Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

Kosher for Passover cupcake Photo disclaimer: The Kosher for Passover cupcake featured in the photo above was taken by the esteemed St. Louis food photographer J. Pollack Photography. However, the photshopping of the cupcake onto the Seder plate was done by me and he does NOT approve of such photo mutilation.

Charoses cupcakes will surely be the “wow” dessert on any Passover table. They are lemon-flavored Kosher for Passover cupcakes with baked-in charoses and topped with brown sugar charoses frosting!

Last year, I featured Kosher for Passover chocolate cupcakes. I got many comments from people complaining that they couldn’t eat the cupcakes after a traditional Passover Seder because the cupcakes were dairy.

These charoses cupcakes can be served two ways. Without the frosting, these cupcakes qualify for a Kosher for Passover fleishig meal (no dairy); don’t worry, even without the frosting, they are still better than macaroons. With the frosting, you could serve the cupcakes with a dairy meal.

Charoses Cupcake Recipe

I found the recipe that I used for the charoses cupcakes from Key Ingredient. I modified it slightly to make it a cupcake. I’m listing the recipe with my modifications below.

Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

Yield: Makes about 16 cupcakes

Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

• 5 eggs, separated
  • 1 1/4 C sugar
  • 3/4 C safflower oil
  • Juice of 2 lemons (4 to 5 T)
  • Grated zest of 2 lemons
  • 1 1/4 C matzo cake meal (not matzo meal)
  • About 2 C charoses (Use my charoses recipe if you don't have your own go-to one.)

1. Mix egg yolks and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and zest.
  3. Add matzo cake meal to yolk and sugar mixture alternately oil mixture.
  4. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
  5. Using rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture until well blended.
  6. Fold in remaining beaten egg whites.
  7. Fill cupcake liners about halfway with batter.
  8. Put a spoonful or more, of charoses on top of the batter on each cupcakes.
  9. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Notes

Top with Charoses Frosting. See recipe at the bottom of this post.

Charoses Frosting Recipe

For my charoses frosting I used a basic penuche frosting (brown sugar frosting) and just added charoses to it. It’s a bit gooey (kind of like the frosting on a German chocolate cake) – only even yummier (if you love charoses)! In fact, I just ate an apple and totally enjoyed dipping it in all the leftover frosting. I’m typing with sticky fingers now.

I got the penuche frosting recipe from Southern Food on About.Com. I used this same frosting minus the charoses on my Gluten-free quinoa cupcakes. The recipe made twice as much frosting as I needed. Unless you want extra frosting around for snacking, you could definitely cut this recipe in half.

Charoses Frosting for Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

Charoses Frosting for Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

• 1/2 C butter
  • 1 C brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 C milk
  • 2 C sifted confectioners' sugar (I only used about 1 1/2 C)
  • 2/3 C charoses (Use my charoses recipe if you don't have your own go-to one.)

1. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter.
  2. Add the brown sugar.
  3. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar. (I would highly recommend sifting this confectioners' sugar. It's such a pain to sift, but it ensures that the frosting will be extra smooth.)
  6. Beat until thick enough to spread.
  7. Mix in charoses.
  8. Pour over cupcakes.

Notes

This recipe made twice as much frosting as needed for the cupcake recipe in this post.

Speaking of Passover

Don’t expect many new posts over Passover. I’ll likely be passing over the blog during that time, but, you never know.

24 Responses to Kosher for Passover Cupcakes – Charoses Cupcakes

1. Eliana April 3, 2009 at 10:57 am #

These look like they have great texture. Thanks for sharing!

2. Jennifer Carden April 3, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

No way!! Great idea.

3. Elyse April 3, 2009 at 9:38 pm #

What a fabulous idea! Charoses is my favorite part of the Seder. Those spices, apples, nuts, and Maneshevitz–what a great combination!! I can’t wait to try out these cupakes. They look and sound delicious!

4. Meghan at Making Love In the Kitchen April 4, 2009 at 2:20 pm #

That is genius! We always have so much charoset left after the seder. These look great!

5. Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Ground almond or finely ground hazlenuts mixed together with some potato flour is a good subsitute for wheat flour. Makes delicious cookies! I just mix together what ingredients might work… and it usually does. After all, nothing was perfect, wandering in the desert 4000 years ago. After all, that is what we are re-living, correct?

6. veggievixen April 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm #

holy yum!! i cannot believe you made these. they are fantastic. i have been trying to think of a good dessert for my family’s seder and this would definitely be a good one to wow the crowd!

7. photogmichelle April 6, 2009 at 10:49 am #

I will definitely be making these!!

