it would work well, but you’ll have to try it and let me know!

10. alicia June 29, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

those are so darn cute!! everything looks better mini! super cute cones!

11. Megan{Feasting on Art} June 29, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

What a cute idea!! I would love to have a scoop of ice cream in one of those!

12. justice July 17, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

This waffle cone recipe gives me a lot of delight and I fell in love with this recipe.

justice

————
    Free Satellite TV

13. www.MadeWithPink.com July 30, 2010 at 6:42 am #

Oooh, I’ve been dying for a waffle cone maker! There’s nothing better than the smell of freshly baked waffle cones. Very jealous, and the mini ones are super cute!

14. Kirbie July 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

*squeal* I didn’t even know there existed mini waffle cone makers!! Now I really want one….

15. Mike@ The Culinary Lens June 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

I found this because I noticed one of my biggest traffic sources was google searches for mini waffle cones. I used the same machine as you but my batter was much thinner. I had to make a lot of them (and I do mean a lot LOL)
    You know I figured out making savory cones with parmesan cheese. It really is a great little machine

16. Natalie November 16, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Do you still have that machine Stephanie? Any chance you’d rent it out to a fellow food blogger? It might come in handy for my Christmas gifts this year :)

17. Stef November 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Natalie – Sure! Just drop me an email and we can figure out a pick up time.

18. Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:33 am #

this looks awesome! iv been trying to find a simple ice cream cone recipe and this looks like it might be it! but i do have just one question, could you use regular milk in place of the heavy cream in this recipe? im trying to cut calories :P

19. Anonymous March 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

been looking for a recipe like this…in most other recipes, the batter is too runny & that makes for a big mess…..this sounds perfect for my little cone maker, I can hardly wait to try it…thyme & honey ice cream cones for dessert tonight!!!

20. Nickole July 19, 2012 at 3:05 am #

This looks so good, I’m making this for my anniversary

Utah Hair Salon

21. Anonymous October 17, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Did you know that a non-stick cooking spray can ruin a non-stick coating?
    I would stick to greasing or oiling.

These look very good! Now for the Ice Cream!

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

22. Anonymous November 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

Hi,
    just wondering if you could tell me what size the waffle comes out before being rolled up?
    i love this idea, thanks for sharing.
    Clare

• Stef November 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

It’s really small – just a couple of inches. I can measure if you need.

23. Jonathan February 1, 2013 at 7:57 am #

I saw the same recipe online that uses 3 cups of cream as opposed to your 1 cup of whip cream. I am wondering if one of these recipes is a misprint.

Thanks.

Jonathan

• Stef September 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

Great question. You know, I haven’t made these since 2009 and both of the comments about the recipe discrepancy are from this year. It makes me wonder if perhaps the other source updated their recipe. Look how thick my batter is – it sure doesn’t look like I used 3 cups of cream. But, I’ll have to try it again and see if I can figure it out.

24. Elisa August 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Isn’t the recipe supposed to have 3 cups of cream? Or do you prefer it this way?

• Stef September 3, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

1. Chocolate Wafers – Paper Thin and Totally Addictive | Cupcake Project - May 7, 2013

[...] If I had wanted to, I could have rolled the chocolate wafers up into little cones like I did with last year’s mini ice cream cones. [...]

2. 4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones | Cupcake Project - June 17, 2013

[...] designed to get you thinking rather than to provide you with any specific recipe. The key is the mini waffle cone deeply planted into the cupcake (do this right before serving to keep the cone from getting soggy), [...]

3. Ice Cream Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic - July 7, 2013

[...]   [...]

4. Our Ice Cream Brunch – Friends of a Feather - August 16, 2013

[...] based my recipe on one from Cupcake Project. But, as a rule, I always add 2x the amount of vanilla that any recipe calls for, because, well, [...]

5. Celebrate 9/22 - September 22, 2013

[...] http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/06/waffle-cone-recipe.html [...]

6. Homemade Dark Chocolate Fortune Cookies | Cupcake Project - February 12, 2014

[...] When I first got my mini ice cream cone maker, I fell in love with idea of making little cones. [...]