Maple Ice Cream Recipe | Cupcake Project

Maple Ice Cream Recipe

This maple ice cream recipe might be just the thing to top some Mother’s Day brunch waffles. Why just have maple syrup when you can have maple ice cream?!

But, of course, my maple ice cream didn’t top waffles – it went in an ice cream cupcake.

Maple happens to be one of my favorite flavors – it’s right up there with honey. I must admit that I have even been known to put maple syrup on pasta. It’s really good on just about anything. The same applies to the maple ice cream. It could enhance just about any meal. Picture pork chops with maple ice cream on top. Yum! OK – maybe it’s just me.

Maple Ice Cream Recipe

I found the recipe for maple ice cream on Serious Eats. I am reprinting it below with my notes. The recipe requires an ice cream maker. I have a really cheap model that I borrowed and never returned from Groom 2.0 (it’s similar to this ice cream maker). It works quite well.

Maple Ice Cream Recipe

Yield: Makes about 1 quart

Maple Ice Cream Recipe

• 3/4 C pure grade A maple syrup (Do not use the fake stuff!)
  • 1 C whole milk
  • 2 C heavy cream
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 t maple extract (I just used 1/2 t because that seemed mapley enough.)

1. In a medium saucepan over moderately high heat, boil the maple syrup until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
  2. Lower the heat and stir in the milk, cream, and salt.
  3. Cook until just under a boil (you will see bubbles along the edges of the pot and steam rising from the surface).
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until lightened.
  6. Slowly add a few tablespoons (no more than 1/4 cup total) of the hot milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly.
  7. Add the yolks back to the rest of the milk, whisking constantly.
  8. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (if you run your finger across the spoon in a line it shouldn't drip; a candy thermometer will register 170°F). Be careful to not let it boil. (For me, this took just a couple of minutes.)
  9. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl.
  10. Add the maple extract. (At this point, you have maple custard. You may be tempted to eat it all before turning it into ice cream. I wouldn't blame you. It is crazy tasty!)
  11. Chill until very cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
  12. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Reminders

1. You have until the end of May to enter the Ice Cream Cupcake Roundup. You don’t have to make your own from-scratch ice cream – but it’s fun to do!
  2. You also have until the end of May to vote for my black bottom cupcakes with goat cheese in the Ile de France recipe contest – while this task doesn’t help you in anyway, I would be most grateful! Thanks!

17 Responses to Maple Ice Cream Recipe

1. Jodi May 7, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

oooh this looks yum!

2. Tina May 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

ooh I can’t wait! This looks good already!

3. Mermaid Sweets May 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm #

Yum, sounds great.

4. Britt May 8, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

I put maple syrup on everything too! Mmmmm!

5. How To Eat A Cupcake May 11, 2009 at 6:42 am #

Sometimes I like to use ice cream as a sort of dip for crispy, crunchy cookies (especially palmiers)… This would be SO perfect!

6. Grace May 11, 2009 at 9:02 am #

you know, i could really get behind some pork chops topped with maple ice cream–i think it’d be pretty tasty. then again, i douse my pancakes with so much maple syrup i practically need a spoon to eat them. mmm, pancakes with maple ice cream. yes, please. :)

7. Patricia May 18, 2009 at 10:12 am #

I really like maple too and this year I actually tapped my own trees and eneded up with about 3 quarts of really delicious maple syrup..it was fun and free!!

8. Kevin May 28, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

Maple ice cream is a great idea! Now that it is warming up it is the perfect time to make some.

9. Anonymous May 30, 2009 at 11:21 am #

Are you nuts? You should use Grade B maple syrup. Grade A is/was considered high quality because in the old days they were looking for sweetners that did not impart their own flavor to whatever you were baking. For devastatingly rich maple flavor, always go for Grade B.

10. Anonymous June 21, 2010 at 10:26 am #

making this right now, but trying to mix it up by infusing it with bacon flavor for a food recipe contest. crossing my fingers that it tastes good!

11. bakingbluefinger July 25, 2011 at 3:34 am #

Yum, I love maple syrup so this ice cream sounds divine. However, I can’t find maple extract here, could I simply use more maple syrup or sub for vanilla extract?

12. Stef July 25, 2011 at 11:06 am #

BakingBlueFinger – I recommend that you buy some maple extract online if you want a really strong maple flavor. You could certainly use vanilla extract, but it wouldn’t be as strong.

13. Anonymous October 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Nooooooooo! Never use maple extract mixed with real maple syrup! it will impart that fake maple flavor (yuck!). Ask anyone who grew up with real maple syrup (i did) and they will tell you that maple flavor is sweet and subtle. Using Grade B or Amber will yield a stronger flavor if desired (for fresh eating, grade A is more delicate and has no hint of bitterness that is sometimes present in grade B). By all means, stay away from the fake maple flavor! (where i come from – in Quebec- fake maple flavor is referred to as “telephone post syrup” ;-)

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

haaahhahahaha Agree here……do NOT put maple extract…… ! No one want’s Telephone pole syrup in there ice cream!!! I am in southern California…I started a Food swap here for people that’s still do canning and love to make homemade stuff. I miss home so much ( VICTORIAVILLE, QUEBEC) that this month , I am making maple ice cream for the swap so I can honor “le temps des sucres” . thank’s for sharing you’re output and honor the Real maple syrup :) hahahha -Isabelle Baril-Ortley

1. Gingersnap Cookies – Making Them Is a Snap! | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] treat.  Gingersnap cookies also are fabulous crushed.  Crushed gingersnap cookies can turn any ice cream or fresh fruit sorbet into something a bit more memorable.  When crushed, gingersnap cookies can [...]

2. Maple Cinnamon Peach Ice Cream Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] with baked peaches. The cupcakes were then cut in half to create a cupcake sandwich with homemade maple ice cream in the middle. The top half was frosted with peach whipped cream and then sprinkled with maple [...]

3. Cupcake Project's Ten Favorite Frosting recipes | Best Friends For Frosting - August 9, 2013

[...] Recipes. Surely you will find a frosting to suite your palate. For the young at heart, there is Ice Cream Frosting and Cookie Dough Frosting. Or how about the classic elegant taste of Chocolate Cream Cheese [...]