Do you figure that you can substitute cake meal in most recipes?

8. Stef April 6, 2009 at 10:57 am #

Photog – 5/8 Cup Cake Meal = 1 Cup flour.

9. Leah Sarah April 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

Sounds delicious! This should tide me over while I can’t do “regular” baking during Pesach :)

10. Cakespy April 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

Now these look interesting! I am intrigued!

11. Gigi April 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm #

another great cupcake project winner! looks like a great recipe for passover.

12. Libby April 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm #

Hello. I’ve never had charoses before, so I didn’t quite know how small the apples were supposed to be chopped. Do you usually chop it up in the food processor? I did a medium fine dice by hand, but I think it was supposed more ground up? I had some leftover charoses in my yogurt this morning, and it was great!

I made these cupcakes for a friend’s birthday on Tuesday. It was the day before Passover and I couldn’t find matzo cake meal (the two stores I visited were sold out!), so I used 2 c flour instead. The cupcakes are very fluffy and very lemony, and my batch made 20 instead of 16. Two people asked for the recipe!

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Happy Passover!

13. ~~louise~~ April 11, 2009 at 3:44 am #

Happy Passover, Stef…

14. quixotic April 12, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

i wasn’t able to find matzo cake meal on such short notice here in texas, but i wanted to make these cupcakes for a potluck seder i was attending, so i improvised some. i found a box of manischewitz kosher for passover sponge cake mix, which seemed fairly similar to this recipe, and prepared it according to the package directions, except i added the lemon juice and zest (as in this recipe) to the combination of the cake mix and egg yolks after i combined those. it ended up making enough batter for 24 cupcakes with a little bit leftover — i filled each cup half way and spooned charoses on top like this recipe said, and i baked the cupcakes at 325 for 15 minutes.

i also made the frosting in this recipe, but used earth balance margarine in place of butter and vanilla soymilk in place of milk so the recipe would be pareve. those are kitniyot, but my congregation does passover sephardi style so kitniyot is okay for me.

it all turned out fabulously considering i was doing the last minute flying by the seat of my pants sort of thing. the combination of the charoset and the lemony cupcake is so wonderful! thanks for this recipe!

15. Stef April 13, 2009 at 8:53 am #

Libby – I typically use a food processor. It’s a bit better with smaller chunks, though it doesn’t really make a whole lot of difference. Glad to know that it worked well with regular flour too!

Quixotic – Loved reading about your variation. Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Elisson October 1, 2009 at 8:21 am #

If you make the penuche frosting and you want to be careful about it being kosher for Passover, be sure you use Pesahdik confectioner’s sugar – everyday confectioner’s sugar contains cornstarch to keep it from forming clumps.

This sounds yummy. Charoset tastes great any time of year – I’ve even made a charoset pie!

17. Ozi April 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

my son was bummed becuase his class was having a cupcake bakesale this weekend (during Passover) to raise money for a class trip. We made these charoset cupcakes and he is so happy to get to sell them this weekend during our town’s arts walk. THANK YOU–you makde one little Jewish boy in Olympia, Washington VERY HAPPY!!!!! And I bet all the Jews will be happy to buy them!

18. MJ Shapiro April 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

sounds great but we are having meat at the seder so will need to sub out the butter. do you think i could use olive oil. or virgin coconut oil i try to avoid transfats

19. Stef April 3, 2012 at 2:54 am #

MJ – There is no butter.

1. Matzoh Brei Cupcakes for Passover | Cupcake Project - April 20, 2013

[...] to sneak them onto the Passover menu in unexpected places.  In past years, I’ve brought you charoset cupcakes and gefilte fish cupcakes, and given you a recipe for flourless chocolate cupcakes that are worth [...]

2. Charoses Recipe – Mom’s Recipe | Cupcake Project - May 8, 2013

[...] While I typically experiment and drastically change recipes, there is no messin’ with Momma’s charoses. Well, except for the fact that I used up this charoses in a Kosher for Passover charoses cupcake. [...]

3. Kosher for Passover Chocolate Cupcakes: Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting | Cupcake Project - June 4, 2013

[...] you’d want to eat it even if it were not Passover. If you want a second desert, try these Passover charoses cupcakes. I would highly recommend making the flourless chocolate cupcakes as mini-cupcakes. They are [...]

4. | Foodista: Passover Recipe Roundup - December 1, 2013

[...] Charoses Cupcakes via Cupcake Project [...]

5. Fanatic Cupcakes - June 15, 2014

[...] kosher cupcakes from Cupcake Project  are lemon flavored with baked in charoses.  The charoses flavored frosting does use milk so it [...]