4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones | Cupcake Project

4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones

4th of July cupcakes need red, white, and blue. But, 4th of July cupcakes (at least in St. Louis) are typically served on a HOT day and will need to compete with anything cold. So this year, my 4th of July cupcakes have a built in ice cream cone with bright red strawberry sorbet! The white comes from the frosting (I could have made the cake white, but went for yellow – close enough) and the blue comes from the sprinkles (I could have also used blueberries if I had some on hand).

These 4th of July cupcakes are designed to get you thinking rather than to provide you with any specific recipe. The key is the mini waffle cone deeply planted into the cupcake (do this right before serving to keep the cone from getting soggy), but what you use for the cake, frosting, and ice cream flavor is up to you!

Here are some other 4th of July ideas, using the mini cone, to get you thinking:

• Blueberry cupcakes, vanilla buttercream frosting, and cherry ice cream.
  • Raspberry cupcakes, blueberry frosting, and vanilla ice cream.
  • Lemon cupcakes, blackberry frosting (blackberries look blue), and coconut sorbet.

Feel free to share your original ideas in the comments!

Yellow Cake Recipe

For the curious, I’m including the yellow cake recipe that I used. I got the recipe from my Twitter friend Cakes4RockStarz. Despite the thousands of cupcakes I have made, I very rarely make a plain yellow cake and wanted to find a really good recipe. Several Twitter friends helped out by offering their favorites. I have not had a chance to try them all yet, but this one was light, moist, and flavorful. I won’t go so far as to say it’s the perfect yellow cake – it was missing something, though it’s hard to put my very picky finger on what. So, I’m still on the hunt.

4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones

Yield: 16 cupcakes

4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones

Yellow Cake Cupcake Ingredients
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1 C sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 3 t vanilla bean paste (you could also use vanilla extract or the seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean)
  • 2 C flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 1/2 C water
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • Root Beer Whipped Cream Frosting* Ingredients
  • 1 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/2 t root beer extract

Yellow Cake Cupcake Instructions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In another bowl, mix water and apple cider vinegar.
  5. Mix in dry and wet ingredients alternatively to the butter/sugar mixture, ending with the dry.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
  8. Root Beer Whipped Cream Frosting Instructions
  9. Whip the whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  10. Mix in sugar and extract.

Notes

This recipe makes a root beer whipped cream frosting, but you can replace the root beer extract with any flavor you prefer.

Other 4th of July Cupcake Ideas

Check out my other 4th of July cupcake ideas.

21 Responses to 4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones

1. Courtney June 30, 2009 at 9:41 am #

I am going to beg Husband Pants to make these this weekend (because I am both lazy and ill-skilled in the kitchen). They look so YUMMY!!!

2. Little Miss Cupcake June 30, 2009 at 11:03 am #

These are excellent!

3. Ivy June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

Super Cute Idea!
    Root beer frosting sounds delish and your sorbet is so vibrant.

4. Amanda June 30, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

These are definitely cute. The cone in the cupcake looks very much like the Statue of Liberty’s torch to me, so what about a pretty blue aqua icing and a flaming yellow/orange sorbet? It’s not technically red, white, and blue but it could be fun. :)

Great idea!

5. veggievixen June 30, 2009 at 4:53 pm #

cupcakes and ice cream, what could be better?

6. Risa June 30, 2009 at 5:20 pm #

I don’t think these cupcakes could be any cuter!

7. Martha June 30, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

I love these! They remind me of the statue liberty too!

8. caronae July 1, 2009 at 5:14 am #

you’re so creative. I just might have to make a variation for the 4th of July…

9. Eliana July 1, 2009 at 7:49 am #

These look so festive and SUPER cute!

10. Jenniffer July 2, 2009 at 4:43 am #

What a cute idea! I may have to try that during my downtime over the the holiday weekend!

-Jenniffer

11. Mara July 4, 2009 at 7:00 am #

Those look so good. I love it.

12. Tina July 4, 2009 at 7:26 am #

Love em!!!!!! Where do you find the energy with baby on board!? Hope you’re feeling well.

13. Stef July 7, 2009 at 8:23 am #

I totally never considered the statue of liberty thing. Interesting!

Tina, it helps that I don’t have a full-time job.

14. Molly Jean July 7, 2009 at 3:20 pm #

Great idea! I did the good ol’ fashioned ice cream cone cupcakes for the 4th but these are awesome!

15. Kat July 9, 2009 at 6:46 am #

That is super awesome! I love it!

Kat
    The Musical Kitten

16. kamailesfood July 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

What a cute idea! Very festive.

17. justice July 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

Wonderful and colorful lovely cup cakes are made especially in the occasion of July 4th and the ice cream cones are looking very fantastic.

justice

————
    Free Satellite TV

1. Strawberry Sorbet That You Can’t Screw Up | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] BTW – I used the sorbet cones in 4th of July cupcakes! [...]

2. Waffle Cone Recipe | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] Store the cooled waffle cones in a Ziploc bag until you are ready to fill them with ice cream or whatever else your mind dreams up. Mine are going in 4th of July cupcakes. [...]

3. 100 Red, White and Blue Recipes | Recipe Girl - August 3, 2013

[...] Red, White and Blue Cupcakes by Homemade by Holman July 4th Fireworks Cupcakes by Kitchen Daily 4th of July Cupcakes w/ Built-in Ice Cream Cones by Cupcake [...]

4. 100 Red, White and Blue Recipes | Recipe Girl - August 3, 2013