Prickly Pear Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Prickly Pear Cupcakes

Prickly pear cupcakes bring my week of prickly pear eating to a close. While I strongly preferred my prickly pear lemon bars to the prickly pear cupcakes, one friend said that I was doing something akin to comparing a sandwich to ravioli – they are too different to compare. Other friends couldn’t weigh in on whether they liked the the prickly pear cupcakes better or worse than the the prickly pear lemon bars because I hoarded all of the lemon bars for myself! They did have some very positive things to say about the prickly pear cupcakes, though:

• “Heaven!”
  • “I would definitely buy one if they were for sale somewhere.”
  • “The only thing that would make this better would be chocolate.”

OK – those last two quotes were from the same person I talked about in the first paragraph – but they were good quotes. I had to use them.

The other quote that multiple people had, including myself, was that the prickly pear cupcakes were:

• “Generically fruity.”

If I hadn’t mentioned the fact that they contained prickly pear, people would not have been able to identify what the fruit flavor was.

The Prickly Pear Cupcake Recipe

The coolest thing about the prickly pear cupcake recipe was the bubblegum-pink batter. It was so fun! Too bad the cupcake didn’t stay that color after baking. This is a Cupcake Project original recipe.

Prickly Pear Cupcakes

Yield: Makes about 14 cupcakes

Prickly Pear Cupcakes

• 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 1 C + 3 T sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt
  • 1/4 t lemon extract
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/3 C prickly pear juice (You can easily make prickly pear juice with a prickly pear and a food processor or blender. Simply Recipes has a great tutorial on how to make prickly pear juice.)
  • 1/4 C lemon juice

1. With a fork, whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, yogurt, and extracts until blended.
  4. Combine prickly pear juice and lemon juice in a small bowl.
  5. Alternately mix in the flour mixture and juice to the sugar/butter mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with flour.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting with Prickly Pear Lemon Bars

You could top the prickly pear cupcakes with a basic lemon cream cheese frosting. That would be perfectly tasty. But, if you just happen to have some extra prickly pear lemon bars laying around, you can blend them and mix them into the frosting for added zing! That’s what I did, and as you can see in the photo, the prickly pear lemon bars integrated into the frosting so well that no one even knew they were there.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting with Prickly Pear Lemon Bars

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting with Prickly Pear Lemon Bars

• 1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 4 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 t lemon extract
  • 1 1/2 t prickly pear juice (Optional. I only added this to give the frosting a mild pink color. It did not affect the taste at all. You could use food coloring or skip this entirely.)
  • 1 C pulverized prickly pear lemon bars (Optional.)

1. Mix butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. You can add more or less to get your desired level of sweetness and stiffness.
  3. Add lemon extract and, optionally, the prickly pear juice.
  4. If you choose to do so, mix in the prickly pear lemon bars. It could also be fun to sprinkle them on top.

Other Cupcakes With Prickly Pear and Lemon

I want to give a quick shout out to Keesha – The Prissy Cook. Keesha is a fellow prickly pear lover and cupcake baker. Around this time last year, Keesha made lemon cupcakes with prickly pear frosting. She was able to find a prickly pear syrup that made her frosting a gorgeous pink color. Be sure to check out her prickly pear cupcake post for a different take on the prickly pear lemon cupcake and also to read about her amusing tale of transporting cupcakes by bike.

18 Responses to Prickly Pear Cupcakes

1. Elyse April 25, 2009 at 10:13 am #

Mmm, these cupcakes look delicious! Your friend is hysterical by the way–sandwiches to ravioli–that’s classic! She’s right though! In fact, I think that cupcakes and lemon bars are sooo different that I would feel totally justified in piling the lemon prickly pear bars on my plate along with a couple of cupcakes :)

2. Keesha aka PrissyCook April 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks for the shout out Stef!

3. Eliana April 26, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

These cupcakes look super cool. With such a good looking batter, I’d have a hard time not eating it raw. You are so creative. I love checking in to see what you come up with. I wonder what’s next?

4. anna April 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

Pink batter is the best! Too bad it didn’t hold its color. I’ve never had prickly pear but I’d love to try it.

5. Steph April 26, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

I’ve never had a prickly pear before. That batter looks so pretty!

6. Elissa April 26, 2009 at 10:25 pm #

What a beautiful, unusual cupcake! I especially like the look of the frosting, it’s lovely.

7. Jennifer April 27, 2009 at 1:19 am #

Rarely do I hear of someone using prickly pear! I love this idea!! Beautiful cupcakes!

8. Sarah April 27, 2009 at 3:30 pm #

Congrats on wimnning the tomatomania contest! I think the cupcakes are lovely, but I would personally go for the prickly pear lemon bars too!!

9. Patric Chocolate April 29, 2009 at 7:05 am #

This cupcake was delicious! Viviane and I both loved it. I particularly liked the dense, yet moist, cake itself.

Well done!

10. nuri36 August 15, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

These sound so awesome but what could I substitute for the lemon juice? I’m allergic to lemon..

11. Stef August 15, 2009 at 3:42 pm #

Nuri – Just use more prickly pear juice instead of the lemon juice.

12. nuri36 August 15, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

Oh ok, great. What about the lemon extract? Forgot to ask about that.

13. Anonymous December 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

I wanted to add that the produce department of any grocery store should be able to order prickly pears if they are not commonly available. I have a Syrian friend who recommended them, so I had asked the produce manager, and he ordered a case for me! I had some things come up and I didn’t get back to pick them up, so I never tried them. My friend said the ones in Syria look different than the ones we get here, but he said the taste is amazing! Side note: I have read that the juice will stain like crazy, just fyi for anyone who is brave enough to try cutting and using one.

14. Beth May 5, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

I was hoping to make these for a Cinco de Mayo party, but I guess prickly pears are only in season during late summer. It turns out cherimoyas are in season right now, however, and a puree of cherimoya flesh worked quite well in place of the prickly pear juice in these cupcakes. I wonder what other tropical/subtropical fruits you could substitute to make these a year-round treat. . .

1. Prickly Pear Lemon Bars | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] As a pregnant foodie, I often find myself at restaurants with top-tier bartenders and have recently begun to challenge them to make me tasty virgin drinks. Last night at Monarch, I had a drink with almond syrup, pear nectar, pomegranate, and lemon that was like nothing I had ever tasted before – in a good way. But (more relevant to this post), earlier in the week I visited a St. Louis restaurant, Agave, that had several virgin drink options on the menu. The bartender, Keith, recommended a drink that featured prickly pear and lemonade. He gave me a shot of the prickly pear juice on its own to entice me. Loved it! I proceeded to order the drink – which rocked my world. I decided right then that prickly pear would be the flavor of the week. Check out the cupcake version of these bars – prickly pear cupcakes. [...]

2. PRICKLY PEAR CUPCAKES « The Cupcake Blog - July 8, 2013

[...] Prickly Pear cupcakes are a fruity change of pace for the standard cupcake lover. These cream cheese frosted desserts are akin to a lemon cupcake but not as tangy. The texture is quite perfectly normal and the overall appearance is as well. Both children and adults can appreciate this cupcake and they can be decorated quite suitably for any festivity or gathering. Enjoying this new cupcake flavor is easy to do, just take a bite and you’ll see. Source Cupcake Project [...]

3. PRICKLY PEAR CUPCAKES | The art of cupcake - September 10, 2013

4. StudioWed Nashville | Inspiration: The Perfect Pear - December 17, 2013

[...] top left, clockwise:  frosted fruit, prickly pear cupcake, caramelized pear, pear champagne sorbet, frosted pears, spiced pear cupcake, dessert buffet, pear [...]